Andre Previn RIP

Jan McNulty

I wasn't the only forum member at the London Symphony Orchestra (of which he was Conductor Emeritus) concert tonight, but his death was announced from the platform, tribute was paid, and the orchestra dedicated the performance to his memory.  They did him proud.  (It included Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini and the full score of Petrushka, not to mention a 4-handed piano reduction - pianist and conductor! - of the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy as an encore, and with so much "ballet" music in it I apologise for not notifying people of it in advance)

• Like 5

My memories of Previn predate his LSO time by several years, from around 1960/61, when my jazz pianist friend Bob introduced me to his Trio albums "Gigi" and "My Fair Lady" - and I recall being quite taken aback when he subsequently turned up in the UK as a classical conductor.

He did so much for British music, championing Walton and Vaughan Williams, and has thankfully left a large number of recordings to enjoy. His early recordings of the Rachmaninov symphonies with the LSO are, to my mind unbeaten, likewise the piano concertos with Ashkenazy, performances by two young men right at the top of their game. And an excellent pianist, particularly in chamber music. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

An all-time classic.

I rather think ‘an all time classic’ refers to Andre Previn as well as the sketch.  He was clearly held in the highest regard by the LSO and audiences, be they in the concert hall or on the BBC.  I somehow can’t see current broadcasters offering a similar programme to ‘Andre Previn’s Music Night’ which helped introduce millions of people to a wide range of the orchestral repertoire in a very appealing and informative way.  And I loved the self deprecating remark I heard the other day when Andre Previn was taking the rostrum for the Vienna Philharmonic in Federmaus one New Year’s Eve - the leader asked if Andre Previn wished to conduct or should the orchestra simply play.   

• Like 1