Bolshoi Casting Posted for Summer Season at the ROH

It is PERHAPS not extraordinary that Shriner is given another London crack at DQ after her extraordinarily poor showing on her last outing in such here.  (I still remember Ovcharenko - who on the surface at least appears as if he would/could be a pretty decent fellow - determinedly refusing to come out for front of ROH curtain calls out of (what I can only assume was) entirely understandable embarrassment.  I so felt for him.)  What I found particularly notable in seeing yesterday's casting announcement was the fact that the Bolshoi Ballet are giving her the opening (reviewed) slot for such here ... and with Vasiliev - given all his glorious London triumphs in this production in the past.  They must have great confidence in her now.  Wonder if the Hochhausers will have Osipova stored in the wings somewhere.  (Somehow I would imagine not.  Clocks can rarely be turned pack.  Just think of the pain that could be spared if they could - says he with an aching back.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Thank you for the heads up. 

The 2 Saturday Spartacus perfs look tempting although the ticket prices had me ruling that one out. One of the Bright Streams looks ok.  Having seen Vasiliev in his earlier prime I am not sure I want to see him this time round.  Quite a few new names on the DonQ rota, I was a really hoping for husband and wife team Anna Tikhomirova and Artem Ovcharenko in DonQ but alas it's not to be. I fear the ticket cost will restrict me to just a couple of perfs rather than the whole lot this time.  It's not what I would call a sparkling selection especially as no Alexandrova.  The only big name lady I'd like to see is Shipulina.

• Like 2

Just now, capybara said:

Shrainer has, since then, been given the Don Q cinema relay and is obviously still very much in favour with the Bolshoi management. She is coached by Marina Kondriateva, I believe, and that is a very real indication of her perceived value within the Company.

It is also noticeable that other 'new names' have their 'place in the sun'. Kovalyova is top of my list even though I'd rather not see that version of Swan Lake again. And Marchenkova and Belyakov were pretty impressive as Gamzatti and Solor in the recent relay of La Bayadere.

I'm actually excited by the prospect of seeing the emerging generation of Bolshoi stars. However, my personal pick for Don Q is the Krysanova/Lantratov combo.

But the prices (ouch!)

• Like 3

Yes ouch. Had been hoping to see Chudin but he's only in Swan Lake which in many ways I really don't want to see again ( their version that is!)

With a marvellous summer of ballet from UK and other visiting companies about to arrive I shall perhaps spend the money on more of those instead...

Of the ladies it's Shipulina (as a probable farewell) and Krysanova I want to catch and fortunately they're both appearing in both Spartacus and the Bright Stream, which are the two ballets I'm going to fork out for. I just need to decide which performances of each: anyone got any advice?

7 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Maria Alexandrova resigned from the Bolshoi in 2017.  I don’t know whether she is contracted elsewhere or freelancing now?

As I understood it she has a “working under contract” status with the Bolshoi, as does Kaptsova.

• 3 months later...

I feared the worst when I read this but am quite pleased to get the chance to see Igor Tsvirko in Don Q (instead of Ivan Vasiliev) and David Motta Soares ( instead of Lantratov) have heard of him and his photos certainly look good, the Bolshoi do seem to have tried to replace only the injured dancer and not the leading couple, in Don Q at least, so hopefully they will stick to this.

10 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Just a note to say that I see the casting for the Bolshoi season at the ROH has now been (quietly) updated given Lantratov's sad departure from the roster.  Vasiliev is out of the first Don Q ... indeed will not appear in that production now at all ... but holds to three of his four previously noted performances.  There are a number of shifts in other listings and so if you bought a ticket to see a particular dancer it might be wise to take another peek.  

I should perhaps note - in light of the thunder thigh debate - that Alexander Campbell does not - with regret - appear in any of the re-arrangements. :) 

• Like 3

On 18/02/2019 at 18:19, Scheherezade said:

But Krysanova and Lantratov. And Vasiliev.

I don't see the appeal of Krysanova but I LOVE Lantratov above all and I also like Vasiliev! So, I would love to see them both! *Edit* I spoke too soon :( Seems they are both out due to injury? 

Edited by HappyTurk

• 4 weeks later...

Vasiliev is out of Spartacus now, replaced by Lobukhin, who also dances his existing performances, there might be other changes, only looked at Spartacus, I suppose it is still possible to exchange one Bolshoi ticket for another?

37 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

Vasiliev is out of Spartacus now, replaced by Lobukhin, who also dances his existing performances, there might be other changes, only looked at Spartacus, I suppose it is still possible to exchange one Bolshoi ticket for another?

Yes, it is. There is a 4 GBP fee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beryl H said:

Replaced by Tsvirko in Bright Stream.

I find a Bolshoi season is best enjoyed by showing up on the day to find out who is actually dancing. It's nice to have a look at the initial casting to see who they're intending to bring over, but never expect all of the dancers to actually make it to London.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Coated said:

I find a Bolshoi season is best enjoyed by showing up on the day to find out who is actually dancing. It's nice to have a look at the initial casting to see who they're intending to bring over, but never expect all of the dancers to actually make it to London.

I agree! I'll wait a while before I offload the ticket which might just have become surplus to requirements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James said:

According to the website, Vasiliev is replaced by Denis Rodkin on 1st August, not by Mikhail Lobukhin.

As per the Trocs, "There will be changes..."

(though I doubt if Vasiliev's absence will be explained by him going on "an errand of mercy to replace an ailing dancer of Les Grands Ballet Imperial de....  Milton Keynes")

• Like 7