New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Many thanks Richard.  The top link also gives the ‘Calendar’ display but then I find it only works by first clicking to get the full month display.  Clicking a specific date or a booking period takes me to ‘Tickets & events’ which I find really frustrating for navigating.

John I suggested a way to access the calendar earlier in this topic

http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/19491-new-roh-website/?do=findComment&comment=276236

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I don't suppose anyone has a list of RB dancers who are on Instagram? I gather more of them tend to post on there than on Twitter. Most of the ones that I've looked up on Twitter seem not to have posted on there for ages so it doesn't seem worth following them.

I believe (though stand to be corrected on this) that all dancers who are currently members of the Royal Ballet company have IG accounts, except for Sarah Lamb, Laura Morera, Christina Arestis, Alastair Marriott and Romany Pajdak. However, not all accounts are public ones and some are inactive. Also the main one for Natalia Osipova seems to be a fan run account:
https://www.instagram.com/nataliaosipova86/

The dancers' biography pages on the ROH website sometimes give social media links in 'Related links' at the end of each page. But these links are not consistently recorded across the various biography pages. In the case of Yasmine Naghdi (for example), the biography page gives links to both her Twitter and Instagram accounts:
http://www.roh.org.uk/people/yasmine-naghdi

Edited by Josephine
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Kristen McNally and Nadia Mullova-Barley are also not on Instagram.

Osipova's account is not fan-run, but it is a combination of herself and her PR.

Thank you! My uncertainty about the status of Natalia Osipova's Instagram account was due to the profile here
giving a link to this Twitter account
https://mobile.twitter.com/NatOsipova
which in turn gives a link to this Facebook page with the user name 'Natalia Osipova (fan)':
https://m.facebook.com/nataliaosipovafan

Anyway, I think I have strayed too far now from the main focus of this thread!

Edited by Josephine

6 hours ago, capybara said:

If you google the name of the dancer plus Instagram, their site comes up (if there is one).

5 hours ago, Josephine said:

I believe (though stand to be corrected on this) that all dancers who are currently members of the Royal Ballet company have IG accounts, except for Sarah Lamb, Laura Morera, Christina Arestis, Alastair Marriott and Romany Pajdak. However, not all accounts are public ones and some are inactive. Also the main one for Natalia Osipova seems to be a fan run account:

The dancers' biography pages on the ROH website sometimes give social media links in 'Related links' at the end of each page. But these links are not consistently recorded across the various biography pages. In the case of Yasmine Naghdi (for example), the biography page gives links to both her Twitter and Instagram accounts:
http://www.roh.org.uk/people/yasmine-naghdi

Thanks. I was hoping there might be a collected list somewhere so I didn't have to Google every dancer individually, but I guess not. At least I now know which ones it's not worth Googling.

• Like 1

Sorry to bump this again, just when it was dying down, but I've just tried the Calendar for the first time.  Clicking on 5th April seems to bring up pretty much everything which is on in a date range including 5th April, but I have no idea what's actually on in the main house that evening.  My guess would be Forza, but I have no real idea unless I click through onto those booking dates (indeed, it is). Is it so much to ask for the system to bring up direct booking links for a specific date?

1 minute ago, alison said:

Sorry to bump this again, just when it was dying down, but I've just tried the Calendar for the first time.  Clicking on 5th April seems to bring up pretty much everything which is on in a date range including 5th April, but I have no idea what's actually on in the main house that evening.  My guess would be Forza, but I have no real idea unless I click through onto those booking dates (indeed, it is). Is it so much to ask for the system to bring up direct booking links for a specific date?

Do you have a filter set for Summer?

5 hours ago, alison said:

Try applying your chosen date(s) on calendar, and then choose Filters > Venue > Main Stage. This eliminates other venues for the chosen date(s). But still the old style calendar seemed far more efficient...

Edited by Josephine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Thanks, Josephine.  I may try that.  But it's still more clicking and scrolling than the old system, isn't it?  As an RSI sufferer, I'm very aware of these things.

Agree - it's infuriating! Going from site entry to specific performance page using e.g venue filters as above needs ten clicks I think. It was just three clicks using the old website calendar...

I've just booked for "The Bright Stream"  with the Victor Hochhauser list priority.  It was quite an annoying process. After selecting my tickets, I wanted to have a look at availability for other productions, but the 'continue shopping' link took me to the main page.  After the laborious process of finding the date on the event calendar, a message appeared saying general booking opens in April. I had to go back to the VH email and click on the link to get to the right page. This needless faffing about put me off considerably. I left my comments on the feedback pop-up but I doubt whether anyone cares.

