Taking ballet into a Nursing Home

glissade

I know one school I am involved a little with in Dorset have taken groups of children & adults to dance at a local Nursing Home. I think it took place on a Sunday afternoon & they were naturally accompanied by DBS checked teachers. Think they did Grade exam dances...

English Youth Ballet used to take ballet into hospitals.  London Children’s ballet often took an abridged performance into Nursing Homes; dd used to love doing their summer schools as they’d perform for elderly and ill people the day before the showcase for parents at the end of the week.  It’s such a lovely idea.

My mother, who was a ballet teacher, used to take her pupils into the local nursing home to perform twice a year. Now  84,  she is in a nursing home diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and I was delighted to hear some little dancers had been in to perform to the residents in her home, recently. The staff told me it had made her day!

• Like 2

I remember doing this as a child, we had an especially big nursing home near to us, it was actually called a hospital at the time and some of the residents were on open wards. This did at least mean there was plenty of space for us to perform, I can't imagine trying to dance in the nursing home my grandad was in. It's wonderful if people can go into places like this and do any form of entertainment and I know lots of people do help out in this way. It does seem that homes for younger people with learning difficulties find it harder to get volunteers, a while back a group I was part of used to go and sing Christmas carols, we didn't rehearse or do anything fancy, we mostly tried to do familiar stuff and encourage the residents to join in. 

• Like 1

I work as an activity coordinator in a nursing home with people with dementia . I’ve been bringing my daughter in to dance for my residents since she was 4. She’s now in year 9 at white lodge and came this Christmas Eve to dance  a couple of pieces  from the Nutcracker with a boy from her year at school .They had been performing at the Royal opera house only the day before ,Our residents loved it . One in particular who is a huge fan of the ballet . I regularly have local dance schools in to sing / dance and play instruments. It’s wonderful for the residents and a great opportunity to perform for the children who come in. If anyone has children who would like to perform please send me a message . I’m based in the north west.

• Like 3

The Royal Ballet used to do something similar, although I think it was last century :)  I remember seeing film of a couple of dancers - can't remember who now, but I think they were quite high-ranking - doing a version of the Don Q pdd, I think, in either a nursing home or a hospital.   Wonder if it was on The House?