Royal Ballet: Asphodel Meadows / The Two Pigeons / RBS: The Cunning Little Vixen, 2019

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FLOSS said:

I will begin by asking everyone who posts on this site a very simple question and it is this. If you had never heard of  Asphodel Meadows or the Two Pigeons and you knew nothing about either of them would anything on the ROH website have induced you to buy a ticket for the programme ?

Yes, I knew nothing about these works before seeing them advertised on the ROH website, and booking through it (notwithstanding a few recent well discussed quirks, I find the ROH website very informative and user friendly). I am very glad I did, especially for The Two Pigeons.

I am relative new balletomane; the only other complete Ashton ballets I have seen so far live being limited to (BRB) La Fille Mal Gardee  and Les Patineurs (RB), plus the Voices of Spring PDD (Choe/Campbell - RB Spring Gala) - all were wonderful.  Also The Dance of the Blessed Spirits (Muntagirov solo RB Spring Gala).

From various Ashton recordings I have seen, my favourites so far are The Dream, plus Rhapsody, both of which I would love to see live...

My  approach with the RB in particular at present is likely to be "You stage it, I'll book it"....!  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I will begin by asking everyone who posts on this site a very simple question and it is this. If you had never heard of  Asphodel Meadows or the Two Pigeons and you knew nothing about either of them would anything on the ROH website have induced you to buy a ticket for the programme ?

I didn't know anything about them, beyond being vaguely aware that ballets of those names existed, until after I really enjoyed the Patineurs etc. triple bill in December & started eyeing up what else the RB was doing mixed-bill-wise this season. The following items on the ROH website induced me to buy a ticket: Nunez, Morera, Bracewell, Cuthbertson & Muntagirov! Though before I booked I did look up the plots of both pieces (found that Asphodel Meadows doesn't have one!) & sought assurance from the Forum that Asphodel Meadows was fairly classical in style.

Bit late to the party but wanted to say I really enjoyed Saturday evening's' show.  I cannot wait to see Mayara Magri in DonQ as Kitri as her Gypsy Girl was amazing in 2P!!  Was it David Yudes with Val Zucchetti (see my photo below)?

Loved Mayara Magri and Tristan Dyer in Asphodel Meadows as well they really stood out!

A few photos from the curtain calls:-

Dyv5BIBXQAAuOxC.jpg

Ensemble

Dyv5F1SXQAA4LXM.jpg

Mayara Magri after 2 Pigeons

Dyv5TovXgAEE0Oq.jpg

Akane Takada/James Hay/Mayara Magri

Dyv5HaUW0AUXKDS.jpg

Valentino Zucchetti and David Yudes

Dyv2iefX4AIzLw5.jpg

Asphodel Meadows ensemble - Magri&Dyer/Hinkis&Acri/Nunez&Hirano

• Like 12

6 hours ago, FLOSS said:

Simple answer: Nope.  Not a dicky-bird.

(Anyone who agrees with me but doesn't want to contribute further is welcome to Like this post)

• Like 2

It's sad to think that (and this is conjecture only: Two Pigeons won't be performed for a few seasons and Laura Morera may have retired by the time it comes back) Morera will have only danced the role of the Gypsy Girl a total of four times in her whole professional career. She did dance it in the school performance years ago, but still, she is so brilliant in the role and I want to see her do it again! Very few audience members will have ever had the pleasure. 

An embarrassing amount of tickets still available for pigeons/rbs this week. Just got an email from roh encouraging me to book for one of the 3 shows this week... Valentine’s Day looks like it will be particularly empty- stalls and stalls circle only half full. 

RBS/Pigeons on 12th was opened for Young ROH Standby on Thursday. That is three out of six with three to go (19th Jan, 2nd Feb mat, 12th Feb). Unprecedented surely. It is the first time I have seen the decision made so far ahead of time, normally it is the day before. Also, tickets sold very slowly even at the reduced price, normally they are mostly gone within a few hours. There are still some decent seats available. Very sad, the company, the pigeons, and the students deserve better. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Valentine’s Day looks like it will be particularly empty- stalls and stalls circle only half full. 

I've been trying to avoid looking at what's available for the 14th as I've already got a stalls seat and I probably should have gone for a nice unobstructed side Stalls circle.

I did manage to pick one up for tomorrow that's marked Friday Rush despite me booking it on Saturday

Edited by Rob S

16 minutes ago, alison said:

So where were the marketing department on this?  If you can't sell Two Pigeons for Valentine's Day, when can you?

Would love to get my hands on their marketing. So many things I would do differently, including their brand campaign (tube posters) which do nothing to entice action. So many ways to tease a potential audience to want to discover more - could have been far more effective.

• Like 5

Something in the marketing department should change. Heads should roll. It seems that no effort whatsoever has been taken to sell these programmes. (Asphodel/RBS/Pigeons). Maybe they should have at least one person on the team who understands the 'product' they are selling. 

3 hours ago, Saodan said:

RBS/Pigeons on 12th was opened for Young ROH Standby on Thursday. That is three out of six with three to go (19th Jan, 2nd Feb mat, 12th Feb). Unprecedented surely. It is the first time I have seen the decision made so far ahead of time, normally it is the day before. Also, tickets sold very slowly even at the reduced price, normally they are mostly gone within a few hours. There are still some decent seats available. Very sad, the company, the pigeons, and the students deserve better. 

I even got a leftover Friday Rush balcony standing for tomorrow night’s show!  Bought this afternoon.  

Just imagine, if they succeed in elbowing out all the faithful regulars who (shock!  horror!) go to multiple performances, how many fewer tickets would be sold for these slow burners!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sim said:

I hope he stays long enough to see Miss Naghdi’s debut in 2P!

I don't see any reason why HRH wouldn't stay for Two Pigeons. Liam Scarlett and Yasmine Naghdi are both ex-White Lodgers and Alexander Campbell trained at the Upper School. HRH will get to see RBS pupils in training followed by the performance of professional RBS Alumni.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Darlex said:

Something in the marketing department should change. Heads should roll. It seems that no effort whatsoever has been taken to sell these programmes. (Asphodel/RBS/Pigeons). Maybe they should have at least one person on the team who understands the 'product' they are selling. 

This is not a scientific study, but when reading the New Yorker article about New York City Ballet posted in today’s links, I was struck that the three adverts scattered through the piece were all from ROH but none for the ballet.

The three operas were Katya Kabanova (on now, selling slowly - fair enough that they’re pushing it), Billy Budd (on in April/May and as good as sold out already) and Tosca (on in May/June and only two dates left with 100+ tickets remaining).

Why are Tosca and Billy Budd being pushed in an article *about ballet* when RBS/Two Pigeons isn’t?

(I can see a tenuous argument that Tosca can be a way to lure people to the website, but that doesn’t explain Billy Budd. And if it’s a question of RB marketing funds not having been allocated, why isn’t Andrea Chenier, which needs the help, being prioritised?)

• Like 3