Sign in to follow this  
penelopesimpson

What Trick did I Miss with La Forza?

Two issues are being conflated here and Iam astonished that ROH has not provided any sort of response to the straightforward questions asked. Do management think their patrons haven’t noticed their obfuscating?

Trying to blame Viagogo for the ticket shambles is ridiculous.  I am not advocating the use of third party platforms, but it is hypocritical of ROH to try to deflect the blame, especially when ROH makes no secret of the fact that it uses ticket agencies.  If patrons had  been limited to two tickets per person, the problem simply wouldn’t exist.  What I and others want to know is why there were no decent seats available for the General Public on Jan 30.  This is a simple enough question, even if the answer is self-evidently that those who pay for Priority Access were allowed to hoover up all the tickets, many of which subsequently appeared on Viagogo.  To blame a ticket agency for such catastrophic mismanagement, insults our intelligence.

• Like 1

I think it would be wise to make a,distinction between genuine ticket agencies who charge a fee for selling tickets that are obtained legitimately from the theatre and a company like Viagogo who presumably buy their tickets,probably not directly from the theatre but from other sources and who charge many times the face value of the ticket. While I don't see the need for agencies these days the ROH lists its official agencies and Viagogo is definitely not one of them. So why don't they take some action? Can't help feeling the ROH is dragging its heels on this, to say the least.

Viagogo don't buy the tickets, it's individuals who buy them and then put them up for resale on Viagogo at hugely inflated prices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

Viagogo don't buy the tickets, it's individuals who buy them and then put them up for resale on Viagogo at hugely inflated prices.

I thought that was the case but was trying to be tactful! All the more reason for ROH to investigate urgently, something that does not seem to be happening. 

I think it suits ROH to imply that Viagogo is the villain here when even a cursory look at what happened shows that, overwhelmingly, it is Friends who have bought tickets to sell.  Prior to General Booking opening, the only way you could get tickets was through priority access schemes, yet there have been Forza tickets for sale on Viagogo since December.  

This is simply market forces at work and I don’t see why Viagogo should take the blame for the fact that ROH decided to let its subscription patrons have a free for all on seats.  Why is anybody’s guess.  I would rather reserve my ire for those agencies who employ algorithms to block purchase masses of seats for pop concerts, inflating prices and thus denying access to fans.  Viagogo has a different business model, never risking its own money but merely acting as a platform for others.  With the exception of La Forza, when booking opens everybody has a chance to purchase tickets.  Viagogo and other agencies exist to provide tickets for those who come late to the party.

Self-evidently, if tickets had been restricted to two per person, the problem of re-selling would have been substantially reduced.  It is ROH that is at fault here and it’s time they admitted it.  To answer your question, Ninamargaret, they aren’t going to investigate because they know the answer.  They caused the problem.

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 1

I suspect there were few tickets available when 'ordinary' Friends booking opened and that more had been snapped up by Patrons and high level Friends. I would have thought that reselling tickets for profit contravenes the terms of membership and the resale of tickets is, according to the printed ticket, not permitted. These policies should be implemented.

I agree but they aren’t going to be revoking the tickets of their platinum level patrons any time soon.  They caused the problem by not restricting purchases and I just wish we knew why.  It must have been a considered decision.

It's especially curious given the comments about trying to discourage regulars from buying so many seats - or perhaps that doesn't apply to regulars who are prepared to pay a few hundreds extra!

PS While there have been some Forza seats made available subsequently, has anyone seen even a single seat become available for the similarly already sold out on 30th January Berenice? I've been checking every day myself but haven't seen any at all.

Edited by Dawnstar

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

It's especially curious given the comments about trying to discourage regulars from buying so many seats - or perhaps that doesn't apply to regulars who are prepared to pay a few hundreds extra!

PS While there have been some Forza seats made available subsequently, has anyone seen even a single seat become available for the similarly already sold out on 30th January Berenice? I've been checking every day myself but haven't seen any at all.

No.  And I've also been checking regularly

Edited by penelopesimpson

5 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

No.  And I've also been checking regularly

Given how many returns, or whatever they are, for main stage productions keep popping up you'd think there would be the odd one for the Linbury, even with it having far fewer seats. Oh well, I'm keeping a slot open in the probably vain hope that tickets might pop up nearer the time...