Jump to content
Jan McNulty

An interview with Gavin Sutherland, Music Director of ENB

Recommended Posts

Really interesting interview - not surprised he's decided to cut down on the proportion of performances he conducts, it exhausted me just thinking about those long runs.

 

Is it news that ENB will be touring the proscenium arch version of Wheeldon's Cinderella?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Really interesting interview - not surprised he's decided to cut down on the proportion of performances he conducts, it exhausted me just thinking about those long runs.

 

Is it news that ENB will be touring the proscenium arch version of Wheeldon's Cinderella?

 

It is to me. I have a feeling that the lovely Gavin has 'jumped the gun' here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have another thread with an interview with him, don't we?  Can't find it at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing this insightful interview :)I've been wondering what it's like for the conductor and the players, especially as the latter can't 'see' the action on stage.  Sometimes I wonder too, how exactly the mood of the playing affects the dancing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, really interesting interview. Made me understand how crucial the conductor is for ballet, in that the orchestra absolutely have to follow him/her given that they can't see anything for themselves. (Of course orchestras always should follow the conductor! But that doesn't necessarily always happen all the time. And unlike with choral or operatic collaborators, the players can't see the dancers so the conductor is their eyes.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, really interesting interview. Made me understand how crucial the conductor is for ballet, in that the orchestra absolutely have to follow him/her given that they can't see anything for themselves. (Of course orchestras always should follow the conductor! But that doesn't necessarily always happen all the time. And unlike with choral or operatic collaborators, the players can't see the dancers so the conductor is their eyes.)

 

Indeed. I was at the penultimate performance of the RB mixed bill last week, and there was one unfortunate moment during The Concert (the beginning of the number with the line-up of men in uniform - is it a Mazurka?) when half the orchestra got about half a beat out for a few bars.  I didn't notice anything wrong with the dancing so presumably whatever it was about the conducting that had distracted some of the orchestra was not visible from the stage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RuthE said:

 

Indeed. I was at the penultimate performance of the RB mixed bill last week, and there was one unfortunate moment during The Concert (the beginning of the number with the line-up of men in uniform - is it a Mazurka?) when half the orchestra got about half a beat out for a few bars.  I didn't notice anything wrong with the dancing so presumably whatever it was about the conducting that had distracted some of the orchestra was not visible from the stage!

 

The brass weren't watching the conductor...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

 

The brass weren't watching the conductor...

 

:(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

 

The brass weren't watching the conductor...

 

It’s a long break between Les Pats and The Concert...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

 

The brass weren't watching the conductor...

 

Good job the dancers were!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

 

It’s a long break between Les Pats and The Concert...

 

Even longer if your a brass player and spend most of every performance away from the pit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×