Pas de Quatre

Tring Park School - Director of Dance to retire

Harwel I’m neither questioning nor quoting you. We are all on this forum for each other, to offer advice and support. 

1 hour ago, primrose said:

The report is incredibly damaging to the reputation of Tring but I am sure these failings are being addressed and appears to be acted upon. Tring Park School will recover from this and hopefully learn from these serious failings to childrens welfare and it will become the outstanding school it advertises itself to be https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/774930/TringPark_Notice_6Dec18.pdf

Quite a scary read 

9 hours ago, Tulip said:

We are all on this forum for each other, to offer advice and support. 

Agreed. I try to give support and help where I can in as unbiased a way as possible. I am concerned that some comments on this thread seem to be a bit of a Witch hunt - fully understand feelings running high when people have been hurt.

However. I am also aware of forum members who may have children at Tring at present who are relatively new to the school and are feeling terrified as to what sort of environment they have placed their children into. The report is a concern, it is being addressed and I dont think it needs overstating. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Harwel said:

Agreed. I try to give support and help where I can in as unbiased a way as possible. I am concerned that some comments on this thread seem to be a bit of a Witch hunt - fully understand feelings running high when people have been hurt.

However. I am also aware of forum members who may have children at Tring at present who are relatively new to the school and are feeling terrified as to what sort of environment they have placed their children into. The report is a concern, it is being addressed and I dont think it needs overstating. 

Having had a child in a (non vocational school) where there were serious issues culminating in the Head resigning suddenly in the middle of the school holidays, I'd want to know.  (I had remved my child by that point). I assume that those with children at the school would have received some communication. I have also as a parent had to make a complaint about a staff bullying/safeguarding issue at a vocational school (an academic member of staff though not vocational) which was handled very well.

We were made aware of the report when it came out and that measures were being taken to address it immediately.  I don’t and never have felt the school is unsafe and yet from some of the comments I’m reading it is being made out to be a totally innapropriate place to be.  In many respects it is a really lovely school.  I hear many things about most of the schools with students and parents having wildly different experiences from the same schools.  A report is not the whole story. 

I have never had problems raising concerns and having them addressed.  That is my personal experience and I really am not making light of other people’s obviously serious issues. I can only speak to my own experience - has it all been rosy in the garden? No absolutely not, but our experiences are what I would call normal everyday vocational/boarding school issues.  

• Like 1

I don’t think the way this discussion is going is particularly helpful, to be honest.  I’ve said before that if someone has not experienced a problem themselves, this does not mean that the problem is non existent.  Clearly the ISI inspectors feel that actually, the school has not been as safe a place as it should have been for some students so again, let us not minimise other people’s experiences. 

Tring is a lovely school in many respects and has an excellent track record for graduate employment, especially in the Musical Theatre industry.  There are and have been some wonderful dance teachers and the academics have always been extremely good.  However, I don’t think anyone could reasonably deny that there have been problems in the Dance Department.  The school, and I assume the ISI, have clearly investigated these problems and are taking steps to rectify them to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the students.  That is good and should be reassuring to parents of current and prospective students. 

The issues mentioned in the ISI report are serious.  Not every school receives such a report.  Had these issues happened at my daughter’s old academic school I would be concerned, even if my child had not suffered personally.   Such a key member of the Senior leadership team going on sabbatical mid year, followed by retirement, soon after a report of this nature may lead people to come to their own conclusions so to be discussing this is not, in my opinion, a “witch hunt” at present.  

I would however remind everyone to please bear our forum rules in mind.  

• Like 9

Not a witch hunt at all, but we are discussing an ISI report that is public knowledge. I think everyone on this forum have agreed that now issues are being addressed the school will go forward. I’m just sad and rightfully so, that it took an unannounced visit from the ISI to identify serious issues, Instead of management dealing with them in the beginning. 

18 hours ago, Anna C said:

I don’t think the way this discussion is going is particularly helpful, to be honest.  I’ve said before that if someone has not experienced a problem themselves, this does not mean that the problem is non existent.  Clearly the ISI inspectors feel that actually, the school has not been as safe a place as it should have been for some students so again, let us not minimise other people’s experiences. 

Tring is a lovely school in many respects and has an excellent track record for graduate employment, especially in the Musical Theatre industry.  There are and have been some wonderful dance teachers and the academics have always been extremely good.  However, I don’t think anyone could reasonably deny that there have been problems in the Dance Department.  The school, and I assume the ISI, have clearly investigated these problems and are taking steps to rectify them to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the students.  That is good and should be reassuring to parents of current and prospective students. 

The issues mentioned in the ISI report are serious.  Not every school receives such a report.  Had these issues happened at my daughter’s old academic school I would be concerned, even if my child had not suffered personally.   Such a key member of the Senior leadership team going on sabbatical mid year, followed by retirement, soon after a report of this nature may lead people to come to their own conclusions so to be discussing this is not, in my opinion, a “witch hunt” at present.  

I would however remind everyone to please bear our forum rules in mind.  

As Always Anna, a very well thought out and put together reply and I do agree with you. I was in my own way, trying to bring a bit of balance.  

Anyway, apparently no new director of dance will be sought at this time - I believe until the sabbatical period has ended.  The director role will be covered by the current senior dance team. 

• Like 1