Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Naomi M

Former Royal Ballet Principal Miyako Yoshida to retire

Recommended Posts

On 31/01/2019 at 16:01, Fonty said:

 

Sadly, no!  Sounds intriguing.  

Have got this on DVD, but don't know if it's still available. It also has a certain Kevin O'Hare resplendent in Salvation Army uniform!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/01/2019 at 09:00, Fonty said:

Am I the only person who read this and thought, "Good heavens, is she still dancing?" 🙂

 

 

I thought that too. I'd assumed she'd retired some time ago.

 

On 31/01/2019 at 17:42, zxDaveM said:

seeing her on telly (in Nutcracker, with Jonathan Cope) got me hooked on ballet, as it inspired me to go to ROH for the first time to see her (in Giselle). The rest, as they say, is history! 🙂

 

 

Was that Nutcracker the RB's? If you then went & saw her at the RB. I vaguely remember seeing her as the Sugar Plum Fairy on TV years ago but thought it was the 1994 BRB one she was in. Am I mentally conflating 2 Nutcracker telecasts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

? that Nutcracker the RB's? If you then went & saw her at the RB. I vaguely remember seeing her as the Sugar Plum Fairy on TV years ago but thought it was the 1994 BRB one she was in. Am I mentally conflating 2 Nutcracker telecasts?

 

She's surely been in one for both - the BRB with Mukhamedov and the RB with Cope (and possibly later broadcasts, depending on which broadcaster you watch)?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

 

Thanks. That's the one I was thinking of. A pity it doesn't look like it's currently available as I'd quite like to see it again.

 

4 minutes ago, alison said:

 

She's surely been in one for both - the BRB with Mukhamedov and the RB with Cope (and possibly later broadcasts, depending on which broadcaster you watch)?

 

I don't recall having seen the RB Nutcracker until the 2016 cinecast so I don't think I've seen Yoshida/Cope. I don't have Sky Arts for watching repeats, if that's what you're alluding to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, cinecast, she danced it with McRae as well, I think - and possibly another one?  Did she appear 2 years running, or did he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

 

Thanks. That's the one I was thinking of. A pity it doesn't look like it's currently available as I'd quite like to see it again.

 

 

I don't recall having seen the RB Nutcracker until the 2016 cinecast so I don't think I've seen Yoshida/Cope. I don't have Sky Arts for watching repeats, if that's what you're alluding to.

You can get a  region1 DVD of the BRB recording but for some unknown reason it has been unavailable as a region2 DVD for several years. I would have thought it would have sold well given the same production is still performed annually. I was at the filmed performance with Yoshida and Mukhamedov at the Hippodrome ,which at the time was a rare occurrence. I keep looking for a version that I  can play on my DVD as it’s not a multi region machine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

You can get a  region1 DVD of the BRB recording but for some unknown reason it has been unavailable as a region2 DVD for several years. I would have thought it would have sold well given the same production is still performed annually. I was at the filmed performance with Yoshida and Mukhamedov at the Hippodrome ,which at the time was a rare occurrence. I keep looking for a version that I  can play on my DVD as it’s not a multi region machine. 

 

I'd need region 2 as I'm in the UK. (I know people manage to do things to DVD players to get them to play other DVDs from regions but I'm not at all technologically-minded & wouldn't have a clue what to do.) Actually what I really should do is get round to seeing the production live again, before it gets replaced.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

 

I'd need region 2 as I'm in the UK. (I know people manage to do things to DVD players to get them to play other DVDs from regions but I'm not at all technologically-minded & wouldn't have a clue what to do.) Actually what I really should do is get round to seeing the production live again, before it gets replaced.

You might be interested in the  production that Sky showed at Christmas which I think is still available to download. It is the same Sir Peter Wright production which he did for BRB but performed by Australian Ballet .(Sorry to go off the topic of the thread)

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Odyssey said:

You might be interested in the  production that Sky showed at Christmas which I think is still available to download. It is the same Sir Peter Wright production which he did for BRB but performed by Australian Ballet .(Sorry to go off the topic of the thread)

 

I don't have Sky so I wouldn't be able to view that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

 

I don't have Sky so I wouldn't be able to view that.

 

A cheap way of getting access to Sky Arts is to purchase a "Now" stick or box.  If you buy the entertainment package (£7.99 per month but no contract involved and you can cancel at any time.  Quite a few of the purchase offers include a couple of months of packages) one of the channels available is Sky Arts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no idea she was still dancing. I think her Sugar Plum Fairy was the most beautiful I've ever seen. She seems to have been consistently underrated, though, possibly because she was such a non-flashy dancer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A clip from BRB Nutcracker, Yoshida and Mukhamedov. So lovely

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...