New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

Good point Coated. Is the scheme now open to all the young?

Of course students get a lot of discounts on the grounds they are not earning, but  many young people in work are not earning very much, and also have more outgoings-or they might be unemployed and broke; so if the idea is to encourage a young new audience it might be better to broaden the target.

• Like 2

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Coated said:

It's only open to students up to the age of 28 I think. A friend was trying to join when doing a masters in thei 30s and couldn't join due to their ancientness.

I think that I mentioned elsewhere that, having had a 'sneak peak' into an all student performance last year, there seemed to be a noticeable number of 'grey hairs' in the audience.

Years ago ROH Friends included Junior Associates - any one under 26.  You used to get vouchers giving you money off tickets.  I think the vouchers meant that Upper Slips places were either free or 50p.  It certainly provided a fantastic introduction to the ROH, opening the door to a lifetime of performances (and where I’ve been fortunate to move from the Upper Slips to more favoured seats but still recall with great affection many of those early visits).

• Like 2

I thought the ROH operated both a young persons' scheme and a student scheme?  Has that changed?  If they are excluding students based on age (and I'm aware that used not to be the case a couple of years ago, but I can't tell from simply looking at the T&Cs, and haven't tried doing a dummy run) then that would be ageism pure and simple.  Sorry that I seem to be derailing the thread - if this goes on much further I may split off a completely new thread for it.

Young ROH (what used to be ROH Students) is a free scheme where current students can register to receive certain benefits. I don't think there is an age limit despite the name change. To register you need only give details of your course. You may be asked to show a valid student ID at the door, but I have never been asked. I can only imaging that the name is to emphasise that the scheme is intended to be youth focused and to discourage older students from participating. 

Benefits include priority booking (one day ahead of pubic booking), access to 10 slips and standing tickets for each performance reserved for students to buy at face value, one whole house student performance each season and a few amphitheatre performances (both with reduced prices; the rules say you need to show one valid student ID for every two tickets, so you can take one non-student with you), reduced prices for insight events and some student only insights, the occasional offer of standby tickets (last minute tickets for £10), and two for £10 cinema tickets. 

There is a separate Young Friends scheme which is the same as Friends membership but at a lower price. So, priority booking, rehearsal tickets, magazine etc. You have to be 16-30. 

Is there anywhere on the website where you can view what's on for the whole month on one page, like in the old booking brochures? I do miss having that general overview to hand.

9 hours ago, Bluebird said:

The old pages are currently still there, although I suppose they may eventually delete them.

Here's the page for April:

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/calendar/2019/04

You can get to earlier or later months by clicking in the top left hand corner (immediately under 'April 2019')

Can these pages be accessed from the current website or is it just a case of separately saving the old links?

15 hours ago, Bluebird said:

The old pages are currently still there, although I suppose they may eventually delete them.

You can get to earlier or later months by clicking in the top left hand corner (immediately under 'April 2019')

Is there a way please to access the event list for an individual date from the bookmarked old website calendar page?

I can do this using the separate link and instructions which I believe RichardLH provided in an earlier post.

However when I click on any date from the bookmarked old website calendar page (link as in Bluebird's post above) it takes me to the tickets and events listing on the new website. Could the page view result depend on which browser is used??

6 minutes ago, Josephine said:

Is there a way please to access the event list for an individual date from the bookmarked old website calendar page?

I can do this using the separate link and instructions which I believe RichardLH provided in an earlier post.

However when I click on any date from the bookmarked old website calendar page (link as in Bluebird's post above) it takes me to the tickets and events listing on the new website. Could the page view result depend on which browser is used??

