Maybe we could gather news about dance in the Netherlands here, as their two famous companies have announced their next season:

Het Nationale with a Balanchine bill, Rudi van Dantzig's Romeo and Juliet, a Nutcracker by Wayne Eagling and Toer van Schayk, the world premiere of "Frida" by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Giselle, a triple bill by Wayne McGregor, David Dawson and Juanjo Arqués, and a Beethoven triple bill by Hans van Manen, Toer van Schayk and Wubkje Kuindersma/Ernst Meisner/Remi Wörtmeyer.

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/program/ballet?filter=543

After a five year hiatus, Nederlands Dans Theater is dancing Kylián again!! For their 60th anniversary season, they show repertory by former directors Hans van Manen und Kylián, together with many new ballets by Lightfoot/León, Crystal Pite, Marco Goecke, Edward Clug, Damien Jalet, Medhi Walerksi,  and repertory by Gabriela Carrizo,  Sharon Eyal & Gai Behar, Yoann Bourgeois, Johan Inger and Ohad Naharin. They announce a tour to London

https://www.ndt.nl/en/discover/news/ndt-celebrates-60-years.html

• Like 7

Wow, you're the first British person I know who wants to see Kylián...  😉

Somehow Clement Crisp and lots of bad reviews conveyed the impression that London hates the NDT. But they keep coming back, so I'm sure there is an audience for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angela said:

Wow, you're the first British person I know who wants to see Kylián...  😉

Somehow Clement Crisp and lots of bad reviews conveyed the impression that London hates the NDT. But they keep coming back, so I'm sure there is an audience for them.

I love much of the Kylián choreography I have seen!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coppelia, a new Animation and Ballet Film with Michaela DePrince and Darcey Bussell

Dutch National Ballet announces the filming of Coppelia, an original family film based on the modern version of the ballet classic. In this unique international production, which combines animation and ballet, star ballerina of Dutch National Ballet Michaela DePrince dances the leading role, alongside Daniel Camargo. The cast also includes Igone de Jongh, principal dancer with Dutch National Ballet, the former Bolshoi Ballet and Royal Ballet star Irek Mukhamedov, the British ballet and television star Darcey Bussell, and Dutch dancer and actor Jan Kooijman. An international team of designers and animators is working on the production, shaping the characters and the story. Coppelia is directed by Jeff Tudor, Steven de Beul and Ben Tesseur. The choreographer is Ted Brandsen, director of Dutch National Ballet. The film is expected to be screened at the end of 2020.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'm out of date with Nederlands Dans Theater.  Has Paul Lightfoot stepped down?

I've just done what I should have done in the first place and used google!

Paul Lightfoot announced his intention to step down last October.  He is AD until the end of the 19/20 season:

https://www.ndt.nl/en/discover/news/paul.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Angela said:

Sol León and Paul Lightfoot say goodbye to Nederlands Dans Theater:

https://www.ndt.nl/en/discover/news/sol-paul-say-goodbye.html

I find it a bit sad that NDT is losing the continuity from Kylian to Lightfoot and hopefully would have been beyond if Lightfoot had stayed on in an advisory capacity.

I believe the incoming AD is also a choreographer so it seems a bit strange to me for the company to say they will not have a house choreographer.

• Like 1

I think it's a very good decision for the company.

A few years ago Jiri Kyliàn decided to remove all his pieces from the repertoire, we don't know what was behind this decision but at the end it was a good way to allow NDT to renew itself.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As choreographers Sol León and Paul Lightfoot and some of their important dancers say goodbye to NDT, they released two movies on their website and on their Youtube channel:

https://www.ndt.nl/en/ndtv/

https://www.youtube.com/user/neddanstheater

It would have been their 60th anniversary season, the tour with "Kunstkamer" was cancelled and also the return of Jiri Kyliáns works. From 20/21, Emily Molnar takes over as director.

• 9 months later...

the DNB Raymonda sounds like a traditional classical ballet version (hoorah!)

Raymonda

MARIUS PETIPA, PRODUCTIE EN ADDITIONELE CHOREOGRAFIE RACHEL BEAUJEAN

Grand new production of a famous ballet classic

For the first time in the Netherlands: Marius Petipa’s legendary ballet Raymonda, a completely new version by Associate Artistic director Rachel Beaujean. Her interpretation of this large-scale production,  which presents the classical ballet technique in its most pure and demanding form, adds a surprising new change to the story. Jérôme Kaplan, known for his beautiful designs among which those for Don Quichot, will design the sets and costumes.

