The Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Spring 2019

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed, then - it's not as if there are a load of alternatives at the moment!

Edit: sorry, that was in relation to Corrales (although in fact it applies to Clarke too, for that matter) - my page hadn't refreshed.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I'm noting that there are a considerable number of ROH operatic replacements as well at the moment :) 

I must be luckier with opera than with ballet then! I've just looked back over my theatregoing list & can think of fewer than a dozen replacement singers I've seen over my last 15 years of ROH operagoing.

• Like 1

Mr Reece Clarke posted on his Instagram story a video of himself clay pigeon shooting at Luton Hoo Estate. Perhaps he was pulled from the Don Q performances so as not to further aggravate his injury and keep him healthy for R&J? Just my speculation. I look forward to reading all your thoughts on R&J. 

Jan Parry mentions that Cuthbertson isn't the "headstrong" Juliet of MacMillan's ballet. I'm curious about this comment because I've seen a number of Juliets and it seems that there's always been the "moonlit" Juliet type and then the more headstrong rebellious Juliet. Both can be equally effective.

"Moonlit" Juliets - Margot Fonteyn (on film), Alessandra Ferri, Alina Cojocaru, Evgenia Obraztsova

"Rebellious" Juliets - Natalia Osipova, Tamara Rojo, Diana Vishneva

I would imagine Lynn Seymour was a rebellious Juliet and Antoinette Sibley a moonlit one? (I never saw either and practically no film exists of them.)

• Like 2

I enjoy reading Jann Parry’s reviews but sometimes I think she mistakes opinion for authority.

Edited to add: I know she is an authority on MacMillan but isn’t it a large part of the MacMillan legend that he allows his dancers a great deal of freedom of interpretation?

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 5

"Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Romeo and Juliet. We are contacting you to let you know that, due to injury, Steven McRae is replaced by Ryoichi Hirano as Romeo on Saturday 13 April and Saturday 27 April".

On 07/04/2019 at 17:00, Lizbie1 said:

I enjoy reading Jann Parry’s reviews but sometimes I think she mistakes opinion for authority.

Edited to add: I know she is an authority on MacMillan but isn’t it a large part of the MacMillan legend that he allows his dancers a great deal of freedom of interpretation?

Yes....how dull it would be if they interpreted things the same way.  A bit like Manon;  we can have the naive innocent, or the little vamp who knows just what she is doing.  This is why I go to see many casts in the same ballet, because I expect, and usually get, such varying interpretations of the same characters, so it makes me think.    

• Like 10

That's good news about Corrales. I believe he had an operation on his foot some time ago but don't know the nature of the injury. Just hope he is now fully recovered anyway. With some injuries you can still keep fairly fit and be quite active .....but just not ballet fit! 

When I had  an Achilles injury once after about six weeks  I was swimming, carefully doing Pilates and yoga .....and starting to walk normally without a limp etc.....but just not back at ballet ....and then after about another three months  did just a couple of classes a week but even then only the barre initially ....and I certainly wasn't jumping again for seven or eight months!! And this was not the most serious Achilles you can have ....where it actually snaps or ruptures. 

The body is totally amazing though as just as you think things might never get back to normal they do! 

• Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:30, Dawnstar said:

I must be luckier with opera than with ballet then! I've just looked back over my theatregoing list & can think of fewer than a dozen replacement singers I've seen over my last 15 years of ROH operagoing.

Perhaps you don't see as much opera as I do, but I can think of individual runs of an opera that have had four or five cast changes over the course of the run!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RuthE said:

Perhaps you don't see as much opera as I do, but I can think of individual runs of an opera that have had four or five cast changes over the course of the run!

I see far less opera than you do! I wasn't saying the the ROH doesn't have lots of cast changes in opera, just that I've been fortunate not to have been affected by that many personally, unlike my short time watching the RB.

• Like 1

I know it's relatively early days as yet, but I was wondering whether anyone has a feel for whether there are specific Mercutios/Tybalts assigned to specific Romeos/Juliets?  For example, would you expect, say, the first-night M/T to be in all performances of the Ball/Cuthbertson cast, or does it tend to vary according to who's available?  I'm sure they'd prefer to keep them the same, but does it actually happen?

Also, are the company on a break between this coming Saturday and the 25th, or am I missing something in the scheduling?

The Mercutios and Tybalts seem to be assigned. If one enquires of individual dancers as to when they are on, the answer (almost invariably) is "I'm in x's  and y's cast" - i.e. naming 'their' Romeo(s).

Given the amount of fighting involved, that makes sense.

There is an RB in Class on the 17th and an Insight on the 23rd. It feels like a week in which the next Triple Bill and the second tranche of R&Js concentrate on rehearsals.

• Like 1

Had a fabulous evening at the performance last night (Cuthbertson/Ball). It was our first visit to the ROH in person, having seen many RB relays in the cinema. Wonderful all round! My budding dancer daughter was mesmerised.

• Like 16

Romeo and Juliet is one of my favourite ballets. Last night’s performance went beyond ‘ an old favourite’ to the realm of living and breathing the tragic story step by step, note by note, breath by breath

This was due to the superb dancing and acting skills of all the lead roles, the wonderful orchestra playing Prokofiev’s beautiful music plus a large sprinkling of fairy dust, of fire and spice, of magic and mystery. Just one of those very special nights.

