Hammond lower school audition solos

Penguinboysmum

Hi

Does anyone have any experience/advice regarding the dance and vocal solos? Is it better to go simple and demonstrate performance or be more technical? 

DS has been invited to audition for the Hammond having been recognised at the boys day for having real potential for full time vocational training but having only auditioned (unsuccessfully) for Elmhurst, the audition day at Hammond seems far more on depth and we're not really sure what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by PenguinBoysMum
Typos
  • Like 1

My daughter did quite a dance that she’d performed at festivals. It wasn’t the most technically complicated, but as she knew it so well she was able to perform it very confidently. I’m guessing they can see technical skills in the ballet class, so this is the time to show performance?

Regarding the vocals, it’s not as scary as it sounds. DD sang Naughty from Matilda but some children didn’t prepare anything and just told to sing ‘happy birthday’. They don’t sing in front of each other.

I hope your son enjoys the day, it’s a lovely school and DD is very happy there. She found the audition day very low-key and friendly.

DS auditioned last year, sadly unsuccessfully but his solo was one we had come up with to a piece of music he liked. (Music from The Hobbit) It wasn’t technically brilliant but it showed musicality and he took great delight in wearing a t shirt he had designed for it.

He is very slight for his age (prem baby) and the feedback he was given was to work on upper body strength. He sang Happy Birthday as he’s not really a singer! Lol! 

He enjoyed the day, as a parent it was useful to find out about funding and bursaries.

He plans to try again maybe next year, when he’s a bit more muscley (as he says!) xx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, margarite said:

My daughter did quite a dance that she’d performed at festivals. It wasn’t the most technically complicated, but as she knew it so well she was able to perform it very confidently. I’m guessing they can see technical skills in the ballet class, so this is the time to show performance?

Regarding the vocals, it’s not as scary as it sounds. DD sang Naughty from Matilda but some children didn’t prepare anything and just told to sing ‘happy birthday’. They don’t sing in front of each other.

I hope your son enjoys the day, it’s a lovely school and DD is very happy there. She found the audition day very low-key and friendly.

I can’t edit my post now but the first sentence should read ‘My daughter did a dance that she’d performed at festivals’  -  not as I mistakenly put ‘quite a dance’. I sounded like an over-proud dance mom 😆

I agree with Margarite, they can see their technical skills in class.  In terms of the dance solo they really like to see children "perform" and show their love of dance.

For the song they want to see that someone will have a go.  It is a dance course with a huge emphasis on classical ballet but they wll take on children who have potential in other areas.  My daughter knew her ballet was not her strongest point so she concentrated on trying to give the best vocal performance possible on her audition. (She did Quiet from Matilda which was fairly new out back then).  Castle on a Cloud and Where Is Love are mind numbingly popular as audition songs and something else is a nice change but it won't go against you.  (But please no She Used to Be Mine - its so age inappropriate)

I agree that performance skills are the things to show in the dance. It could be a festival dance or an enchainment from an exam or something choreographed by teacher and/or child.

Being willing to try the singing is most important thing.

DD found the auditions relaxed and friendly.

DD pulled her own dance solo together.  Sometimes they ask if they choreographed it, and they do like to hear if they have.  It certainly won't make a difference though.  As others have said, it's about performance, so important it's something he feels really confident with rather than worrying about what comes next.  It's also worth noting, my DD was auditioning for Y10 entry, and wanted to show something she pulled together herself.  I'm not sure if we'd have done the same if she was auditioning for Y7.

Don't fear the singing.  My DD did, and we had emailed in to say she did not want to perform a song (it wasn't mandated), but she was then encouraged to do so on the day itself.  She text me a little freaked out, but she rose to the challenge and sung Happy Birthday (as many of them do if they have no other song prepared).  She put the emphasis on performing and 'giving it a go', and the panel do appreciate them doing it.  Trust me when I say she is NOT the best of singers, but it really doesn't make a difference on gaining a place on the dance course.  DD is there now (and taking private singing lessons, haha!).

Good luck to your DS. :)

Edited by Danceintherain

I'm so pleased for you! The recall day is shorter and parents just drop and leave.

There's a ballet class, then a modern class and then they do a musical theatre workshop. In this they learn a song from a musical and each sing a line. DD was nervous about this bit, but I think it's to identify all rounders rather than penalise anyone if that makes sense. There are children in her year who have funding and aren't particularly strong singers.

As far as I can remember I dropped off at 9am and picked her up around 1pm.