Royal Ballet - Don Quixote - Spring 2019

12 hours ago, Coated said:

Can't wait for the Bolshoi. Forgot how much I dislike this busybee, crammed, frilly and overstuffed production.

Then you should have come to the Harrow Vue cinema which tried to persuade us to watch the Bolshoi version!

From 7.15, when the live relay from the Royal Opera House should have started, we were "treated" to being shown people wandering about in a Bolshoi Theatre anteroom (I assume that is what it was), then a woman speaking in Russian, French, and English from the stage with Boshoi dancers preparing behind her. I wasn't the only one who dashed out to tell management they'd got the wrong one.

They eventually managed to switch to the Royal Ballet one just in time to see Don Q, followed by Sancho Panza, exiting his room. As I have seen the ballet a number of times I knew what we had missed in the prologue, although there were a good number in the cinema who hadn't seen it before. I particularly regretted not seeing the intro when I discovered at the interval that Kristen was presenting. Hope it gets put on the ROH website. Well, at least I got my money back so had a free evening.

Edited by MargaretN7
  • Like 3

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Not really; they flirt, tease and show off in public, but (discounting of course the viewing  audience)   their love making at the beginning of Act 2 is private, and quite moving  and tender  at times - particularly so with Takada and Campbell, I thought. For example there is a brief moment when everything seemed to stop, just after she affects to be cross about his stolen kiss, and they look at each other each other lovingly before she falls into his arms and he lays her down. And later Campbell steals more than one kiss from her outstretched arm when she points for him to fetch her shawl. 

Yes, you are right. There are  intimate moments within the public scenes, but that is the point I was making about this ballet, that the action is almost entirely in a public space and their relationship is conducted amidst this frantic atmosphere. 

I think Stanislaw has a real presence on the stage. It helps that he’s tall dark and handsome, but he screams ‘prince’ to me so I really hope there’s a big future there. I first noticed him in the background in Swan Lake last season wearing the military uniform in the opening act and thought to myself “whoever that is, we’ll be seeing more from him soon”....great to see his little guitar cameo in Don Q at the moment! 

• Like 3

On 20/02/2019 at 22:28, Ian Macmillan said:

Well, as something of a Don Q sceptic, I have to say I really enjoyed last night's streamed showing.  I'd somehow assumed we'd seen the Acosta version before but, as soon as the Prologue started, it became clear this was all new to me.  A great improvement on the other productions I've endured, and certainly well put across by one and all, from Ms Takada and Mr Campbell down to the youngsters involved at times.  The new sets, chaps actually playing guitars, and a Don Q who retained some dignity and was not entirely doddering - all most welcome.  

Actually, Ian, you were right in the first instance, this Acosta Don Quixote was previously cinemacast in October 2013, with Miss Nuñez and Mr Acosta in the roles of Kitri and Basilio.💐

How I remember is that Australian Ballet's Brett Chynoweth was on a travelling scholarship and can be seen as a fandango dancer in the film, clearly visible behind Miss Nuñez during the whole-cast curtain calls. 😁

Edited by Sophoife

10 hours ago, alison said:

I must say that, even more than live, in the cinema I kept wanting to turn both the brightness and the colour up!  That photo has just reminded me.

I haven't seen the relay but the first DonQ I saw a couple of years ago was very dark. You would have thought the boffins would have sorted it this time round and lit the stage more brightly this time. They never seem to "get it" at ROH. 

• Like 1

I thought the cinema relay could have done with better lighting. Several times the cameras seem to be switching angles because the first shot was too dark and not just the gypsy scene but the street scenes. I thought the idea was to present a sunny Spain (at least in the street scenes) but several shots looked very overcast.

