Royal Ballet Summer Season casting

5 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

I assume it's Osipova demanding to dance with Hallberg! (little Mr O'Hare can do about that)

There is. She is a company member just like anyone else. Unless she has negotiated a special clause in her contract, of course.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

Thanks for that Bluebird .....looking at overall casting for each ballet looks like June 12 th for me!!

After some consideration I think I'll be aiming for 12th June too, as it has the casts I'd most like to see for Firebird and Month in the Country so at least that's a 2 out of 3 majority!

Bracewell seems to be getting quite a lot of "principal" roles this season. I don't know if O'Hare operates the one leaves, another one gets promoted system but if he does then, given Soares' announcement, would I be right in thinking that Bracewell must be a strong contender for promotion?

• Like 4

This could be because Corrales is injured still.

As he is not in any of this casting I am really worried about him ....it looks like he could be out for the whole season.

He is still down to do the R and J 's but now I'm not so sure.

I would have loved to have seen him in this as the tutor setting all the ladies hearts alight!!

Also .....sorry blathering on about the website again it annoys me that when you click on the red button which tells you you can't book yet .....it used to come up with all the new booking dates but now just takes you to the more about the ballet bit so completely stupid I'm afraid.

Edited by LinMM

18 hours ago, alison said:

She has been, I think, although not that often.  Cojocaru did it just after her promotion (possibly because she was effectively ruled out of doing much else after her expected mid-season promotion).  Possibly Viviana Durante?

Wendy Ellis definitely danced it 

Love the look of all the casts although not bothered about O/H in Month and it would be the matinee when I'd rather see Muntagirov in it. The real tragedy here is the tiny number of performances, will we actually be able to get/afford tickets on general booking,  and it not being filmed for cinema. I doubt there's any point lobbying for a relay? 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 22:55, Xandra Newman said:

I assume it's Osipova demanding to dance with Hallberg! (little Mr O'Hare can do about that)

On 22/01/2019 at 04:49, capybara said:

There is. She is a company member just like anyone else. Unless she has negotiated a special clause in her contract, of course.

I can see no reason why Miss Osipova should not have negotiated a clause in her contract reserving her right to her choice of partner if available - it's demonstrably the case with Messrs Hallberg and Shklyarov, after all - I mean, it's not as if she joined the company as an unknown, and wasn't one of the reasons she and Vasiliev went freelance in the first place for more artistic freedom?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably the umpteenth person to say this, but the casting for Symphony in C looks very muddled (I'm assuming it is correct) with dancers never appearing alongside the same line-up twice.  By the looks of it, just depending on which principals have or haven't been in Month in the Country on the same night...

Indeed, I'm now wondering whether nights when (for example, but I'd say the most likely candidate) Hayward is not listed in Symphony in C might mean she could be Vera in Month on some of those dates...

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

The website at  https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/a-month-in-the-country-by-frederick-ashton still isn't showing the other ballets correctly for all dates either. When I look at the first night, 4th June, on the Overview page Naghdi is the first dancer listed followed by Nunez, Osipova, Watson & Bracewell, a random jumble of names from all 3 ballets. Then when I click on the See Prices button, to try to see the casts separated out, Naghdi isn't there at all, only Watson, Arestis & Avis are listed under The Firebird.

5th June is even more confusing but in a different way: there are 2 casts listed under each of the 3 ballets, except for The Firebird where Naghdi is the only one listed in the title role. The 16-dancer line-up for Symphony In C would certainly be a dream cast if it were to actually happen!

7th June has no casts listed for Month or Symphony & no title role for Firebird. I can only guess that the website has somehow managed to list the 7th June cast members under 5th June.

12th June has no dancers listed for any of the 3 ballets.

13th June is, like 4th June, missing the title role for Firebird.

14th June is missing the title role for Firebird, has 2 casts for Month & 10 dancers listed under Symphony.

While noting the above from the individual See Prices pages, I've realised that the 5 names given for each date on the Overview keep changing as I click in & out. For instance the first night went from Naghdi, Nunez, Osipova, Watson, Bracewell to Naghdi, Nunez, Osipova, Watson, Watson & then back to the original. Cuthbertson, Hirano & Crawford are all duplicating on other dates.

I have no technical knowledge of websites so I don't know how it's managed to do this but didn't anyone from the ROH's website team check that everything was displaying correctly once they had added the casts to the site? They must have the correct cast lists because if you look up each performance individually by date then those cast lists are correct, e.g. 12th June has everyone listed at https://www.roh.org.uk/events/blh5n. So why are they so odd on the overview page & the See Prices sub-pages?

For comparison, I am signed in to the site but I don't have any sort of membership. On previous discussions of the website displaying casts wrongly, people signed in with various levels of Friends have said that they can see it correctly. That's all very well but if the ROH is trying to encourage new audiences then surely it's important to have it displaying for people who aren't signed in, or who only have a general public account, as well as for Friends.

Sorry, this has ended up longer than I intended but the more I looked the more errors I saw!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The website at  https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/a-month-in-the-country-by-frederick-ashton still isn't showing the other ballets correctly for all dates either. When I look at the first night, 4th June, on the Overview page Naghdi is the first dancer listed followed by Nunez, Osipova, Watson & Bracewell, a random jumble of names from all 3 ballets. Then when I click on the See Prices button, to try to see the casts separated out, Naghdi isn't there at all, only Watson, Arestis & Avis are listed under The Firebird.

