The Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Spring 2019

• John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Spring 2019
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this thread has been started, may I ask a couple of questions? 1) Based on previous runs, is it likely that the RB will announce any more casting nearer the time, like they did with Don Q? 2) If you're sitting restricted view stalls circle, is either left or right better in terms of what you miss or are they about the same?

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Now this thread has been started, may I ask a couple of questions? 1) Based on previous runs, is it likely that the RB will announce any more casting nearer the time, like they did with Don Q? 2) If you're sitting restricted view stalls circle, is either left or right better in terms of what you miss or are they about the same?

I would choose left, so as not to miss Juliet's run down the stairs in the balcony scene.

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies.

1) Oh well, I guess I'll just have to hope I get a good variety of Mercutios, Tybalts, etc.

2) I currently have 2 restricted view tickets, 1 for each side (different dates, obviously), so it sounds like I might as well stick to both of them rather than try to do any exchanging. Public booking being so chaotic on 30th January, I just grabbed what I could at the time. (Now I just need a Frankenstein thread to be started so I can ask the same view question for that...)

8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks for the replies.

1) Oh well, I guess I'll just have to hope I get a good variety of Mercutios, Tybalts, etc.

2) I currently have 2 restricted view tickets, 1 for each side (different dates, obviously), so it sounds like I might as well stick to both of them rather than try to do any exchanging. Public booking being so chaotic on 30th January, I just grabbed what I could at the time. (Now I just need a Frankenstein thread to be started so I can ask the same view question for that...)

Slight preference for left side - there's quite a bit of important action on the right side which is easily missed

I suppose there's a chance that a bit of revision has taken place though, so my comment could be wrong.

• Like 1

Having watched the R&J blu ray a couple of days before booking opened I settled on the left side of the Stalls Circle.

I was quite surprised to see about 10 SCS places for the 1st June Osipova performance become available this afternoon so I snapped one up, there's still two available now!

• Like 1

I've said this on another thread but this is the more appropriate one.

I noticed that on the RB Dancers page..... Corrales who has been injured since November...is shown as having R and J coming up as his next involvement ...so am hoping that this means they expect him to be recovered for his scheduled performances in this ballet ....I'm seeing him with Hayward in May. 

I also cannot remember properly which is the best side to sit on .....if you were very much on one side .....I think towards the end of the ballet there might be more activity over to the right of the stage ...so left side would be better ...but am sure the balcony is more to the left side ....though only a bit so reasonably central .....but if Rob S has just watched on video that would definitely be better than my memory as its some years since I've seen R and J!! 

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:24, LinMM said:

I also cannot remember properly which is the best side to sit on .....if you were very much on one side .....I think towards the end of the ballet there might be more activity over to the right of the stage ...so left side would be better ...but am sure the balcony is more to the left side ....though only a bit so reasonably central .....but if Rob S has just watched on video that would definitely be better than my memory as its some years since I've seen R and J!! 

The balcony is at the back on the right (that is, stage left, house right).

Good to see early notice of the Romeo & Juliet Insight on News.  

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/watch-live-the-royal-ballet-rehearse-romeo-and-juliet-on-13-march-2019

But less good to see: ‘Comments for this article are closed.’  There was never a facility to comment as far as I can see and I fear the exclusion of a facility to comment on News items now appears to be the norm.  Perhaps a better line would be: ‘Comments are welcome on FaceBook’ or whatever social media the ROH would like audiences to use.

• Like 1

BUT........... it would be nice to know what is being included in the Insight and which dancers are being featured. Also, why put up a photo of Lamb and McRae who last danced the roles together years ago and are not cast as partners in the forthcoming run.

I have a feeling that the Comments are Closed situation is borne of there being a fair amount of critical comment(about the ROH's approach) being submitted for recent threads

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alison said:

I think you'll find it's paid-for, tickets only, Odyssey - as part of the Ballet Studio Live thing (for which I'm trying to get rid of a ticket in the ticket exchange forum).

Oh thanks for clarifying.this Alison. I thought I was being helpful after I saw a tweet on the Viviana Durante Company Twitter feed which has also been retweeted by Hamilton that said it was free entry. There are likely to be some very disappointed people who turn up hoping to get a free admission. I would have loved to relieve you of your ticket but I can’t be in central London today.

25 minutes ago, capybara said:

FREE - at the ROH? Pigs might fly! The rehearsals last for 50 minutes each and cost £15 a ticket.

That's why I go for the £8 restricted views!  Really annoying that I can't use the ticket - and people were saying some time ago that tickets can't be returned?  Presumably why so many of them go to waste :( 

2 hours ago, alison said:

That's why I go for the £8 restricted views!  Really annoying that I can't use the ticket - and people were saying some time ago that tickets can't be returned?  Presumably why so many of them go to waste :( 

Well, the box office has taken the rehearsal ticket back, which is good.  Hopefully someone will snap it up, although of course online booking has finished.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Email just received from ROH.....

"Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Romeo and Juliet. We are contacting you to let you know that, due to injury, Steven McRae is replaced by Ryoichi Hirano as Romeo on Thursday 28 March".

Poor Steven.  No sooner is he back than he's off injured again.  At least Ryo had already learned the role, but it's going to mean a significant difference in physiques.

Oh dear! 😞 

Has anyone heard any news about casting of the other major roles, by the way?  I can’t believe nobody at the ROH knows who’s dancing Mercutio et al when opening night is tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Has anyone heard any news about casting of the other major roles, by the way?  I can’t believe nobody at the ROH knows who’s dancing Mercutio et al when opening night is tomorrow. 

Tristan Dyer is dancing Benvolio but I don’t know which performances. 

• Like 1

Am I missing something? I assumed Mr Campbell was not dancing Mercutio because he’s dancing Romeo, but apparently not. 😕

WRT casting, I’ve just sent a grumpy polite email to the ROH asking if there’s any chance of knowing who will be dancing the other major roles tomorrow night. 

• Like 4