However, the quality of the dancing shone very brightly. I'm glad Campbell has had a chance of a leading cinema role; he made a very appealing Basil. I thought Takada was brilliant technically (one of the best I've seen since the early Osipova) though perhaps hasn't quite got Nunez' sunny personality. Was extremely impressed with Christopher Saunders Don Q; he made him a real character, romantic yet dignified. Loved Anna Rose' Amour; which in itself is an achievement as I usually find this character rather twee and irritating. Also Magri's Mercedes (looking forward to seeing her Kitri later) and Zucchetti's matador were both terrific.

• Like 8

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 07:19, Richard LH said:

I don't know about that rehearsal Jenny but as well as Avis playing Lorenzo, I think there were one or two differences from your list of ladies/men groups when the Takada/Campbell cast played on Saturday.   Anyway this is the main cast list for tonight, as now displayed on the ROH website. I don't think they will publish any more details about the groups, so that will be an observational test. 

On Saturday Lara Turk was the lucky tavern girl who becomes   Gamache's final bride choice, as well as Dulcinea.

Cast

DON QUIXOTE CHRISTOPHER SAUNDERS
SANCHO PANZA PHILIP MOSLEY
LORENZO GARY AVIS
KITRI AKANE TAKADA
BASILIO ALEXANDER CAMPBELL
GAMACHE THOMAS WHITEHEAD
ESPADA VALENTINO ZUCCHETTI
MERCEDES MAYARA MAGRI
KITRI’S FRIENDS YUHUI CHOE, BEATRIZ STIX-BRUNELL
TWO MATADORS NICOL EDMONDS, BENJAMIN ELLA
GYPSY COUPLE ITZIAR MENDIZABAL, TOMAS MOCK
THE QUEEN OF THE DRYADS FUMI KANEKO
AMOUR ANNA ROSE O’SULLIVAN
DULCINEA LARA TURK
FANDANGO COUPLE GINA STORM-JENSEN, NICOL EDMONDS
TOWNSPEOPLE, MATADORS, ARTISTS OF THE ROYAL BALLET,
GYPSIES, DRYADS STUDENTS AND JUNIOR ASSOCIATES OF THE ROYAL BALLET SCHOOL

I'm surprised no one has commented on the brevity of the cinema cast list and the omission of both Gary Avis and Thomas Whitehead from it.  This really irritated me because I knew who they were, but obviously many in the audience didn't.  I also found myself distracted by trying to spot who all the matadors were, because I could see they were very different from the rehearsal cast, and that distracted me from the overall dancing. I didn't recognise Tomas Mock (also not listed) but thought he was brilliant and was frustrated to have to wait right to the end of the broadcast to discover who he was. 

There's been some fuss on Twitter on this, with some comments now deleted. I really can't see why it has to be so minimal. They are missing the opportunity to publicise the RB dancers to a worldwide audience. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'm surprised no one has commented on the brevity of the cinema cast list and the omission of both Gary Avis and Thomas Whitehead from it.  This really irritated me because I knew who they were, but obviously many in the audience didn't.  I also found myself distracted by trying to spot who all the matadors were, because I could see they were very different from the rehearsal cast, and that distracted me from the overall dancing. I didn't recognise Tomas Mock (also not listed) but thought he was brilliant and was frustrated to have to wait right to the end of the broadcast to discover who he was. 

There's been some fuss on Twitter on this, with some comments now deleted. I really can't see why it has to be so minimal. They are missing the opportunity to publicise the RB dancers to a worldwide audience. 

It just no longer surprised me that the cast sheet was so poor. Both in the omission of Lorenzo and Gamache although they were mentioned in the synopsis, and in the fact that Espada, Mercedes and Amour WERE listed and yet NOT mentioned in the synopsis. There was space for the synopsis to be slightly longer; there was plenty of space to list GA and TW. I'm afraid I just put it down to yet more daftness from the ROH. I kind of expect it now. Which is sad.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'm afraid that's the way it usually is with the cinema cast sheets: I guess someone thinks that the cinemagoers are just casual visitors who couldn't care less about the more minor characters (and even some of the major ones, in this case) :(  Did they not put a full cast sheet on the website this time?  (And was there an e-programme?)

