• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, well done ROH for its prompt reaction.  

I think the 62% figure for tickets being available for the public to buy in the Spring Booking period is the interesting one as it’s clearly an aggregation of availability for all performances in the period and would allow for a number of performances to be pretty much sold out prior to general booking opening (as seems to have happened with some Forzas and the Ring and may well happen for the Margot Fonteyn evening).

It’s also good that the ROH reports 17.5% of La forza del destinotickets were available for the public to book online but I rather wonder if this is the average for all Forza performances when Netrebenko/Kaufmann are performing in five of the ten performances  - so perhaps not quite as transparent as might be:

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/la-forza-del-destino-the-royal-opera-houses-position-on-viagogo

And Alex Beard doesn’t actually say what the ROH plans to do about tickets ending up for sale on viagogo.

Edited by JohnS
typo
  • Like 2

The figures weren't inaccurate, just not very palatable....trying to state figures which will include things that aren't selling quickly to counter claims that some very popular opera performances are as good as sold out before the public can buy them is probably more inaccurate

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

Just before the Don Q Insight (very enjoyable), I posted a response to Alex Beard’s news item on the Royal Opera House’s website.  I hope I’ve reflected the various points made above, including: asking about the Netrebko/Kaufmann Forza general booking %age availability (which I assume was lower than the 17.5% for all Forza performances); the 20% target (whether it’s still operating and if it’s per performance or averaged over a booking period); and what action is being taken in relation to tickets being sold on Viagogo.  I imagine my post is awaiting moderation.

• Like 4

maybe the ROH should update Alex Beard's statement dated 24 January 2014 in the Tickets Section of the web site   in which he states that40% of tickets are under £40! And while they're at it, it would be sensible not to show the dates when the box office will be closed over the Christmas and New Year period! It seems to.me that they have let Viagogo etc get away with reselling at an inflated price for quite a few years without taking any serious action, and considering that tickets are rarely checked, or only given a cursory glance, I can't see how they'd pick up tickets for which inflated sums have been paid. I suppose in the end they can only react if those who have paid the inflated prices complain.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnS said:

Just before the Don Q Insight (very enjoyable), I posted a response to Alex Beard’s news item on the Royal Opera House’s website.  I hope I’ve reflected the various points made above, including: asking about the Netrebko/Kaufmann Forza general booking %age availability (which I assume was lower than the 17.5% for all Forza performances); the 20% target (whether it’s still operating and if it’s per performance or averaged over a booking period); and what action is being taken in relation to tickets being sold on Viagogo.  I imagine my post is awaiting moderation.

Quite amazed to see no comments appearing on their News page yet....

A number of arts organisations over here (and several in continental Europe if I remember correctly) require ticket holders to present photo ID plus ticket-with-name-on at the door. And I have seen people being turned away (here, not in Europe, just to clarify) as they had bought from a third-party reseller website at more than 10% above face value. So it is possible to manage this type of touting.

Oh, and Viagogo is under court orders to ensure all sellers give the ticket's seat number (which would of course make tracking down the Evil Profiteers much easier) but are in violation of this. And don't seem to care.

Edited by Sophoife
Add last para. Add bold.

It is indeed very easy to legitimately put a ticket in another's name - either at time of booking (for gifts and multiple tickets on the same booking), and in most cases up to 30 minutes before the performance commences.

This is of course for print at home tickets and those on one's phone screen. I have had a would-be companion change at 6:30pm for a 7:30pm show, and as long as one of the two has the tickets with correct names and both have ID, no problem.

Also of course with the increasing level of security at many venues the checking of name on ticket and photo ID is done at or just after the bag-check point.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alison said:

MCG?

12 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Melbourne Cricket Ground

Thanks BBB, sorry, I forgot that many (most?) BcFers wouldn't have a clue what the MCG is. At least I didn't just write "the 'G"!

And yes, going to cricket or Australian Rules football, there are plenty of security staff, enabling the bag checks and wand swipes to be done as quickly as possible. Given the ground's capacity is approx 100,000 people, it still takes a while to check everyone though...

• Like 1

Was just looking at ROH website yesterday and it is completely different to the last time I looked at it!!

so okay you got to Menu the same and then What's on etc but then all these "events"come up for the general public ( not theatre performance goers) to attend 

I eventually found " All Dance events" and then it took you through in sort of date order and grossly enlarged everything including performances that was dance related but I only wanted to look at the summer June triple and had to keep scrolling down till it got to June.

Is there a quicker way of accessing  just one ballet programme you might be interested in rather than have to look at every event on from February to June? 

It is far inferior ....though more glossy to look at .....to how it was organised before when it was very easy to scan down to the performance you wanted if it was a few months ahead. 

• Like 1

I don’t get that view - it may be that you’ve been randomly chosen to try out a new version.

If you scroll right down to the foot of the page are you able to see a link for 2018/19 then Summer Season? If they’ve taken that away that will be a pain!