Finishing year programmes Europe?

kiwiballetmum

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew of one year training programmes in Europe? My daughter is looking for one to bridge the gap between school and company. I've heard of Northen Ballet's professional graduate programme and Ballet Cymru's pre professional programme but are there others out there that focus on performance/ preparation for company auditions?

Many thanks!

Welcome to the forum, Kiwiballetmum.   I’ve added the tag “Postgrad training” underneath the thread title; if you click on it a list of threads on the subject will appear.  If I remember rightly from previous discussions, there is a “Finishing school” course in Belgium but I’m sure there are others too. 

Are you talking about 17/18 years old? 

Princess Grace of Monaco and several of the German schools e.g. John Cranko Schule, Palucca etc sometimes take students in their final year which might work for your DD.  Obviously entry is highly competitive.

Have you also thought about some of the top Australian ballet schools?  Some of these vocational schools - not associated with a company - are highly motivated to help their students get into top schools or companies.   They act as finishing schools and have established networks and can help with audition tours and  videos.

In the USA there are pre-professional options and university programs.

Edited by DD Driver
  • Like 1

Hi, thanks for your response @DD Driver 

My daughter is 19 so more of a tricky age as not many places seem to take this age group. She does have a couple of auditions lined up for junior companies- Dortmund Ballet and Dutch national as well as doing Grand Audition but would feel better after a rough year to have a solid plan B incase nothing comes of these auditions. Definitely highly competitive to get a place or a contract as there are so many beautifully trained dancers here! Her full time training was in Australia before coming to Europe which is why she wants to stay here ideally but open to all options! 

Also have been looking at trainee/junior companies in US but obviously highly competitive and she has a European passport but unsure about the likelihood of visas etc for the US.

Will have a look for the course in Belgium thanks @Anna C !

Thanks for the help much appreciated:)

• Like 1

Depending on how adventurous she is and whether she has any leanings towards Russian style do consider Vaganova international program. The cost I would say is pretty competitive (all in for about 15,000 US dollars including board and meals and Russian language lessons) and the training really first rate. St Petersburg is a beautiful city and actually relatively small and easy to navigate (and in my experience surprisingly friendly). I know when DS was there they had an Australian boy older than your DD (I think maybe 23 ish?) who had been there for several years so they aren't all that concerned about age - they tend to tell them to stay until they are 'ready'.

Under Tsiskaridze the training seems to be only improving in quality so no worries on that score. A couple of the boys went to Prix de Lausanne last year and did well. 

If you'd like any more details just ask. It may not be something she is interested in at all but I thought I would mention....

• Like 3

Thank you so much for all your replies! @CeliB My DD actually met your lovely son a couple of years ago when she visited Vaganova.... Definitely a dream school of hers but most likely not a realistic option as the level is so high! She has sent a DVD so will have to wait and see. Definitely an amazing training program for those lucky enough to have the opportunity:) Your son was very kind to her during her short time there and we are following his journey with interest!

She had her first audition for a junior company yesterday and made it through to the final cut out of 100 dancers so feeling a bit more positive. Also has been offered a trainee position with Ballet de Catalunya.. It appears more of a bridge between school and company as they offered a scholarship for the school and then she gets paid per performance with the company. So if anyone knows anything about this we would love to hear! Still have a few more auditions next week and will get her to look into those junior companies thanks @2dancersmum and @Kat09 ! 

Thanks for the support its a challenging time for her but hopefully something will work out!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, kiwiballetmum said:

Also has been offered a trainee position with Ballet de Catalunya.. It appears more of a bridge between school and company as they offered a scholarship for the school and then she gets paid per performance with the company. So if anyone knows anything about this we would love to hear! Still have a few more auditions next week and will get her to look into those junior companies thanks @2dancersmum and @Kat09 ! 

Hello- we know girl that had a contract with Ballet de Catalunya and she only has good things to say of her experience .... I'm sure that she will be happy to speak to your daughter -send me a PM and I can put them in touch.

On 30/01/2019 at 11:42, kiwiballetmum said:

Thank you so much for all your replies! @CeliB My DD actually met your lovely son a couple of years ago when she visited Vaganova....

oops sorry I should have remembered that - I'm not very good at equating BCo and real names (and no doubt losing my marbles as I get older...)

C

3 hours ago, CeliB said:

oops sorry I should have remembered that - I'm not very good at equating BCo and real names (and no doubt losing my marbles as I get older...)

C

I’m a new member here so also pretty difficult to make that connection! Once again many thanks for your help x