5th June is even more confusing but in a different way: there are 2 casts listed under each of the 3 ballets, except for The Firebird where Naghdi is the only one listed in the title role. The 16-dancer line-up for Symphony In C would certainly be a dream cast if it were to actually happen!

7th June has no casts listed for Month or Symphony & no title role for Firebird. I can only guess that the website has somehow managed to list the 7th June cast members under 5th June.

12th June has no dancers listed for any of the 3 ballets.

13th June is, like 4th June, missing the title role for Firebird.

14th June is missing the title role for Firebird, has 2 casts for Month & 10 dancers listed under Symphony.

While noting the above from the individual See Prices pages, I've realised that the 5 names given for each date on the Overview keep changing as I click in & out. For instance the first night went from Naghdi, Nunez, Osipova, Watson, Bracewell to Naghdi, Nunez, Osipova, Watson, Watson & then back to the original. Cuthbertson, Hirano & Crawford are all duplicating on other dates.

I have no technical knowledge of websites so I don't know how it's managed to do this but didn't anyone from the ROH's website team check that everything was displaying correctly once they had added the casts to the site? They must have the correct cast lists because if you look up each performance individually by date then those cast lists are correct, e.g. 12th June has everyone listed at https://www.roh.org.uk/events/blh5n. So why are they so odd on the overview page & the See Prices sub-pages?

For comparison, I am signed in to the site but I don't have any sort of membership. On previous discussions of the website displaying casts wrongly, people signed in with various levels of Friends have said that they can see it correctly. That's all very well but if the ROH is trying to encourage new audiences then surely it's important to have it displaying for people who aren't signed in, or who only have a general public account, as well as for Friends.

Sorry, this has ended up longer than I intended but the more I looked the more errors I saw!

Welcome to the ROH's brave new world!

• 1 month later...

I did.  I'm still getting nothing, just a long list of when booking opens, and how much the seat prices are.  And anyway, I would still expect it to be available on that page.

Possibly once public booking opens it will be visible, but currently it isn't, which must make it difficult for some people to work out which performances they want to see.  Fortunately, Lizbie posted the PDF link, so I can use that, because not even clicking on the individual ballets works in this instance.

2 hours ago, alison said:

I did.  I'm still getting nothing, just a long list of when booking opens, and how much the seat prices are.  And anyway, I would still expect it to be available on that page.

Possibly once public booking opens it will be visible, but currently it isn't, which must make it difficult for some people to work out which performances they want to see.  Fortunately, Lizbie posted the PDF link, so I can use that, because not even clicking on the individual ballets works in this instance.

It is there, as yumiko says above. After the list of performance dates with booking information there are three subheadings. Scroll to the third one 'Latest Cast details' and click on the date(s) required. This works for me in both Firefox and Chrome.

Edited by Josephine

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one currently obsessively email checking in the expectation of a cast change announcement for the mixed bill opening night & slightly baffled that none has yet arrived? Given both Takada & McRae have been officially ruled out of the Japanese tour surely they're not going to be in Symphony in C next Tuesday?

Not to mention that there's no official updates on the injury status of William Bracewell and Reece Clarke.  (Perhaps that's why no announcements have been made yet - there are so many to sort :( )

The problem with all this is that information is leaking out and it's far better for the Company that there is an official version NOW.

However, the Director will also have been finalising the casting for the autumn booking period so he has had rather a lot on his plate.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RuthE said:

And if Tierney Heap has been posting pictures relating to her recent leg surgery on social media, it's fairly obvious that she won't be dancing her advertised performances of The Firebird.

Yes. 🙁😭

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

The problem with all this is that information is leaking out and it's far better for the Company that there is an official version NOW.

However, the Director will also have been finalising the casting for the autumn booking period so he has had rather a lot on his plate.

I don’t think Kevin O’Hare is above reproach, but do we know whether this is his fault? I could be wrong but I don’t remember cast changes  being so sloppily announced or so late prior to the last year or so.

26 minutes ago, alison said:

Not to mention that there's no official updates on the injury status of William Bracewell and Reece Clarke.  (Perhaps that's why no announcements have been made yet - there are so many to sort :( )

I can understand that they might be holding off the autumn casting announcement because of injuries but they must know who will/won't be recovered in 6 days' time! It's clear from dancers' Instagrams that rehearsals for the triple bill have been going on for weeks. I think it was the first week in May that Hinkis posted a photo of her & Hallberg rehearsing for Month in the Country.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I can understand that they might be holding off the autumn casting announcement because of injuries but they must know who will/won't be recovered in 6 days' time! It's clear from dancers' Instagrams that rehearsals for the triple bill have been going on for weeks. I think it was the first week in May that Hinkis posted a photo of her & Hallberg rehearsing for Month in the Country.

And on Hallberg's instagram he indicated today (?) that the first stage calls for Month in the Country were ensuing. 

On my Facebook page today there was a picture of Tierney Heap on a photo shoot ( today) advertising a certain Company's dance gear!!

She was looking very elegant in leotard and pink tights and pointe shoes and although you can't tell from a still photo of course you would never guess she had just had surgery or anything.....she looks as if she could dance out of the photo!!