Matthew Ball’s Romeo was heartfelt, his dancing a joy to watch, his emotions clearly portrayed as they moved across his handsome features, his supportive partnering giving Lauren Cuthbertson the freedom to fully explore the role of Juliet knowing how well he would look after her.

Lauren’s Juliet was so nuanced, from the delightful child dancing with her nurse, to the young lover and then the desperation and hopelessness of her final scene.

Lauren’s dancing was so light and fluid , her acting skills faultless. She paid attention to every detail required to tell her story.

In a very stellar cast, Gary Avis stood out as a ferocious Tybalt, adding a level of inebriation to his wrath in the duelling scene which fuelled the drama.

Valentino  Zucchetti was a lively mischievous Mercutio with James Hay as Benvolio . Itziar Mendizabel danced a frolicsome lead Harlot with great zest. Ryiochi Hirano showed us a baffled Paris who could not understand Juliet’s disdain for him, his grief at the end sincere, his murder unjust. 

Marcelino Sambe was an expressive and energetic Mandolin Dancer .

So many other characters gave their all. So many of the audience were in tears as the red curtains fell.

Bravo the Royal Ballet !  

Edited by Mandy Kent
Typo
  • Like 17

12 hours ago, Mandy Kent said:

Romeo and Juliet is one of my favourite ballets. Last night’s performance went beyond ‘ an old favourite’ to the realm of living and breathing the tragic story step by step, note by note, breath by breath

This was due to the superb dancing and acting skills of all the lead roles, the wonderful orchestra playing Prokofiev’s beautiful music plus a large sprinkling of fairy dust, of fire and spice, of magic and mystery. Just one of those very special nights.

Matthew Ball’s Romeo was heartfelt, his dancing a joy to watch, his emotions clearly portrayed as they moved across his handsome features, his supportive partnering giving Lauren Cuthbertson the freedom to fully explore the role of Juliet knowing how well he would look after her.

Lauren’s Juliet was so nuanced, from the delightful child dancing with her nurse, to the young lover and then the desperation and hopelessness of her final scene.

Lauren’s dancing was so light and fluid , her acting skills faultless. She paid attention to every detail required to tell her story.

In a very stellar cast, Gary Avis stood out as a ferocious Tybalt, adding a level of inebriation to his wrath in the duelling scene which fuelled the drama.

Valentino  Zucchetti was a lively mischievous Mercutio with James Hay as Benvolio . Itziar Mendizabel danced a frolicsome lead Harlot with great zest. Ryiochi Hirano showed us a baffled Paris who could not understand Juliet’s disdain for him, his grief at the end sincere, his murder unjust. 

Marcelino Sambe was an expressive and energetic Mandolin Dancer .

So many other characters gave their all. So many of the audience were in tears as the red curtains fell.

Bravo the Royal Ballet !  

I agree wholeheartedly! We were also extremely impressed by the swordfighting, and the quality of the acting in the final act by Lauren C and Matthew Ball was so impressive. Wonderful to see such a performance!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mandy Kent said:

Regarding the sword fighting;  When Romeo and Tybalt were fighting hell for leather, Tybalt sustained an injury! I know because Gary showed me the graze on his hand at the stage door that night 

It doesn't surprise me too much - it did look very authentic swordfighting! Hope Tybalt recovers quickly!

Hugely excited at the prospect of today’s double Romeo and Juliet - I’ve been looking forward to the public debuts of Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe ever since the casting was announced (and for some time before then) and I’m delighted that Akane Takada and Ryoichi Hirano are dancing this evening.  How wonderful to escape the everyday pressures, Arts Council pronouncements and ROH management irksomeness etc, and be transported by the fabulous Royal Ballet’s pursuit of excellence.  All good wishes to today’s performers, many of whom I’m sure will be dancing/playing in both performances.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Hugely excited at the prospect of today’s double Romeo and Juliet - I’ve been looking forward to the public debuts of Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe ever since the casting was announced (and for some time before then) and I’m delighted that Akane Takada and Ryoichi Hirano are dancing this evening.  How wonderful to escape the everyday pressures, Arts Council pronouncements and ROH management irksomeness etc, and be transported by the fabulous Royal Ballet’s pursuit of excellence.  All good wishes to today’s performers, many of whom I’m sure will be dancing/playing in both performances.

Have a great time John! 

Can't be there for the O’Sullivan/ Sambe matinee which should be pretty special,  but looking forward very much to Takada and Hirano again this evening, based on their earlier debuts. 

• Like 1

Magnificent, unbelievably good performances from Sambe and O'Sullivan this afternoon. Somehow they made all the old familiar steps seem entirely fresh and different; even the parts that usually sag (most of Act 2) were livelier. His superb dancing filled the stage out of all proportion to his physical size and it was a pleasure to behold: plush, soft landings, and excellent partnering. His Romeo was ardent and passionate: the final sword fight between Romeo and Tybalt was once of the most ferocious I've seen. She blew me away. Her Juliet was completely mesmerising, nothing like a debut, full of detail, she completely inhabited the role and was absolutely heart rending. 

• Like 22

I was left weeping, wrung out and blown away by this afternoon’s matinee.  I feel privileged to have been there.  What a partnership, and what incredible artists in their own right.  More later, after I recover.  Wow, just wow.   

• Like 15