2 hours ago, alison said:

I'm afraid that's the way it usually is with the cinema cast sheets: I guess someone thinks that the cinemagoers are just casual visitors who couldn't care less about the more minor characters (and even some of the major ones, in this case) :(  Did they not put a full cast sheet on the website this time?  (And was there an e-programme?)

No. After much effort on the new website (as it now appears not to show past performances as it used to do) I found the PDF and its glaring omissions of two characters without whom the whole story of Kitri and Basilio becomes meaningless.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

Can't wait to hear views on last night (Cuthbertson/Ball etc)

Me too. I've just got home from work, sat down in my kitchen with a hot chocolate, eager to read all the reports....and nothing. Oh well will have to wait till this afternoon now when I wake up 😏

• Like 2

Well I wasn't going to write anything but since no one else has yet I will.

First off I have to say this is only Acts 1 & 2 as I'm suffering with the cold that half of London seems to have and I just ran out of energy. 

I went with lowish expectations for enjoyment because I really didn't like the production last time but I have to say in this respect I was pleasantly surprised. My friends felt the same and we wondered why, perhaps the standard of dancing was better ? Certainly it felt as though the company were more committed, there was a lot of energy on stage without which Don Q can be a big flop, the "oles" sounded less forced and even the musicians were bearable. I agree with others who have commented that all the constant movement on the periphery of the stage while there are principals or soloists dancing is very distracting.

So to the dancing. I feel that Kitri has to work incredibly hard to make an impact on her entrance because she runs on to stage with no musical accompaniment which means we're not expecting her ? Lauren Cuthbertson certainly made an exuberant entrance and this set the tone for her Act 1. I personally thought she was terrific, she's looking better than ever and she threw herself into Kitri: confident, fun characterisation accompanied by excellent dancing. I'm afraid that I felt Matthew Ball rather paled by comparison. I'm not sure Basil is a role that plays to his strengths,  I found his dancing under powered, for me Basil has to be spectacular and he just wasn't.  Ball's partnering was in the fine category, he needs to work on supported pirouettes but the one handed lifts both happened and the second one was held for ages. 

Mayara Magri gave a great account of Mercedes in Act 1 - she's grown hugely in stage presence and is always notable. As for Ryo Hirano !  I never would have thought he could make such an impact, he smouldered ! And good lord what charisma,, Ball could have done with some of it and Hirano certainly had more than enough for two ! 

I loved the Avis, Yudes combo of the Don and Sancho Panza. 

I enjoyed Act 2. Yuhui Choe was the Queen of the Dryads, she danced with precision although maybe she was slightly small scale. The performance of the corps was well rehearsed. The stage scenery here gives a more modern feeling to the ballet. 

Anyway, that was it for me but I'm looking forward to lasting for all three Acts this afternoon. 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 7

I'm there this evening & had been wondering if anyone else from here would also be there & interested in meeting up. However as I haven't seen much ballet I'm not sure if I'd be able to say anything interesting enough on the subject to make it worth anyone's while meeting me.

11 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm there this evening & had been wondering if anyone else from here would also be there & interested in meeting up. However as I haven't seen much ballet I'm not sure if I'd be able to say anything interesting enough on the subject to make it worth anyone's while meeting me.

Yep that sums me up too....I'll be there this evening and available to say things like 'wasn't it great when the main woman did that...thing'

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Yep that sums me up too....I'll be there this evening and available to say things like 'wasn't it great when the main woman did that...thing'

I used to think I could reliably identify 2 ballet moves: jetes & pirouettes. Then I saw the RB Swan Lake cinecast last summer & discovered I can't tell the difference between fouettes & pirouettes!

Edited by Dawnstar
I also can't spell fouttes.

4 hours ago, annamk said:

As for Ryo Hirano !  I never would have thought he could make such an impact, he smouldered ! And good lord what charisma,, Ball could have done with some of it and Hirano certainly had more than enough for two ! 

