NYB Auditions - advice sought

BalletBear

Hi! 

I am auditioning for NYB in Birmingham on Sunday. I was just wondering if you could answer a few queries I had?

1. I wear glasses but never for normal class (I manage fine most of the time). I have tried getting contact lenses but as I live in quite a rural area there are no appointments for a long time. Has anyone or their children got in to NYB (or made it to the final) wearing glasses? Or should I just not wear them like normal and squint a bit?

2. Following on from that point, would I be at a disadvantage if I asked the teacher to repeat a step/sequence/exercise?

3. Finally, do you know if the preliminary auditions include pointe work?  

Thank you for any help you can give me, I really appreciate it. 😊

• Jan McNulty changed the title to NYB Auditions - advice sought

Hi BalletBear! My dd auditioned last year for NYB prelims and will be there on Sunday as well :). In terms of glasses, I can't remember if anyone wore them to the audition, but it's a very friendly set-up and I highly doubt you'd be rejected just for wearing them to the audition. They are looking for technique and performance. The audition is run as a class where the teacher walks you through and then in lines you dance, so maybe 8 at a time. That's after warm-up as a whole group and some barre work. If you didn't catch what to do, there's probably chance to ask at certain points. As for pointe, it depends which age group you are in. 13+ need to bring their pointe shoes, though last year they didn't actually put them on in the first audition class. If you have Instagram, you might see some photos of the London auditions a couple of weeks ago. Good luck for Sunday!

Thank you so much for your help! I’m thinking that I will bring them with me and see how big the studio is/how many people are in my group, as at least I will have them as a reassurance. Do you know if I were to bring them into the class, if  they were not needed, I could put them by my water and pointe shoes? I did watch some of the ‘lives’ on their Instagram from London so I may watch over them again. Sorry to be asking so many questions, but do you know what standard the 14 (15 in June) year olds class will be at? Only because I think I’m a bit behind for my age (RAD Intermediate) so i would like to know before I go in and panic! Thank you so much once again, I really appreciate it!

PS. Good luck to your dd! 

1 hour ago, BalletBear said:

Thank you so much for your help! I’m thinking that I will bring them with me and see how big the studio is/how many people are in my group, as at least I will have them as a reassurance. Do you know if I were to bring them into the class, if  they were not needed, I could put them by my water and pointe shoes? I did watch some of the ‘lives’ on their Instagram from London so I may watch over them again. Sorry to be asking so many questions, but do you know what standard the 14 (15 in June) year olds class will be at? Only because I think I’m a bit behind for my age (RAD Intermediate) so i would like to know before I go in and panic! Thank you so much once again, I really appreciate it!

PS. Good luck to your dd! 

I'm sure you could leave the glasses with your water bottle etc. and then you'll have them nearby if you need them. You could always ask one of the people in charge maybe when you sign in and get your numbers to pin on - they were really friendly and approachable at last year's auditions. :) Two of my dd's friends were at the London auditions in the 14 year olds class, and they are working at RAD Intermediate level too, if that's any reassurance. The standard of dance is high, but just be confident and give it your best on the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2019 at 19:19, BalletBear said:

Oh and I’m not expecting anything, I’m just going to take the opportunity for a great masterclass in some lovely studios and if anything come of it then that’s an added bonus! 

Hi BalletBear - hope you enjoyed it on Sunday? My dd had a really positive audition experience. Now just the waiting game to see about finals. Good luck! :)

Yes I did thank you! I was in Group 3. Some of the steps I hadn’t really learnt but I gave them my best shot, however while overall I wasn’t worried about my technique that much, I did have a bit of trouble remembering the exercises. I’m really not expecting anything but I loved the Ballet Mistress and I was able to see a friend I met at OPES so I’m just happy for an extra class! Hopefully your dd will make it to finals! It would be amazing if I did. I saw on Instagram that it would be the 5th of March, which feels like ages! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I just wanted to say that I didn’t get a place in the final audition but I’m so happy for a friend that has! She didn’t get through the preliminary last year so it just shows that you should always try again (which what I will do next year)! The audition standard was very high and I think that there were some gorgeous dancers that very much deserved a place so I’m glad some of them will have received that happy email today😊. Thank you for all your help, it definitely made my audition experience a lot smoother and I really appreciate it! I hope some of your DCs received good news today. 

BalletBear

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BalletBear said:

Hi! I just wanted to say that I didn’t get a place in the final audition but I’m so happy for a friend that has! She didn’t get through the preliminary last year so it just shows that you should always try again (which what I will do next year)! The audition standard was very high and I think that there were some gorgeous dancers that very much deserved a place so I’m glad some of them will have received that happy email today😊. Thank you for all your help, it definitely made my audition experience a lot smoother and I really appreciate it! I hope some of your DCs received good news today. 

BalletBear

Thanks for your upbeat words on here, BalletBear! Sorry you got a no, but definitely try again next year and you'll know what to expect more then too. My dd got a no again too, unfortunately, but enjoyed the audition for the experience at least. And there's always next year! All the best with your dancing. :)

You’re welcome! Yes I think that will make it easier and I can work on some things I struggled on. That’s a shame, I’m sure she was great! What group was she in (if you don’t mind me asking)? They do say third time lucky! Yes, there definitely is. Thank you very much and good luck to your dd in the future! 

23 minutes ago, BalletBear said:

You’re welcome! Yes I think that will make it easier and I can work on some things I struggled on. That’s a shame, I’m sure she was great! What group was she in (if you don’t mind me asking)? They do say third time lucky! Yes, there definitely is. Thank you very much and good luck to your dd in the future! 

Thank you! She was group 2. It's obviously always a bit disappointing to get a no, but there's always something to learn from each audition so nothing is wasted. :) All the best to you too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

DD got recall 🙂

Congratulations to your dd! What group was she in? Sorry I keep asking but I would like to see which girls or boys got a recall from my group so I can strive to be as good as them (if that makes sense!?) 

35 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Birmingham group 3

You have the right attitude to succeed Balletbear...your time will come! 🤞🏻

I was in that class too! Thank you and you are definitely right so for the time being I will just enjoy the ride!