Royal Ballet: Asphodel Meadows / The Two Pigeons / RBS: The Cunning Little Vixen, 2019

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that's a really lovely photo of Yasmine!!

I really enjoyed the performance last night and neither of these two dancers has any problem projecting up into the Amphi ( though was in the Balcony last night) 

There is almost the problem with Naghdi ....for this ballet...as she has such a strong stage presence ....that she could be just too strong a personality to make it believable ...here is a girl who is certainly a match for the gypsy girl....in fact I kept thinking Naghdi would make a fabulous gypsy girl herself ..... Have any dancers ever alternated these roles? But she did pull it off ..just..I felt ....so you did believe she was genuinely hurt by her lover leaving. 

I hate to compare performances too much as different dancers bring different things to the table but personally  I would choose the Hay/ Takada performance over last nights as being the more moving in the end because I felt that both Hay and Takada both had that extra touch of vulnerability which I think is important in this ballet. Takada did her feisty best but was no match for the full on sexiness of the gypsy girl whereas I though Naghdi could match her in every way....what did she have to fear!! 

I love Kaneko as a dancer and thought she made a lovely vivacious gypsy girl but again I thought Magri just had the edge in this role ...just a little more grit. 

Luca Acri was just right as the gypsy boy and again loved the dancing in this Act .....AND ...did I at last spy Joseph Aumeer dancing last night in a sort of dark Limey green costume? All the men were good but he ...if it was Aumeer ...and Joe Sissens stood out for me but all joyful dancing ...just wonderful.

Naghdi's dancing was really very beautiful in the final pas de deux and Campbell seemed truely remorseful ( but I loved him in the gypsy scenes to be honest) and the pigeons behaved like true stage veterans so a very moving but this time not actually weepy ending for me.

The Royal Ballet Schools Cunning Little Vixen was very well danced by all  ( hope they got a lie in this morning!) and could join the Beatrix Potter piece as a lovely ballet to show to young audiences. Some nice roles here for young dancers and a certain  "Mr Frog"  last night showed he is a particular talent to watch! 

Didn't notice Royalty was present last night but did see Alan Titchmarsh in the downstairs  " cafe" before the performance. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 6

“Have any dancers ever alternated these roles?”

Yes LinMM Margaret Barbieri, who danced the Gipsy Girl at her graduation performance, alternated in both roles in the 1970’s or 1980’s with SWRB. Fantastic she was in both roles as well. There may have been others but none that I can remember.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Having now liked both Asphodel Meadows & The Cunning Little Vixen more than I was expecting to I'm vaguely wondering if I should consider braving Frankenstein, which seems to elicit very mixed views.

Well it would certainly be very different from either of those! But I would say it's worth a try, especially since it has apparently had some tweaking since its première.

30 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Didn't notice Royalty was present last night but did see Alan Titchmarsh in the downstairs  " cafe" before the performance. 

I saw Mr Tits-Pervert from Bridget Jones's Diary two rows in front of me.....I managed to take a panoramic view from my seat featuring both him and HRH🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Yes LinMM Margaret Barbieri, who danced the Gipsy Girl at her graduation performance, alternated in both roles in the 1970’s or 1980’s with SWRB. 

That must have been difficult - on a par with dancing Tatiana and Olga in Onegin.  In the "dance-off" in Act I, "Now, let me see, who am I playing?  Do I dance this bit well, or badly?"

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

Yes LinMM Margaret Barbieri, who danced the Gipsy Girl at her graduation performance, alternated in both roles in the 1970’s or 1980’s with SWRB. Fantastic she was in both roles as well. There may have been others but none that I can remember.

I know Marion Tait danced the Young Girl. I could imagine her as the Gypsy as well. 

On 13/02/2019 at 10:21, Quintus said:

Thoroughly enjoyed both Cunning Little Vixen and Two Pigeons tonight. Fumi was gorgeous and the pigeons' performance impeckable.

(can't edit previous post to add this quote, sorry for double posting in short time frame)

Quintus, that's brilliant. And everybody, thanks for all the comments - as it's not on cinema relay this season I've had to resort to DVDs of previous productions and I think I may wear out my copy of The Two Pigeons

• Like 1

My friend got a last minut ticket to see saw Cuthbertson and Muntagirov ....her third cast...and she loved Cuthbertson ( well both of course) in the role. I had said I didn't think she would suit it that well but in fact friend said she was really touching and convincing not too mature etc etc 

She saw Campbell and Choe, Hay and Takada and Muntagirov and Cuthbertson and by a small margin thought Campbell and Choe were her favourites this time round....only just though!

• Like 3

Thought last night's performance of Two Pigeons was perfect, there was youth and exuberance as well as emotion,  lovely to see a completely different cast from the one I keep watching on Blu-Ray.  Akane Takada and James Hay danced as beautifully as I had expected, and no over-acting which made it all the better, and Mayari Magri and Valentino Zucchetti were brilliant counterparts, some great dancing by Magri, she looks like a natural Kitri!  Luca Acri was very exciting  too as the gypsy boy.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Matthew Ball's name on the cast list partnering Laura Morera, but Asphodel Meadows made no more impression on me this time than before, something to do with the irritating lighting, more light and less shade please. Good contrast with Two Pigeons though.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

My friend got a last minut ticket to see saw Cuthbertson and Muntagirov ....her third cast...and she loved Cuthbertson ( well both of course) in the role. I had said I didn't think she would suit it that well but in fact friend said she was really touching and convincing not too mature etc etc 

She saw Campbell and Choe, Hay and Takada and Muntagirov and Cuthbertson and by a small margin thought Campbell and Choe were her favourites this time round....only just though!