• February 2022

Yes, the music is glorious, so beautiful. But well, do I really want to see the ice queen that Raymonda has become in Soviet and French versions? I liked the innocent girl in white in Vikharev's reconstruction at Milano, what a difference...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Yes, the music is glorious, so beautiful. But well, do I really want to see the ice queen that Raymonda has become in Soviet and French versions? I liked the innocent girl in white in Vikharev's reconstruction at Milano, what a difference...

Ray Barra’s version for Munich looks interesting too.  Although I haven’t seen the full version ... only clips.

From Lauretta Summerscales https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCa7atYAAxt/?igshid=thxe23qaklg

• 1 year later...

Nanine Linning new artistic director Scapino Ballet Rotterdam

Dutch choreographer Nanine Linning will be the new artistic director of Scapino Ballet Rotterdam. She succeeds Ed Wubbe who set the artistic course for thirty years. Ed Wubbe will remain with Scapino as artistic director until December 2024. Nanine Linning was already resident choreographer at Scapino from 2001 to 2006, after which she founded her own dance company. She will start in August 2024 alongside Ed Wubbe, who will step down at the end of December 2024. In the years 2023 and 2024 she will already be intensively involved in, among other things, developing the new four-year policy plan 2025 - 2028.

Nanine Linning has gained international recognition over the past twenty years with her large multidisciplinary productions that combine dance and opera, design, fashion and visual art. With her strong visual language and explosive dance, she reaches a wide audience, which also follows her faithfully in the Netherlands. Performances such as BaconRequiem and Zero have received international acclaim. Nanine Linning works closely with various internationally renowned artists such as Teodor Currentzis, Alexandros Tsolakis, Yuima Nakazato, Alexey Retinsky and Studio Drift. Her collaborations with Iris van Herpen and Bart Hess led to exhibitions in several museums.

From 2009 to 2018, Linning was artistic director of the dance companies of Theater Osnabrück and Theater und Orchester Heidelberg where she was also co-founder of a production house and a festival.
Since then she has worked with companies such as Boston Ballet, Stuttgart Ballet, Bavarian State Opera and Ballet and musicaeterna, as well as with the Dutch National Touring Opera and the Netherlands Chamber Choir in collaboration with her own German dance company.

Nanine Linning becomes the fifth artistic director in the 76-year existence of Scapino, the oldest dance company in the Netherlands. In 1945, Scapino was founded as a youth dance company by Ms. Hans Snoek. She was succeeded in 1970 by Armando Navarro, who introduced such major family performances as The Nutcracker and Pulcinella. After a two-year leadership by Nils Christe, Ed Wubbe became artistic director in 1993.

Under Ed Wubbe's leadership, Scapino grew into a high-profile and innovative contemporary dance company. With his large-scale thematic productions in which he merged multiple disciplines, he enriched dance and managed to bring it to a large audience. In addition, he has given many young talents a prominent place in the company. Ed Wubbe created more than seventy choreographies for Scapino, including such successful pieces as PearlTING! and Oscar.

Fatimazhra Belhirch, Chair of the Supervisory Board of Scapino Ballet Rotterdam: 

"With the appointment of Nanine, Scapino Ballet Rotterdam can start preparing for a new, exciting chapter in its nearly 80-year existence. The Supervisory Board is confident that Nanine, in close cooperation with the passionate and professional team of Scapino, will be able to further develop the position of the company in the city of Rotterdam and that the repertoire will attract many audiences on the many Dutch stages that Scapino visits every year. The international ambitions will also be further expanded under the leadership of Nanine Linning. The Supervisory Board is looking forward to working with Nanine."

Nanine Linning: 

"I feel honored to write a new chapter in the history of this adventurous company. Thinking outside the box, collaborating with other disciplines and sensing the Zeitgeist are qualities of Scapino that I feel strongly connected to. I look forward to working in culturally vibrant Rotterdam and sharing our passion for the art of dance with a wide (inter)national audience."

https://www.scapinoballet.nl/en/nanine-linning-new-artistic-director-scapino-ballet-rotterdam

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Angela said:

Season 2023/2024 at Dutch National Ballet:

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/nieuw-seizoen-2324/het-nationale-ballet

There are some rather tempting programmes eg Raymonda (December), Giselle (october;), 2 Ratmansky ballets to Stravinsky: The Fairy's Kiss, The Firebird (June), a Dutch triple: ballets by Kylian, Van Manen, David Dawson , Milena Sidorova (April); the (full length) Frida (February).

There's less Balanchine than DNB sometimes offers, but the amazingly modern Four Temperaments is in a quadruple bill that includes ballets by Van Manen and Brandsen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1