The only way I have found to get to the old  display of everything happening on a particular day is to manually change the link details eg  11 March 2019 = https://www.roh.org.uk/events/calendar/2019/03/11?_ga=2.210123029.1694789846.1552744106-235432184.1552744106

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Josephine said:

It must depend on the browser as I am able to access the individual dates from the old calendar page.  I'm using Chrome on my PC and Safari on my iPad.  Both lead me straight to the individual date event list.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Oh bliss!  Thank you very much, Bluebird, that will do very nicely :)

Now all I want is the pages where you can get everything which is on for a specific date and can spot if there have been any returns.  Always supposing that still exists, of course :( 

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

The only way I have found to get to the old  display of everything happening on a particular day is to manually change the link details eg  11 March 2019 = https://www.roh.org.uk/events/calendar/2019/03/11?_ga=2.210123029.1694789846.1552744106-235432184.1552744106

Thanks very much for this link. It has helped me greatly!

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

It must depend on the browser as I am able to access the individual dates from the old calendar page.  I'm using Chrome on my PC and Safari on my iPad.  Both lead me straight to the individual date event list.

Thank you very much for confirming this! I have been baffled by the links not working for me, and will follow your suggestions later today.

6 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Strange...I also use Chrome on the PC, and have tried Firefox and Edge, but none of these get me a full list of what is on any particular day from the old month pages - for that I have to fiddle with the https address as indicated above.

At least the old month page does (for me) successfully  link to details of any individual performance on  any particular day. 

28 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Strange...I also use Chrome on the PC, and have tried Firefox and Edge, but none of these get me a full list of what is on any particular day from the old month pages - for that I have to fiddle with the https address as indicated above.

At least the old month page does (for me) successfully  link to details of any individual performance on  any particular day. 

Apologies.  I worded my original post badly.  I meant that I was able to access the details of each individual event from the old calendar page.  As you say, the full list for each day cannot, unfortunately,  be accessed from that page.

• Like 1

What a joy to see the BBC Proms website with its easy to use listing by composer or musician/performer (although I’d have preferred to find the Vienna Philharmonic under V rather than W as it’s referred to throughout by its English name), and a very simple calendar.  The ROH needs to take a look and provide a better way for people to navigate its website - or simply revert to its earlier format for ‘what’s on’ and calendar.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been on the ROH website & it's showing me 2 and a bit events per screen rather than only one. While it's still not as good as the old website, it's a definite improvement on 1 event per screen. Hopefully it sticks around & doesn't revert.

hmm - gone from information rich, but a bit dull, to information poor but visually attractive, to now barely either of those things. Oh well, at least they are listening and trying to improve, which is better than doing nothing - or would it be better that if it wasn't broken, don't fix it! 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just been on the ROH website & it's showing me 2 and a bit events per screen rather than only one. While it's still not as good as the old website, it's a definite improvement on 1 event per screen. Hopefully it sticks around & doesn't revert.

Also - from a positive perspective - (to be read 'thank heavens') - the filters now 'stick' once selected ... That will make booking periods easier ... Although I agree with Dave:  Why they had to change from the more effective set up before I really don't know.   If indeed they are cash strapped surely change for mere change's sake can hardly have been prudent. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Not only was the website not broken - it was considered excellent by many people, judging from comments here and conversations with audience members.  Perhaps not scientific as a measure of satisfaction so I’d be interested to know if the ROH received negative feedback on its old website which might have justified a change.  I quite like the Open Up designs but surely those could have been incorporated without changing the functionality of the old website?

• Like 3

I suppose its one of those corporate (re)branding things they must have felt worth embarking on, after the 'open up'  - so that everything from the website, to the very poor folding season pamphlets they sometimes scatter around the cafe area, even to the folders they send tickets out in, all have that same look/feel. Change for change's sake is often irritating for those already committed, and as I know next to nothing about marketing, I can't say how effective it all is in getting those much more valued newbies in.

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I see there is a List View option vs Full View. I am not sure this  is a new feature or whether  I missed it before. Full View gives just over 1 event  per PC screen if my screen is set on 100%, whereas On List View, I get 3 events per  PC screen - as opposed to 8 events per PC screen on the old pages (or 6 events on my tablet). With the new site, if I reduce PC screen size to 67% I get 5 events per  screen still with  a readable view, which is  not too bad.