My mother loved Cuthbertson too & thought she was better than Naghdi. I enjoyed both their performances about equally but in different ways. Out of the two casts I saw the only point at which I felt I could really split them on merit was the Young Man's Act 2 solo, in which I thought Muntagirov was defininitely better than Campbell. This isn't to say that Campbell didn't do it very well but Muntagirov is so good technically that I would guess there aren't many dancers that he doesn't out-do in the big solos. (Was Muntagirov a late developer? I'm baffled as to why, when he trained at the RBS, the RB didn't snap him up straight away & that's the only possible reason I can think of.)

5 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see Matthew Ball's name on the cast list partnering Laura Morera, but Asphodel Meadows made no more impression on me this time than before, something to do with the irritating lighting, more light and less shade please. Good contrast with Two Pigeons though.

Was he scheduled to dance or was he replacing Bracewell?

I also enjoyed the Takada/Hay last night - much more to my taste.

And I loved Asphodel Meadows - good to see Nunez and Morera, of course, but what really excited me was the way Scarlett handles the corps de ballet - choosing to use a corps of 7 couples means he can't 'rest' on symmetry and the inventiveness of what he does  instead is just so clever!  - I'd watch it again with great pleasure no matter who was dancing the leads.

It also reminds me of how little stage-time non-narrative 'traditional' ballet gets at the RB these days - I guess KOH doesn't love it like I do.

• Like 5

In tonight’s episode of Pigeonwatch: Pigeon flies past the Young Man’s outstretched hand and parks itself on the right hand edge of the stage, with a comical raised eyebrow the Young Man dashes off without his bird. The next scene starts and The Wayward Pigeon starts to fly around the stage, is this to be the premiere of The Three Pigeons!? No, at the last moment it flies off stage to the right and everyone can relax.

Join us next week in a novel tv schedule mashup as we ask the Pigeon handler if they want to....Love It Or List It. Phil Spence tries to find a more  reliable pigeon while Kirstie Allsop seeks to rearrange the insides of the current pigeon on a budget of just £20,000 

• Like 4

Somehow this performance of Pigeons felt quite different tonight. (It's the fourth I have seen this season and second time with this cast). I think the Pigeons could sense a certain excitement in the air as even that supreme Pigeon handler, Alexander Campbell, was unable to contain one of the Pigeons' wayward exuberance. 

Was it just my perception of time, or did conductor Barry Wordsworth take everything just a little bit faster tonight? I am sure that's the reason why Campbell and Choe had a near crash in one of their first pas de deux (beautifully disguised). The girl's friends' had to really move as their dance just afterwards looked like it was taken at quite a lick. Also in Act 2 everything seemed thrillingly fast - so much so that the Gypsy Girl's lover's solo moment wasn't as noticeably speeded up as it usually is and hence Nicol Edmonds received a big round of applause for his split leaps. 

I did wonder if Barry Wordsworth was playing faster (I think) because the programme with Cunning Little Vixen is now much longer, or did something about it being February 14th have an effect?

Edited by Darlex

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

In tonight’s episode of Pigeonwatch: Pigeon flies past the Young Man’s outstretched hand and parks itself on the right hand edge of the stage, with a comical raised eyebrow the Young Man dashes off without his bird. The next scene starts and The Wayward Pigeon starts to fly around the stage, is this to be the premiere of The Three Pigeons!? No, at the last moment it flies off stage to the right and everyone can relax.

A 1960s production photo featuring Christopher Gable and Lynn Seymour (I think) appears to show three pigeons! This is a cropped detail, as the full image was too large to upload here. I have been unable to confirm the photographer's name.

Moderators: please remove image if my posting it here contravenes AUP. Thank you.

20190215_084136.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Josephine said:

A 1960s production photo featuring Christopher Gable and Lynn Seymour (I think) appears to show three pigeons! This is a cropped detail, as the full image was too large to upload here. I have been unable to confirm the photographer's name.

Moderators: please remove image if my posting it here contravenes AUP. Thank you.

20190215_084136.jpg

That must be the same non compliant pigeon as yesterday, it looks exactly the same!!😮

• Like 3

Talking of Barry Wordsworth, what was the incident with the score on Wednesday Tuesday?  I didn't quite catch all of it.

And was it the same cast for Vixen last night, or different?

Edited by alison
To correct date

6 minutes ago, alison said:

Talking of Barry Wordsworth, what was the incident with the score on Tuesday?  I didn't quite catch all of it.

And was it the same cast for Vixen last night, or different?

Same cast last night 

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

The wrong score was on his music stand so he had to dash back in and get the right one.  

Did some cunning joker put the score for Foxy Lady there? 🦊 

Edited by Rob S

Oh, poor Campbell. In the last run 3 years ago, 'his' pigeon failed to attach to the back of the chair and, fluttering around on the floor instead, pretty much drew all eyes away from the reconciliating couple.

Edited by capybara
[Deletion because I was commenting on the basis of false information - now corrected above!
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Duh, sorry!  There are so many Pigeons this week that I can't keep track!

Hey, James Hay's pigeon didn't appear to peck, claw or anything else on Tuesday night!

Hay wasn't on on Tuesday night, at least not when I was watching Campbell!

Edited by capybara