I have, Don Q Fan. This has replaced Onegin as my favourite ballet since I first saw it in Munich a few years ago. I find the whole concept fascinating and  very intense.  Last April I saw it in Hamburg where it was beautifully danced, although I have a soft spot for the performers in the dvd (Bubcenik, Riabko, Azzoni etc) The only negative is that it has ruined all other Swan Lakes for me!

• Like 1

I do hope you enjoy it DQF.  It's one of my favourites which I only know from DVD. IMHO it fits the Ludwig ll (aka the Swan King) story perfectly. Best modern classical version of SL. Would love to see it live. Do please let us know what you think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toursenlair said:

chiming in to say I've seen Neumeier's Swan Lake in both Hamburg and Munich and I LOVE it.

It helps if you read up  on Ludwig II beforehand; see if you can find something with illustrations of his castles as the decor is alluded to in the set.

Or the Luchino Visconti film "Ludwig".

I also watched it in Munich with Lucia Lacarra as Princess Natalia, what a stunning production and there is a fabulous DVD by the Hamburg Ballet. 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2019 at 16:06, Don Q Fan said:

Thank you everyone for the rave reviews! Not sure I can fit it in, but I will definitely try.

Do try to make it. I love the original SL woven into Ludwig's story and ironical use of Petipa's choreography. E.g. when to the music/dance of the Black Swan in the 3rd act is used for a white swan to seduce the King,, but with good intentions behind it, plus myriads of references to the original bt in a different context. Next to the tormented Ludwig, I find Siegfried like an immature teenager. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Pleased to say I saw a lovely performance of John Neumeier's Illusions Like Swan Lake last Thursday in Hamburg.  I really enjoyed this unusual take on the traditional story.  It was very well danced by all not least Alina Cojacaru - although I did think at first she didn't have that much to do!  However she came into her own in Act 3 and yes there were 32 fouettes as well!  I am now really hoping to be able to go again next year to see this show.  Thank you to all on here who said to go and see it!  A few pics from the curtain call:-

D69C5ELWwAIvgG1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ensemble

D69C5EKWwAMfkN8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Alina Cojacaru (Princess Natalia), Edvin Revazov (King Ludwig), Anna Laudere (Odette), Florian Pohl (The Man in the Shadow)

D69C5ESWkAAuI8A?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Anna Laudere (Odette), Florian Pohl (The Man in the Shadow also played Rothbart), Patricia Friza (King/Queen Mother)

D69C5ELW4AIGwIY?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Emilie Mazon (Princess Claire) and Jacopo Bellussi (Count Alexander)

• Like 5