Studying/working in Germany - and height

Dancesteps

10 hours ago, Boys_can_dance said:

My son is currently studying ballet in Germany, and they certainly like their tall dancers! They also teach Vaganova. May be worth considering. 

Hi, hope you don’t mind I ask a question. I am considering Germany for my child. She is currently at 1.62 m and is 16. Yes, we have been told her height maybe a tad short for Germany.. what are your thoughts? thank you. 

What is that in “old money, Dancesteps - 5 ft 3 or thereabouts? Is your daughter still growing?  My daughter didn’t stop growing until she was 18.  

If she stays at that height then yes, it *might* be a tad short for German classical ballet companies, purely based on the fact that the last audition invitation I saw for Germany asked for a minimum height of 5’5 for female ballet dancers.

That said, it was a couple of years ago (my dd had to change path and is now at Uni) so by the time your dd graduates from upper school it could have changed.  I’m sure there are plenty of companies elsewhere with shorter minimum heights. 

Ok, 5 ft 3 inches should be 1.6m. My child is 1.62m(5 ft 3.78 inches) now, and she should still be growing. She had her growth spurt on the late side as compared to girls her age. Menses at 15. So, I presume she could still be growing while the rest has stopped. She was the shortest kid in class when she was 12. And when she met up with these kids again end of last year, she has caught up and in fact, taller than some of them. 

Yes, I kept hearing that the German vocational schools look for taller kids vs UK vocational schools. 

Edited by Dancesteps
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Dancesteps said:

Hi, hope you don’t mind I ask a question. I am considering Germany for my child. She is currently at 1.62 m and is 16. Yes, we have been told her height maybe a tad short for Germany.. what are your thoughts? thank you. 

I think they like them to be a bit taller, in excess of 1.65m. But then, there is considerable variation in the dancers- as long as she’s not absolutely diminutive...

My son was also rejected for height by one ( also from a family of “late growers”- my brother didn’t start growth spurt until he was 16), but given a place by 2 others. Good luck!

• Like 2