Royal Ballet - Don Quixote - Spring 2019

21 hours ago, Sim said:

I thought Yuhui was quite underpowered as the Queen of the Dryads.  

“Underpowered”? Well maybe so - but then against some standards it was quite an underpowered evening all round (this goes to the wider conversation as to what classical ballet should be these days and where the current RB company fits in with that, deep waters and not for me to go into here or anywhere really as I’m a beginner on that subject).

What I particularly appreciated about Yuhui’s solo was her musicality. I love it when a dancer conveys the impression of dancing to or with the music, rather than just doing the steps while the music plays. This conductor is I suspect not the easiest to work with (he gives the impression of being understandably interested in pointing up aspects of the “new version” of the score, which is however perhaps not really a priority) but for me her few minutes shone very brightly that evening. Reminded me of her lovely variation in the recent run of Bayadere.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve always enjoyed Yuhui’s beautiful dancing and ever since her early performances with the RB she has stood out for her expression and grace. I saw her as a ‘ star’ in the corps in Cinderella and she certainly had star quality then. I have always hoped she would make principal one day.... 

Queen of the Dryads is quite a contained and lyrical role anyway. But maybe with all the Spanish and gypsy bravura roles going on in the ballet the quieter roles look understated rather than underpowered ? 

Jusy my view 😀

• Like 11

No, I meant underpowered, and I am referring to the dancing, not the role.  I love Yuhui’s dancing but I just found that her two performances didn’t produce any effect of being a queen, or make any impact on me. Fumi, on the other hand, did.  She was a regal and expansive queen.  Just my view.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

“Underpowered”? Well maybe so - but then against some standards it was quite an underpowered evening all round

But then, to a certain extent, the whole production could be described as "underpowered".  It does suit the Royal Ballet better that way, of course, but it's certainly not loud and brash à la old Bolshoi version.  It was my first viewing on Wednesday, so I don't have anything to compare it with in this run as yet, but my impression was that it was distinctly "softened".

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, alison said:

But then, to a certain extent, the whole production could be described as "underpowered".  It does suit the Royal Ballet better that way, of course, but it's certainly not loud and brash à la old Bolshoi version.  It was my first viewing on Wednesday, so I don't have anything to compare it with in this run as yet, but my impression was that it was distinctly "softened".

I don't think that the opposite of 'loud and brash' is necessarily 'underpowered'. Either way, if this production is 'underpowered' I'd hate to see a powerful production... (I did see a Kirov Don Q many years ago, but I can't remember how that struck me.)

• Like 2

I think that some people expect Bolshoi bravura in this ballet, and if they don’t get it, it must be underpowered or soft. This is a classical ballet, and one of the things I loved about Fumi’s performance was her constant classical grace, perfectly balanced with the technical requirements of the role, which she executed beautifully.  

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Sim said:

I think that some people expect Bolshoi bravura in this ballet, and if they don’t get it, it must be underpowered or soft. This is a classical ballet, and one of the things I loved about Fumi’s performance was her constant classical grace, perfectly balanced with the technical requirements of the role, which she executed beautifully.  

I don't like the fact that the Bolshoi can easily tip over into 'circus tricks' and I did find that the very long lifts in the Act 1 pas de deux disrupted the lovely flow of Fumi's dancing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I think that some people expect Bolshoi bravura in this ballet, and if they don’t get it, it must be underpowered or soft.

True.  I think the Mariinsky version is "softer", isn't it?  (I haven't seen it recently)

• Like 1

I know that this is off topic or going back to the topic of the lighting in the cinema viewing, I decided to get the BluRay from 2014 and shocked at how badly the village scenes come across - the sky which is a vivid, sunshine blue when seen in the ROH looks much darker and dull. I think it affects the overall sharpness of the image too.  It's such a shame. I suppose there's no hope of a new DVD ironing this out if this was an issue this time round given the comments above.

Having said that, I do think this is a lovely, colourful production and to get back on topic, much prefer it's naturalness vs the Bolshoi version which I saw last time they visited. Circus tricks indeed - some seriou back bends going on which looked both completely unnatural and frankly dangerous for back health. The production is of course, huge, or possibly better described as vast, which I think detracts a little from the humanity of it - we are supposed to be in a little Spanish village after all.  There's much more of a human quality to Acosta's version and always fascinated by the Royal Ballet's ability to act with every ounce of their bodies.  

