John Ross RIP

With great sorrow, I have to pass on the news that John Ross died unexpectedly on Monday night.

John took photographs for Balletco, I think starting in 1999 and running through to 2011. He also put up pictures on this forum. In his time he took thousands of images for Balletco, and they will return at some point but under are three that I always remember - I'm doing a page on DanceTabs with many more pictures by him.

John, who was a life-long professional photographer with premises on Tottenham Court Road when I first met him, had two of his own sites:
http://www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk
http://www.johnrossmotorracingarchive.co.uk

Besides taking photographs, John was always a keen supporter of the Ballet Christmas parties we used to hold and usually supplied large prints of his pictures as raffle prizes. He truly lived life to the full and was as busy as ever when I spoke to him in December. All who knew him will miss him, and our thoughts and sympathy go out to his wife Nicky and the family.

jr_the_lesson_laura_morera_johan_kobborg
Laura Morera and Johan Kobborg in The Lesson. © John Ross/ROH.

jr_giselle_david_drew_600.jpg
David Drew (RIP) in Giselle. © John Ross/ROH.

jr_firebird_benjamin_floor_600.jpg
Leanne Benjamin in The Firebird. © John Ross/ROH.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 6

Such very sad news.

I didn't know the gentleman personally but I loved looking at his photographs via this site.  He once sent me a DM thanking me for my support.  I was very touched.

Sincere condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

• Like 2

Oh, this is very sad news.  John and I always had lots of laughs when we met, and I have a couple of his photos that I won at raffles in the old days of the ballet.co Christmas lunches.  He will be much missed, but on the happy side his lovely photos are his legacy that will live on.

My sincere condolences to his family and all who knew him.  xx

• Like 2

I’m very sad to hear this news. John was indeed a very warm and giving person, generous and with a kind word to everyone who met him. His photographs were exceptional and perhaps we even took them for granted, always expecting them to be of such a consistently high standard. His talent speaks through the archive of his work. Thank you Bruce M for making them available to us.

Sincere condolences to Nicky and all his family.

Ah those legendary Christmas parties ! They were great fun! I have a prize photo of Carlos and Darcey signed by John and treasured by me . So here’s a post -Xmas toast to John , may he rest in peace whilst continuing his art ‘ upstairs’ ! Cheers John xx

• Like 4

So sad when someone dies unexpectedly so people who knew him will feel more bereft for that.

I didn't know him personally but loved looking at his pictures of the ballet on here so full of life.

Condolences to family members and the people who knew him

• Like 3

I remember going with Bruce to see John in his studio, maybe 20 years ago - he seemed such a friendly and helpful man and one of the photos he showed us, of the RB corps de ballet in Bayadere, still sticks in my mind as one of the most striking I've ever seen. It's a long time  since I last saw him but I'm sad to hear of his death.

John Ross was a Conservative councillor in the London Borough of Ealing for East Acton ward; elected in 2006, he lost his seat in 2010.  He contested Northolt Mandeville ward unsuccessfully in the most recent London Borough elections in May 2018.  He had served as Deputy Mayor of Ealing in 1990-91, see weblink below with photo.

He was also a Deputy Lieutenant in the Greater London Lieutenancy and presided over UK citizenship ceremonies, once he had retired from active politics.  He conducted the ceremonies of more than one overseas ballet dancer achieving UK citizenship and was always ready to pull out his camera, once the ceremony was concluded.

http://www.ealingtoday.co.uk/default.asp?section=community&spage=common/eacouncil115.htm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I now have details of the funeral for John Ross and plan to go...

It will take place at Ealing Abbey, Charlbury Grove, Ealing W5 2DY, on Tuesday 12th February 2019 at 2:00pm.  Family flowers only please.  For further details please contact nicky@ross.uk.com or W Sherry and Sons (Funeral Directors) Tel: 020 8994 5474.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m so so so sorry to hear this sad news about John - I only found out this afternoon through the tribute to him at the National Dance Awards. I didn’t know him very well, but I always enjoyed our conversations - and the one Balletco Christmas we shared, and I’ll always remember another photographer telling me what a legend he was in photocalls. He’ll be so very missed, and it’ll be so very sad not to see him at photocalls again. Thanks so much for sharing the news, Bruce.

• Like 2