Royal Ballet - Don Quixote - Spring 2019

Oh dear, reading (most of!) the comments on last night makes me want to see Osipova/Muntagirov, despite having already seen Nunez/Muntagirov & having Magri/Campbell booked for Saturday. That's one of the problems I have with theatre: the more I see, the more I want to see!

• Like 6

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed last night's performance, largely due to spirited cast, particularly Osipova's pure joy on stage, Muntagirov's wonderful dancing, as well as Reece Clarke's swagger, Fumi Kaneko's beautiful queen and Isabella Gasparini's pixie like amour. This was the first cast I'd voluntarily see twice in this production. As for the production itself, Nogoat's post pretty much captures how I feel about it. I seem to get more irritated by the shouting the more often I see it, and suspect I'll reduce my booking to Frankenstein levels when it comes around again. Reece's humour and the charmingly droll leads did help the Tavern scene though, I didn't contemplate giving up on ballet all together during it for once.

ETA: The props department might also need to get some slightly larger capes for tall Espadas. Reece looked liked he's whirling a large handkerchief around at times. Very dashing handkerchief whirling, of course.

Edited by Coated
  • Like 5

In the Mariinsky’s Instagram Natalia Osipova deeply apologised to all ballet-goers who were disappointed with the cancellation of her appearance in Don Quixote at the Mariinsky on 28 March. She explained that the situation at her “home theatre” (this is how she referred to the ROH), with casting and injuries, requires her presence in London. She said that she feels sad and genuinely sorry and promised to definitely come later and dance at the Mariinsky.

Edited by Amelia
tried to make it smaller but failed
  • Like 7

I'm amazed that a guest artist can pull out like this (not blaming anyone!) at the last minute just because they're deemed to be needed at their home company. Are all guest appearances covered by this proviso, then, that the dancer might not in fact perform? If so, guest appearances/bookings are really quite provisional which I hadn't realised. Or is it just the RB that makes this proviso if their dancers perform elsewhere?

I still find it bizarre. Her Saturday evening London performance has been scheduled for months, so was known about when she agreed to the Mariinsky performance.  What other performance is she required in London for ? Surely she can’t be on standby to do the Saturday matinee of Don Q as well as the evening ?

• Like 1

I wish that this thread hadn't been taken over by the latest Osipova 'saga'.  After all, it's not as if her withdrawal from guesting in St Petersburg has affected her appearances in Don Q here and what everyone thought about her performance as Kitri is surely far more interesting.

So here goes.......... I absolutely love Osipova's energy, especially in Don Q and Flames of Paris, but, and I can't quite put my finger on it, there is now a wildness of movement, a tightness in her shoulders and a hardness of facial expression which, for me, undermines her artistry in classical roles. There is no way that I am not going to continue to find her 'interesting' and eminently 'watchable' but her dancing is not as much to my taste as it is to her ardent and loyal supporters, whose support I understand and respect although I cannot fully share it.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6

Presumably the RB performances with Osipova were scheduled some time ago. And the Maryinsky perhaps not quite so.long ago. it would therefore seem to me foolish to consider two RB performances, plus another version at the Maryinsky, plus rehearsals,plus travel all in one week. it seems to me that it was inconsiderate on the part of whoever was responsible for the Maryinsky performance to arrange it. 

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

I wish that this thread hadn't been taken over by the latest Osipova 'saga'.  After all, it's not as if her withdrawal from guesting in St Petersburg has affected her appearances in Don Q here and what everyone thought about her performance as Kitri is surely far more interesting.

So here goes.......... I absolutely love Osipova's energy, especially in Don Q and Flames of Paris, but, and I can't quite put my finger on it, there is now a wildness of movement, a tightness in her shoulders and a hardness of facial expression which, for me, undermines her artistry in classical roles. There is no way that I am not going to continue to find her 'interesting' and eminently 'watchable' but her dancing is not as much to my taste as it is to her ardent and loyal supporters, whose support I understand and respect although I cannot fully share it.

I don't think it's a 'saga', capybara - it's a matter of interest and raises questions about guesting generally.

I agree that Osipova is far from pure or flawless in classical roles, but I find I am also still an 'ardent and loyal' supporter. I find her more than 'watchable' or 'interesting' - I find her absolutely mesmerising.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Nogoat said:

I’m led to the inevitable conclusion that it’s the production that’s to blame for the empty space in my head.

NoGoat, by way of perhaps underpinning your comments about (duff) music, (clumsy) playing and (limp) conducting last night, might I quote a certain Geoff who at the beginning of the run posted:

>>This conductor is I suspect not the easiest to work with (he gives the impression of being understandably interested in pointing up aspects of the “new version” of the score, which is however perhaps not really a priority)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, annamk said:

I still find it bizarre. Her Saturday evening London performance has been scheduled for months, so was known about when she agreed to the Mariinsky performance.  What other performance is she required in London for ? Surely she can’t be on standby to do the Saturday matinee of Don Q as well as the evening ?

Posts  on the Russian forum do suggest a possible explanation, but without adding to the specific injury speculation there, it may be  that for whatever reason the original "cover plan" for Saturday's two Don Q performances, that Kevin O'Hare had in mind when he first permitted Osipova to go, is not now possible. Hence the need to avoid  the risk of  her picking up a problem in St P, or getting delayed on her Friday return. 