• Like 5

What I do like about this version is that it has a real feeling of community: it really feels like a place where everyone knows and cares about (or is irritated by!) everyone else.  Plus, although I haven't actually done a roll call, it does appear to give more or less everyone their little (or not so little) moments even if they are very low down the ranks.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, alison said:

............although I haven't actually done a roll call, it does appear to give more or less everyone their little (or not so little) moments even if they are very low down the ranks.

Yes, including the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers and several RBS students. Nice!

Just a few fairly random thoughts from last night....

Casting for Espada changed from the previously advertised Zucchetti, to Edmonds on the cast sheet, then, due to the latter’s illness, to Matthew Ball. Good to see him but perhaps he  didn’t quite have the same panache as Hirano or Zucchetti in the role. Mind you, he made a tavern girl swoon in act 3 – something I hadn’t noticed before!

The corps ladies looked so beautiful in Act 2. I love the music and their charming  Dryad dance sequences. Totally bonkers, of course, but part of an old man’s dreams (by which I mean Don Q)!

Kitri cheekily discards Basilio’s red rose in Act 1 as she walks off with Don Q, so it was good to see reparation  in real life as Akane gave Alex a red rose from one of her bouquets during the curtain calls.  

Akane had to deal with a loose shoe ribbon in Act 1. Fortunately this came near the end of a dancing sequence and she was able to restore it a bit later, but in the meantime she ignored it and coped admirably. It made me wonder what would happen if a main character’s wayward shoe or loose ribbon  prevented safe dancing… do they have “all pause”  contingencies for such things?

Apart from that, it was lovely to see her again completely  inhabiting the role of Kitri with her every step, arm and body position, and facial expression.

Alex was such a good partner in assisting her to execute whip-like spins and high leaps, and he had no problems with two long one-handed lifts this time.

In Act 3 Akane’s  fouettes included a triple and she was getting applause by their end which was sustained through Alex’s turns and through to the end of the coda, and of course thereafter. I have not seen that before!

A neighbouring audience member said at the end he had never seen anything more beautiful than this performance. Hard to disagree!

And still more to come…best wishes to Yasmine Naghdi and Marcelino Sambe in their debuts tonight!

• Like 12

I thought there must be some RB students dancing the other night as there were a couple of males in particular who were really good and no matter how many dancers I looked up on the RB website I couldn't identify them!! Though definitely saw Aumeer dancing this time.. no doubt ...glad to see him with the Company now. 

Will comment a bit more on Wednesdays performance later but I did think Fumi was a great Kitri....so much joix de vivre in her performance. 

• Like 2

On 01/03/2019 at 11:07, Sim said:

😱. What a shame!  

Agree. Am going tonight and having already seen Magri as Mercedes, would have been fantastic to see Beatriz Stix-Brunell. Such a great saucy role for her. I do hope she is not seriously injured? On her Instagram she's posting her usual fun loving, hard working clips from class or the gym.

7 hours ago, Sim said:

What a joyous performance all round tonight!

Wasn't it just!

Both Yasmine Naghdi and Marcelino Sambe seemed to be having a ball, and boy, was it infectious! I barely stopped smiling all the way home 🙂

• Like 16

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

Both Yasmine Naghdi and Marcelino Sambe seemed to be having a ball, and boy, was it infectious! 🙂

I actually thought that the audience was a trifle slow to warm up and kept on saying to myself, "Come on, folks - this is something special here!" But they 'got it' in the end and there were lots of cheering  'standers' in the Stalls (as well as people rushing away too obviously - grrh!)

But, WOW to Naghdi, Sambe, Kaneko and O'Sullivan in particular. A night to treasure. I'm still exhausted from all the clapping.

• Like 12

What a fabulous night indeed! Boy, Yasmine Naghdi and Marcelino Sambe "jumped" onto the stage with immense joy, it was truly infectious. A remarkable, very assured and amazing debut of these two dancers. Samba's partnering skills had visibly improved since the Insight Evening and he partnered Naghdi beautifully. Their shared joy, dancing as Kitri and Basilio, turned the whole ballet in a very sunny affair. Both are such technically accomplished dancers, Sambe's jumps and Naghdi's turns and balances impressive. Fumi Kaneko a beautiful Queen of the Dryads, Anna Rose O'Sullivan lovely as one of Kitri's two friends and gorgeous as Amour, Ball was also good as Espada. 

The whole company gave it their all in last night's performance (as they always do). Lots of flowers for Naghdi, who picked a white rose from one of her bouquets and presented it to Sambe. They were clearly emotional during the curtain call and Naghdi gave Sambe a very affectionate hug. A very appreciative audience, loud cheers and long applause, they received a standing ovation from parts of the Orchestra Stalls audience. 

