Dutch National Ballet Summer School, advice sought

Coffeemum

Hi, I wondered if anyone has any experience of the Dutch National summer school? My DD has been offered a place but it's eye-wateringly expensive as accommodation is extra on top. Is it worth saving for though? Frustratingly, we have to commit before we find out about other schools so not sure what to do. 

Hello, I am seeking advice about the Dutch National Ballet School, specifically the summer school, where DD has been offered a place.

DD is 17 and studying ballet/contemporary full time but hoping for a place in a tertiary school in Europe next year. She sees herself as more of a contemporary dancer, though she excels at ballet too. We have been told that Dutch National is more classical in character, however note the focus on Wayne McGregor's work at the summer school. Is this a school that is known to make offers from summer school?

She would be travelling from Australia so the expense is considerable.  Hoping someone here can advise us.

11 minutes ago, Dancing2003 said:

Hi Coffeemum & Kanangra

Just wondered how long the response time from NBA from submitting the application and transfer of fee did you hear back? DD is very keen but as you both have said it’s very expensive, and holding back on applying for other summer schools.

Hi, we had a response within around 2 weeks. I think we'll leave it for this year, having heard a few things suggesting it might be more suitable and beneficial for slightly older students. 

Coffeemum what else have you heard? Dancing 2003, our dance teacher applied just before Christmas and we heard back in the middle of January. DD is keen but it will cost a minimum of around $5000 including airfares - so I need to know if it is worth it.

• 1 month later...

My DD went to this summer school age 16 a couple of years ago and found it an excellent all round experience. She stayed in the recommended hostel several km away and travelled in by tram daily. She went alone and soon made friends and is still in touch with some of these girls.There were at least 60 other dancers staying in the accommodation and she was in a room of 4. Both in the accommodation and on the course the dancers were grouped by age.Students were asked to declare if they were interested in full time training at the school and several offers were made. There was a mix of classical and contemporary work.Somewhere in the balletcoforum archive will be my review of this course at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, celb said:

My DD went to this summer school age 16 a couple of years ago and found it an excellent all round experience. She stayed in the recommended hostel several km away and travelled in by tram daily. She went alone and soon made friends and is still in touch with some of these girls.There were at least 60 other dancers staying in the accommodation and she was in a room of 4. Both in the accommodation and on the course the dancers were grouped by age.Students were asked to declare if they were interested in full time training at the school and several offers were made. There was a mix of classical and contemporary work.Somewhere in the balletcoforum archive will be my review of this course at the time.

Thanks Celb that’s very encouraging 

• 4 years later...
12 hours ago, expatballetmom said:

Wondering if anyone has experience with Natl Dutch Ballet Academy SI for the 12-14 age group. It's only a week and wondering what the level of training is like etc. Thanks!

It has quite a good reputation! My DD will join as well this summer (for the first time). I know a little bit about how it was organised last year from some other moms. The 12-14 group was divided in two groups of +-25 students. Good classes, nice accomodation. The last day (on Sunday) you will be able to watch the classes. I also know a mom that will chaperone this year, so a big advantage for my daughter as she will know someone to go to for any issues. 

Edited by BarbaraH

2 hours ago, BarbaraH said:

It has quite a good reputation! My DD will join as well this summer (for the first time). I know a little bit about how it was organised last year from some other moms. The 12-14 group was divided in two groups of +-25 students. Good classes, nice accomodation. The last day (on Sunday) you will be able to watch the classes. I also know a mom that will chaperone this year, so a big advantage for my daughter as she will know someone to go to for any issues. 

That is amazing to hear! My DD is 13 and we are considering whether to let her go also for the first time. I really appreciate the feedback!