Former Royal Ballet Principal Miyako Yoshida to retire

Former Royal Ballet Principal Miyako Yoshida will retire this August.

After leaving Royal Ballet, Yoshida has been performing as a freelance ballerina and she performed last weekend in a gala performance, dancing Esmeralda, still with polished technique and musicality.  Last summer it was announced that she will take over the role of artistic director of National Ballet of Japan in September 2020.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190130_27/

• Like 3

I first saw her at her graduation performance as a fairy in the prologue to Beauty at the RBS matinee where she was sensational with a stunning technique to match anyone in the company at the time. Since then I always tried to book for her performances wherever possible. She had an immaculate classical technique which she used with great intelligence and sensitivity to serve the role she was playing. I missed her a great deal when she left the Royal Ballet, but am happy to learn that she will be able to continue in her work within classical ballet in future.

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I wish Yoshida well with her new ventures.  It's just a shame her 10 or so years with SWRB/BRB seem to have been airbrushed out of this news!

I agree with that, Janet, it is a shame. 

However, BRB seems to have a special place in her heart. After leaving RB, Yoshida has guested in BRB's Japan tour (Peter Wright's Coppelia) and also have danced with many BRB dancers in performances in Japan, such as Robert Parker, Iain MacKay, Cesar Morales and last year, Mathias Dingman (dancing David Bintley's Flowers of the Forest, and was broadcasted here) 

Her farewell performance will be hosted by the public broadcaster NHK so it is likely that it would be broadcasted here. More details to come. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I wish Yoshida well with her new ventures.  It's just a shame her 10 or so years with SWRB/BRB seem to have been airbrushed out of this news!

This is a current trend I am afraid.  It started with Darcey, although she herself always spoke and wrote very fondly of her year with SWRB.  It has gone on with both Alex Campbell and even Kevin O'Hare speaks as though he was always with 'the company' - always taken as being the RB.  

It just seems that the media are only interested in the company they know about rather than making a fully explored state of the facts.

Either way,  I have terrific memories of seeing her dance and I remember her as a person with great affection.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

It's just a shame her 10 or so years with SWRB/BRB seem to have been airbrushed out of this news!

Yes, precisely! I felt that the move to Birmingham was embellished by the presence of this wonderful ballerina and, if I had to name the dancers who, for me, have embodied SWRB/BRB over the last, say, 30 years, Yoshida would be right up there.

• Like 6

I remember seeing her first Swan Lake at a matinee one Thursday in Sunderland, when she had to replace Clare French who was substituting for another dancer that evening. Wonderful Odette-Odile. And a performance I later saw her do of Theme and Variations in Birmingham was the best I've ever seen of that fabulous ballet.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Former Royal Ballet Principal Miyako Yoshida will retire this August.

After leaving Royal Ballet, Yoshida has been performing as a freelance ballerina and she performed last weekend in a gala performance, dancing Esmeralda, still with polished technique and musicality.  Last summer it was announced that she will take over the role of artistic director of National Ballet of Japan in September 2020.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190130_27/

Naomi, do you know what Miyako Yoshida will dance at her farewell performance this August? or will it be a gala formula?

I have such fond memories of her when she danced with the RB. 

• Like 2

Agree totally with previous comments regarding her time at SWRB/BRB. She was a tremendous asset and I was so sad when she transferred to London. So many wonderful memories of her, particularly her Aurora and Sugar Plum Fairy. Sir Peter Wright pays her a wonderful tribute in his autobiography which she richly deserves.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Naomi, do you know what Miyako Yoshida will dance at her farewell performance this August? or will it be a gala formula?

I have such fond memories of her when she danced with the RB. 

It will be a gala (2 performances) but no details announced at this point. It will be  held at the New National Theatre Opera House and supposed to have international guests. I will inform when it will be announced. There is a lovely message on her Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/miyakoballet/

Last summer I saw her in Raymonda 3rd act and she was still in perfect shape, she still dances the classics at the age of 53 and I heard she takes daily classes at the National Ballet of Japan every day.

it is so lovely to hear all the fond memories of Miyako back in her SWB days from the balletco’ers! 

• Like 5

Am I the only person who read this and thought, "Good heavens, is she still dancing?" 🙂

One of my absolute favourites.  I always made a point of booking for her performances.  I saw her in everything I could, and she never disappointed.  She had a wonderful technique, but she was never a flashy dancer.  I still think her fouettes as Odile in Swan Lake are the best I have ever seen.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

Am I the only person who read this and thought, "Good heavens, is she still dancing?" 🙂

One of my absolute favourites.  I always made a point of booking for her performances.  I saw her in everything I could, and she never disappointed.  She had a wonderful technique, but she was never a flashy dancer.  I still think her fouettes as Odile in Swan Lake are the best I have ever seen.  

Did you ever see her fouettes in Hobson Choice. In a Salvation Army trench coat!!!

• Like 4

I remember a performance of SPW's (BRB) Swan Lake where she burreed off at the end of Act 2 with her back to the audience.  Her rippling swan arms and back were so spectacular that the whole audience gasped in amazement.  I never saw her do that again in all the times I saw her perform O/O with BRB.

Edited by Jan McNulty
Edited to correct term. Thanks Sim!
  • Like 3

My late father, who had no interest in or knowledge of ballet, saw her on television once, perhaps twenty years ago I think as part of a variety performance or some such. He phoned me up specifically to tell me about her, and frequently mentioned her thereafter: she was the only ballet dancer who ever made any impression on him. I don't know why that was, but perhaps it was that she epitomised what a ballerina should be.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Did you ever see her fouettes in Hobson Choice. In a Salvation Army trench coat!!!

The final performance of SWRB was in Liverpool.  It was Hobson's and Miyako led the Salvation Army pas de six.  When she came on she looked different and I couldn't work out what it was that caused the effect.  I asked a member of the cast and I was told that she had asked the (late) Nick Millington to give her a bigger nose.  He gave her a more European nose and the difference was startling.

This just shows you that she had a really good sense of humour.

• Like 6

The only time I saw her live was in Stanton Welch's Madame Butterfly, in Sydney back in 1995. Utterly beautiful and how I wish I'd had more opportunities to see her dance in person. She also appears to have danced Manon with the Australian Ballet in March that year.

This must have been just before she left BRB, as she was named in the programme as a guest artist, Principal at Birmingham Royal Ballet.

Edited by Sophoife
Edit last para.
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2019 at 09:00, Fonty said:

I thought that too. I'd assumed she'd retired some time ago.

On 31/01/2019 at 17:42, zxDaveM said:

seeing her on telly (in Nutcracker, with Jonathan Cope) got me hooked on ballet, as it inspired me to go to ROH for the first time to see her (in Giselle). The rest, as they say, is history! 🙂

Was that Nutcracker the RB's? If you then went & saw her at the RB. I vaguely remember seeing her as the Sugar Plum Fairy on TV years ago but thought it was the 1994 BRB one she was in. Am I mentally conflating 2 Nutcracker telecasts?