An interview with Gavin Sutherland, Music Director of ENB

Really interesting interview - not surprised he's decided to cut down on the proportion of performances he conducts, it exhausted me just thinking about those long runs.

Is it news that ENB will be touring the proscenium arch version of Wheeldon's Cinderella?

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Really interesting interview - not surprised he's decided to cut down on the proportion of performances he conducts, it exhausted me just thinking about those long runs.

Is it news that ENB will be touring the proscenium arch version of Wheeldon's Cinderella?

It is to me. I have a feeling that the lovely Gavin has 'jumped the gun' here.

Thank you for sharing this insightful interview :)I've been wondering what it's like for the conductor and the players, especially as the latter can't 'see' the action on stage.  Sometimes I wonder too, how exactly the mood of the playing affects the dancing!

• Like 1

Yes, really interesting interview. Made me understand how crucial the conductor is for ballet, in that the orchestra absolutely have to follow him/her given that they can't see anything for themselves. (Of course orchestras always should follow the conductor! But that doesn't necessarily always happen all the time. And unlike with choral or operatic collaborators, the players can't see the dancers so the conductor is their eyes.)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, really interesting interview. Made me understand how crucial the conductor is for ballet, in that the orchestra absolutely have to follow him/her given that they can't see anything for themselves. (Of course orchestras always should follow the conductor! But that doesn't necessarily always happen all the time. And unlike with choral or operatic collaborators, the players can't see the dancers so the conductor is their eyes.)

Indeed. I was at the penultimate performance of the RB mixed bill last week, and there was one unfortunate moment during The Concert (the beginning of the number with the line-up of men in uniform - is it a Mazurka?) when half the orchestra got about half a beat out for a few bars.  I didn't notice anything wrong with the dancing so presumably whatever it was about the conducting that had distracted some of the orchestra was not visible from the stage!

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

Indeed. I was at the penultimate performance of the RB mixed bill last week, and there was one unfortunate moment during The Concert (the beginning of the number with the line-up of men in uniform - is it a Mazurka?) when half the orchestra got about half a beat out for a few bars.  I didn't notice anything wrong with the dancing so presumably whatever it was about the conducting that had distracted some of the orchestra was not visible from the stage!

The brass weren't watching the conductor...

• Like 1