I can't imagine that performing Kitri twice in one day would be ideal,  but that is exactly what Takada did in 2014. Having danced the matinee,  she took over after Osipova was injured in Act 1 of the evening performance. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Posts  on the Russian forum do suggest a possible explanation, but without adding to the specific injury speculation there, it may be  that for whatever reason the original "cover plan" for Saturday's two Don Q performances, that Kevin O'Hare had in mind when he first permitted Osipova to go, is not now possible. Hence the need to avoid  the risk of  her picking up a problem in St P, or getting delayed on her Friday return. 

I can't imagine that performing Kitri twice in one day would be ideal,  but that is exactly what Takada did in 2014. Having danced the matinee,  she took over after Osipova was injured in Act 1 of the evening performance. 

I'm trying to work this out but can't get it to make sense. If the implication is that Osipova may be needed to cover for a possibly injured Magri then why would Magri have been dancing in last night's R&J, as per reports on that thread?

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm trying to work this out but can't get it to make sense. If the implication is that Osipova may be needed to cover for a possibly injured Magri then why would Magri have been dancing in last night's R&J, as per reports on that thread?

I thought it was more that if she got injured on Thursday or couldn't get back in time, there would be a problem covering her on Saturday evening. But I don't know if that's right either.

Does anyone know: is the withdrawal of a guest artist because they're needed at home very rare? Or is it a real possibility to be aware of when booking for guest artists generally? I haven't heard of it before, but maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

I find completely normal that Kevin O'Hare asked her to stay in London. I think that directors are generally quite generous with the authorizations they give for guest performances. But giving the priority to your company is a must for a dancer !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I thought it was more that if she got injured on Thursday or couldn't get back in time, there would be a problem covering her on Saturday evening. But I don't know if that's right either.

That does make more sense than the way round I was reading it.

2 hours ago, alison said:

It has occurred a few times that I'm aware of.

Since we don't actually know the thinking behind the withdrawal, perhaps we shouldn't speculate further.

Sorry. I'm just stressing as I have a ticket for the Saturday matinee & would really like both Magri & Campbell to be on!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Saodan said:

Didn't Obraztsova withdraw at short notice from an RB Swan Lake a few years ago because the Bolshoi needed her back as injury cover?

Yes indeed she did - I had tickets for that very performance and I was extremely disappointed. It is rare that I have had an opportunity to see her dance in the uk as sadly she doesn’t seem to tour with the Bolshoi. Hence I have every sympathy with people who had bought tickets in good faith to see Osipova and are now disappointed. I doubt any explanation will satisfy them.

Nonetheless I would love to see Shklyarov as Basilio.

3 hours ago, Shade said:

Nonetheless I would love to see Shklyarov as Basilio.

We did see him in that role with the Mariinsky at the ROH  ..... and were VERY lucky to have Muntagirov with Osipova at the RB in DQ.  He was PURE magic.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Well if Yevseyeva stood in for Osipova at Mariinsky on 28th. then they are lucky because I still remember Yevseyeva's performance as Kitri here last time they were here she was wonderful especially her gorgeous fouettes with arms held high above her head.  Stunning.  

• Like 4

Three pieces from Don Q. at Mariinsky, 28 March, with Shklyarov, Yevseyeva, a flock of Vaganova  Academy pupils and Anastasia Nooikina, last year graduate, as the Queen of the Dryads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCCQ7LNEiVE&nbsp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hBslY2RmU&nbsp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvtNTOLfG4Q

Edited by Amelia
Changing full pictures to the link.
  • Like 2

The cast changes were announced over the speakers at the pre-curtain announcement. First time I've heard that this season. I guess someone has been listening to all the complaints!

Oh and Reece Clarke as Espada is so good looking I'm not surprised he was having success with so many of the village girls!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, capybara said:

What's the betting that the replaced dancers will be on this evening instead?

Espada tonight might be a case of last man standing! After Clarke having replaced Zuchetti, there was then an announcement at the start of Act 3 that Clarke had been injured in Act 1 & was being replaced by Edmonds. I've already started praying that Clarke's injury isn't serious, given his upcoming Romeos.

• Like 1

My cup runneth over...two magical debuts in less than 48 hours!  

What a wonderful and confident debut from Mayara Magri today. She was cheeky, funny, flirtatious, and all to such musical and classy dancing 💃🏻!  Partnered by a superb and equally cheeky and flirtatious Alexander Campbell, the chemistry between them was sizzling. 

Gary Avis was a touching Don whose clarity of gesture really told his story.  Lovely, assured Queen of the Dryads from Claire Calvert, and Bennet Gartside made me giggle out loud!  A huge ole to Nicol Edmonds for taking over the role of Espada in Act 3 and doing a fine job!  I hope Reece Clarke is ok. A joyous afternoon where the sun and warmth outside were met with equal intensity inside.  Bravo to all!

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

The cast changes were announced over the speakers at the pre-curtain announcement. First time I've heard that this season. I guess someone has been listening to all the complaints!

Haha I thought the same thing when I heard the announcement (and for Nicol Edmonds replacing Clarke for the third act)

• Like 1

Edmonds replaces Clarke as Fandango Man this evening, Gartside replaces Whitehead as Gamache.....and as the ROH is taking part in Earth Hour at 8.30 presumably candles replace the normal stage lighting for Act 2 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 5