Apparently Matthew Ball has been spotted 'smouldering' as Espada too. It is a role which, I think, requires a bit of height to succeed and both Hirano and Ball have that advantage.

Why aren't people rushing to post about the Cuthbertson/Ball performance? Maybe too busy being at two more Don Qs today?

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Because because it was disappointing, I’m afraid that this pairing does not really work. In act 1 Matthew postured a lot but in act 3 in white tights his poor feet and lack of leg line were cruelly exposed , Lauren I feel came out of it better . Early days let’s see other performances,perhaps coaching to put them in the right direction 

I’ve just got home from today’s matinee, a really joyous afternoon. There was so much to enjoy, a number of strong performances. I thought Kaneko and Camargo were a delightful pairing, with plenty of chemistry. They thoroughly deserved the loud cheers at the curtain calls.

• Like 1

Brief thoughts from the matinee. 

Fumi Kaneko was a pitch perfect Kitri. In every respect hers was a performance worthy of an experienced principal. Absolutely dazzling. 

Camargo has a warm stage presence and was a generous partner, although his performance in the solos was not particularly a virtuoso one. 

Nicol Edmonds made a creditable debut as Espada, but smoulder a la Hirano he did not. 

Individually, I admire Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Isabella Gasparini but although they look right together as Kitri's friends, they often seem to hear the music differently. 

For me, Act 3 is the weak link in this production. As far the setting is concerned whilst I appreciate why Acosta didn't want a grand palace style, it's too ordinary and the stage looks cramped. With regard to the choreography I just wish he had left it as the Russian companies dance it, because the changes he has made take the spectacular out of the grand pas and solos. In general I don't find his choreographic contribution an enhancement, there are several lifts in various places that just look awkward, and although the idea of the Act 2 opening pdd to "Bayadere" music is a nice idea, the ordinary choreography makes it a lost opportunity.

• Like 2

I'd love to know what the ROH consider to be important cast changes. I've just had the following approximate conversation with a programme seller.

Me: That's a lot of changes.

Her: Yes but not important ones.

Me: I thought Laura Morera was dancing the second most important female role?

Her: But Nunez & Muntagirov are on.

So do the ROH only consider the lead couple to be important? If so then I disagree with them.

If anyone wants the details of the cast changes:

Mendizabal replacing Morera (Mercedes)

Moseley replacing Yudes (Sancho Panza)

O'Sullivan replacing Stix-Brunnell (Friend)

Magri replacing Kaneko (Q of Dryads)

Edmonds replacing Zuchetti (Fandango)

Padjak & Braendsrood replacing Mendizabal & Zuchetti (Gypsy couple)

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd love to know what the ROH consider to be important cast changes. I've just had the following approximate conversation with a programme seller.

Me: That's a lot of changes.

Her: Yes but not important ones.

Me: I thought Laura Morera was dancing the second most important female role?

Her: But Nunez & Muntagirov are on.

So do the ROH only consider the lead couple to be important? If so then I disagree with them.

If anyone wants the details of the cast changes:

Mendizabal replacing Morera (Mercedes)

Moseley replacing Yudes (Sancho Panza)

O'Sullivan replacing Stix-Brunnell (Friend)

Magri replacing Kaneko (Q of Dryads)

Edmonds replacing Zuchetti (Fandango)

Padjak & Braendsrood replacing Mendizabal & Zuchetti (Gypsy couple)

I wonder if the RB/the dancers know that the ROH staff are being told to say this? Who IS telling them to say this?

• Like 4

Tell Gary Avis!! 😀

Interesting situation shortly before the start, there I was innocently standing at my Stalls Circle Standing position when a couple walk up to me and say they have my position and the one next to it...then a man comes up and says he has the position next to me....we all have correctly dated email screens or print outs. A member of staff promptly appears and then goes off to find out what to do, the couple then get ‘upgraded’ to the rear seats of the Royal box ‘for the first act while they sort something out’.

Incidentally, Nuñez and Muntagirov were amazeballs in the first act 💃🙂

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2