Former Royal Ballet Principal Miyako Yoshida to retire

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

? that Nutcracker the RB's? If you then went & saw her at the RB. I vaguely remember seeing her as the Sugar Plum Fairy on TV years ago but thought it was the 1994 BRB one she was in. Am I mentally conflating 2 Nutcracker telecasts?

She's surely been in one for both - the BRB with Mukhamedov and the RB with Cope (and possibly later broadcasts, depending on which broadcaster you watch)?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thanks. That's the one I was thinking of. A pity it doesn't look like it's currently available as I'd quite like to see it again.

4 minutes ago, alison said:

She's surely been in one for both - the BRB with Mukhamedov and the RB with Cope (and possibly later broadcasts, depending on which broadcaster you watch)?

I don't recall having seen the RB Nutcracker until the 2016 cinecast so I don't think I've seen Yoshida/Cope. I don't have Sky Arts for watching repeats, if that's what you're alluding to.

17 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks. That's the one I was thinking of. A pity it doesn't look like it's currently available as I'd quite like to see it again.

I don't recall having seen the RB Nutcracker until the 2016 cinecast so I don't think I've seen Yoshida/Cope. I don't have Sky Arts for watching repeats, if that's what you're alluding to.

You can get a  region1 DVD of the BRB recording but for some unknown reason it has been unavailable as a region2 DVD for several years. I would have thought it would have sold well given the same production is still performed annually. I was at the filmed performance with Yoshida and Mukhamedov at the Hippodrome ,which at the time was a rare occurrence. I keep looking for a version that I  can play on my DVD as it’s not a multi region machine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

You can get a  region1 DVD of the BRB recording but for some unknown reason it has been unavailable as a region2 DVD for several years. I would have thought it would have sold well given the same production is still performed annually. I was at the filmed performance with Yoshida and Mukhamedov at the Hippodrome ,which at the time was a rare occurrence. I keep looking for a version that I  can play on my DVD as it’s not a multi region machine. 

I'd need region 2 as I'm in the UK. (I know people manage to do things to DVD players to get them to play other DVDs from regions but I'm not at all technologically-minded & wouldn't have a clue what to do.) Actually what I really should do is get round to seeing the production live again, before it gets replaced.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd need region 2 as I'm in the UK. (I know people manage to do things to DVD players to get them to play other DVDs from regions but I'm not at all technologically-minded & wouldn't have a clue what to do.) Actually what I really should do is get round to seeing the production live again, before it gets replaced.

You might be interested in the  production that Sky showed at Christmas which I think is still available to download. It is the same Sir Peter Wright production which he did for BRB but performed by Australian Ballet .(Sorry to go off the topic of the thread)

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Odyssey said:

You might be interested in the  production that Sky showed at Christmas which I think is still available to download. It is the same Sir Peter Wright production which he did for BRB but performed by Australian Ballet .(Sorry to go off the topic of the thread)

I don't have Sky so I wouldn't be able to view that.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I don't have Sky so I wouldn't be able to view that.

A cheap way of getting access to Sky Arts is to purchase a "Now" stick or box.  If you buy the entertainment package (£7.99 per month but no contract involved and you can cancel at any time.  Quite a few of the purchase offers include a couple of months of packages) one of the channels available is Sky Arts.

• Like 2

I had no idea she was still dancing. I think her Sugar Plum Fairy was the most beautiful I've ever seen. She seems to have been consistently underrated, though, possibly because she was such a non-flashy dancer.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Details of Yoshida’s Farewell gala in August has been announced, I went to the press conference 

https://www.nhk-p.co.jp/ballet/news.html#190513

Dancers from Royal Ballet, Bonelli, Takada, Hirano, Naghdi, Hay, Hinkis, Zuchetti as well as principals of major Japanese companies will join Yoshida to celebrate her 35 year career. 

Yoshida will be dancing the Fonteyn part from Birthday Offerings, Ashton Cinderella 3rd act solo and pas de deux from Peter Wtight’s Swan Lake act 4.  Naghdi and Hirano Nutcracker, Takada and Hay in Anastasia , Hinkis, Zuchetti, Takada, Naghdi and Hay in Forsythe’s The

Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, as well as Bintley’s Flowers of the Forest and Sylvia by Japanese dancers. 

This will be filmed and broadcasted on TV here. 

• Like 7

On 09/02/2019 at 12:46, Naomi M said:

A clip from BRB Nutcracker, Yoshida and Mukhamedov. So lovely

Thank you so much for posting this, it brought back so many special memories. She is the most sublime Sugar Plum Fairy.

• Like 3