I also booked using the Victor Hochhauser priority list - the trick was not to get caught up in the ROH web site but keep reverting to the VH page. A real joy to make a RB booking on-line so easily after all the frustration and hassle with the new web page. Just like the good old days! 

• Like 1

I know I'm being cynical, but I wonder if the web site has been designed for those who wish to book for the 'experience'? The 'show', plus the meal, interval drinks, even the programme, all in one nice tidy little package. None of this mucking about with wanting to book different casts, and trying to find a seat where you can see at least a decent proportion of the stage without bankrupting yourself in the process.

• Like 6

I suspect that you’re probably right and there probably isn’t a user story in there for the balletomanes unless there happens to be one in a senior position on the development team. Even any ROH reps aren’t going to represent those users, because they won’t have experience there. 

Okay, so can someone tell me, is there a way of being able to print off the summer season, ballet and opera, main house, Linbury and Clore, in chronological order - and not losing any vital information like titles? :)  Adding casting would of course be ideal.  I can't see that there's a way of doing it.

I realise the number of people without access to computers etc must be fairly small, but how can they access information nowadays? I used to.love the very informative brochures that we got and happily pored over them selecting casts. I have a ballet going friend who does not enjoy using a computer and I end up printing out information for her - not always the easiest task. she frequently asks why information can't be sent. To be fair, it's not just the ROH; many organisations act as though it was now a legal requirement for everyone to have a computer!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, alison said:

Okay, so can someone tell me, is there a way of being able to print off the summer season, ballet and opera, main house, Linbury and Clore, in chronological order - and not losing any vital information like titles? :)  Adding casting would of course be ideal.  I can't see that there's a way of doing it.

You could try this link from Richard I think some time ago.  If you click on calendar and select a month, you should be able to see what’s on and move from month to month.  I don’t know how printable it is. 

https://www.roh.org.uk/events?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZjemJGV4QIVwiaGCh2S0AMaEAAYASABEgJhrPD_BwE

If you’re a Friend, there is the Magazine which is on line and the last few pages give a reasonably comprehensive calendar which is printable.

8 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I realise the number of people without access to computers etc must be fairly small, but how can they access information nowadays? I used to.love the very informative brochures that we got and happily pored over them selecting casts. I have a ballet going friend who does not enjoy using a computer and I end up printing out information for her - not always the easiest task. she frequently asks why information can't be sent. To be fair, it's not just the ROH; many organisations act as though it was now a legal requirement for everyone to have a computer!

I imagine that many organisations probably feel it’s not an efficient use of funds to produce publicity materials for a limited number of users.  Would you or your friend be willing to pay for an information brochure?

This has become very fiddly.  Not good.  Not clear.  Much better before.  That said I got everything I wanted .... Not the Fonetyn Gala .. but that's OK ... I'll go to SFB instead.  A happy alternative and MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE. 

Don't know if anyone noticed - but for the RBS performance on 14th July ... you had to click 'more information' to go in and scroll down to find 'book'.   Was the same this time round for the Bolshoi ..... I think that some people will be confused and entirely put off.  It was the same for the Jette Parker Opera Showcase and War and Peace.  Perhaps confusion was their aim.  

In all: NOT GOOD.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

On 28/03/2019 at 22:24, ninamargaret said:

I know I'm being cynical, but I wonder if the web site has been designed for those who wish to book for the 'experience'? The 'show', plus the meal, interval drinks, even the programme, all in one nice tidy little package. None of this mucking about with wanting to book different casts, and trying to find a seat where you can see at least a decent proportion of the stage without bankrupting yourself in the process.

Not sure about that, Ninamargaret.  Booking a meal is now a nightmare.  I am eating on April 9 and whereas you used to be able to see the menus for each production, these now only become available nearer the time which means a problem unless you are dining with somebody you live with!  God knows why the caterers haven't demanded a better system; lady I spoke to sounded thoroughly disenchanted.

It made me laugh, Bruce.  You see the advertising for the Bolshoi and think, 'yeah, I'll have some of that.'

Then you go to ROH website and you must first trawl through Tea Dances, Dancing for Tiny Tots and Pride celebrations before finding any mention of the Bolshoi!

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Has the 20% of tickets kept for General Booking protocol now been abandoned?

Have a feeling it went out the door as the continuing ACE cuts came in.  You see similar changes at the NT.  Everyone's bit. 

Edited by Bruce Wall