Jaho in Traviata

Geoff

Just out of tonight’s ROH Traviata with Jaho (back at Covent Garden in that role for the first time in seven - ! - years) so want to say what everyone already knows: Jaho is the real deal and this is wonderful. If anyone is wavering about getting a ticket, do what you can to get in to see her (I am going back next week).

She is doing this once more - the live cinema next Wednesday - which is of course sold out but there are ways to get in. The cinema transmission will be fine but that technology cannot match the extraordinary sound she makes in the theatre. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3

Saw the performance in our local cinema in France last night. Jaho was quite wonderful, and so well supported by Castronovo and Domingo. It seems hardly possible that Domingo still has such a voice at 77! 

Richard Eyre’s timeless production still thrills, and in the cinema we had the bonus of interviews in the intervals with, among others, Eyre himself and Domingo. Hadn’t heard the story that Solti and Eyre collaborated 25 years ago when Solti was conducting La Traviata for the first time and it was Eyre’s first effort at an opera production! Two incredible talents combining!

It was a truly memorable and pleasurable evening, with scarcely anything to criticise, especially enjoyable after the disappointment of the quirky Queen of Spades last week.

• Like 2

Finally got round to seeing the peerless Ermonela Jaho and, my goodness, I can't think of anyone else who could make a production which I have seen on so many occasions feel so fresh and compelling. She really does touch the heart in a way that no-one else can. What more can I say, apart from the fact that everyone else making their way down in the lift from the rear amphitheatre made it abundantly clear that they felt exactly the same. This truly was a performance that will live long in my memory.

• Like 2