• Like 11

I've got sunshiii-iiine, on a cloudy day......just by remembering last night.  It was indeed something special.  Sambe and Naghdi burst onto the stage like a sudden ray of sunshine through a dark cloud, throbbing with pent-up energy and the sheer thrill of it all.  They worked so well together:  fun, flirtatious and fabulous.  The chemistry was palpable, and this Kitri and Basilio clearly loved each other's company.  Both showed some great and natural comic timing, especially in the fake death scene in Act 3, which got loud laughs.  They are both superb technical dancers and showed the audience the full range of their skills last night, Marcellino jumping almost as high as Sancho Panza was thrown, but without the help,  and Yasmine whipping through those fouettes (including a couple of triples) with seeming ease and delight.   You really believed in this couple, who for three hours made life seem fun and sunny all the time.

Matthew Ball was a smouldering Espada (I would have swooned too!), and he danced his Act 3 solo with panache.  He might not be a 'firecracker' dancer, but he has a lot of class and for me that is just as impressive.   Itziar Mendizabal did a great job at very short notice;  due to a rehearsal injury to Mayara Magri yesterday afternoon, she was asked to step in as Mercedes at very short notice (at least this was announced on the tannoy!), and she and Matthew had no time to rehearse together.  Considering that Ball had rehearsed mostly with Beatriz Stix-Brunell until a few days ago, then with Magri, then nothing with Itziar, he did a wonderful job of partnering.  I do hope Laura Morera recovers in time for any future performances this run.  She is the only one who turns the 'ring scene' in Act 3 into more comedy:  when Gamache gives the serving girl the engagement ring, Morera/Mercedes is furious and starts prodding the hapless Espada asking him 'hey, where's my ring??  What's taking so long?  What's the matter with you?  SHE has a ring and I don't?'  The arguing continues into the wedding scene and is very funny.  No-one else does that!

Fumi Kaneko was just beautiful again as Queen of the Dryads, and another sparkling Amour from Anna-Rose O'Sullivan capped off a wonderful evening.  What a shame these two, plus the lead gypsy couple (lots of fun and heat from Lukas BB and Romany Pajdak) don't get curtain calls at the end, but I guess they would rather go home than wait around for an hour and a half for a curtain call.  Maybe they should do what the Russians do and have a red run at the end of Act 2, for those who won't be applauded at the end.  

I can't wait to see this cast's second performance, and hopefully Beatriz will have recovered from her injury so that we can see her Mercedes.  

Meawhile, a big 'ole' to them all for such an enticing and special performance.  

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, Sim said:

Maybe they should do what the Russians do and have a red run at the end of Act 2, for those who won't be applauded at the end.  

Please, not that Sim!

Otherwise very pleased to hear all the good reports of Naghdi and Sambe, and the other cast members.

Why not?  After all their hard work and the pleasure they give us in the roles the audience should have a chance to thank them and show their appreciation.  There is nothing wrong in my view  in just bringing the four of them out for a curtain call. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

So it seems the RB is having to cope with Morera, Stix-Brunell, Magri and Heap all ill or injured at the moment ☹️

Also Corrales, Bracewell, ?Edmonds. ?Zuchetti. And Reece Clarke also seems to have 'disappeared' from the stage.

Morera is still listed for Frankenstein.

Well Sim put it so well l don't know what else I can add! The whole evening was sparkling and such impressive debuts from Yasmine and Marcellino. They owned the stage from the moment they arrived and the final pas de deux was sensational. I was very close to the stage and could clearly see the interplay in looks and gestures between them. There was a lot of chemistry between them and they seemed to be having a great time which meant the audience had a great time too. Matthew Ball was terrific as Espada and Romany Padjak was also terrific as lead gypsy at short notice. Why isn't she used more? 

Spoke to Magri at the stage door afterwards and she seemed OK so fingers crossed for her Kitri. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Why not?  After all their hard work and the pleasure they give us in the roles the audience should have a chance to thank them and show their appreciation.  There is nothing wrong in my view  in just bringing the four of them out for a curtain call. 

Sim IMO curtain calls part way through disrupt the whole sense  of a narrative ballet, particularly if all take part as I have seen with the Russians. And if it were only just for selected dancers who are not the leads and  won't be there at the end, I think it would look incongruous and  somewhat embarrassing, in highlighting they have no further part to play...sort of " Sorry, we are just off, so can we take a curtain call now, please, before everyone else.......hope you enjoy the last Act"!.....

Such dancers  get their usual deserved applause immediately after their solos or PDDs without too much interruption of the flow of the performance.

• Like 1