A friend needs help with an application photo

ScottishDancerMum

Hiya yes

Basically

stand facing the front in first position

Right or left leg to the side (depending which leg she can get highest!)

Then lift (develope) leg to side turned out from hip

arms in second position

Hopefully the child should be able to follow those instructions too 😳

Edited by Dancing unicorn

4 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Why isn't her teacher helping?  Whenever any of my pupils wish to apply with photos I help guide the pose while mum takes the pics.  Having an older student there can be useful too. 

I asked, but she didn't tell me.  I promise this isn't me... I would have done this with our teacher as I'm no expert.

• Like 1

Asking DD to get photos done at school was not easy nor that successful....

I think courses (especially those that must get huge numbers of applications like RBS/Elmhurst) that decide on photos alone are very misguided...

Also, those that offer audition (eg YBSS/ENBS) option provide something back - a great class & chance to dance with peers & experince style of institution. It feels far easier to part with those hefty application fees if you know they actually get to see them dance in person & choose from that...

• Like 2

Oh gosh I think I’m one of those nightmare overbearing teachers, I wouldn’t dream of letting any of mine send in photos I hadn’t personally taken. I remember way back actually researching the most flattering angles for dance photos. Then I sit and scrutinise the photos zooming in and out vetoing photos before I put together the albums, organised by audition school, so the parents don’t have to work out which photo belongs where. Those successful students are wonderful free advertising, so you get out what you put in 

• Like 12

You can get her to contact me. I had spreadsheet going on with all the schools we applied and their requirements. Photos including profile was done by ex ENB dancer (could provide contact) and that was the best decision i have done. I used to take them myself, but for upper schools i didn't want to let my DD down. I have good contact for someone (freelance cameraman for BBC) who did our audition video editing as our teacher just took took various videos and email them in. I could not even imagine to cut it all to 12 minutes. He did fantastic job including introduction and labeled all exercises and we met the audition deadlines.
Both photos and videos had that professional touch and i could sleep at night that DD is presented in the best light at the initial stages. 

We even used those same photos for this year auditions for various summer programs and they did the job again. (all money worth spent). 

• Like 3

On 24/01/2019 at 13:55, FlexyNexy said:

You can get her to contact me. I had spreadsheet going on with all the schools we applied and their requirements. Photos including profile was done by ex ENB dancer (could provide contact) and that was the best decision i have done. I used to take them myself, but for upper schools i didn't want to let my DD down. I have good contact for someone (freelance cameraman for BBC) who did our audition video editing as our teacher just took took various videos and email them in. I could not even imagine to cut it all to 12 minutes. He did fantastic job including introduction and labeled all exercises and we met the audition deadlines.
Both photos and videos had that professional touch and i could sleep at night that DD is presented in the best light at the initial stages. 

We even used those same photos for this year auditions for various summer programs and they did the job again. (all money worth spent). 

I just saw this - thanks, Flexy!

• Like 1

Gosh yes - I wouldn't let a student send in photos without my approval. There are so many things to check on!  Especially in that leg in the air out to the side (à la seconde en l'air) . Is her supporting leg turned out, pulled up, foot not rolling, body centered, arms well held etc etc?   Even the easier ones are tough and when they choose you just by looking with a practised professional eye at your photos they'd better be good!  She really needs a teacher to check the photos before sending them. Thank goodness for digital cameras on phones!  I used to spend a fortune developing photos and throwing most of them!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 1