Sign in to follow this  
thewinelake

BBC TV's show - Greatest Dancer - (talent competition)

Posted (edited)

Does anyone remember a 1980s BBC show, the title of which I've forgotten, that was presented as the dance equivalent of the Cardiff Singer of the World competition? I vaguely remember that the programme featured young people performing ballet and contemporary dance, but I can't remember if it was a series or a one-off.

As for Cheryl Cole, it's worth bearing in mind that anyone can edit a Wikipedia article...

Edited by Alice Shortcake
Added a bit

Was it the Eurovision young dancer or similar competition?  (Actually, that's probably not long enough ago.  I remember one which featured Jamie Bond and what now I suspect was the Bubenicek twins, but that can't have been that long ago).

On 08/01/2019 at 15:20, Sim said:

Definitely good enough to get her straight into the Royal Ballet....

or the nearest chippy (according to the voiceover)

• Like 3

That video of her dancing is quite sweet really but you can see she is just one of many little girls about that age who do ballet who could dance as well as that ....she doesn't have a particular talent for it that stands out. 

Perhaps she is so proud of the fact that she did get to this RBS summer school that it has stayed with her and she can't help remembering it!!

The problem is that many people today to be honest use the word "ballerina" where I would use the word "dancer" 

Ballerina ...to me at any rate...should be reserved for a really top notch Principal in a Company who has shown the depth of their dancing in many performances. Just to give one example somebody like Nunez. 

Even some Dance teachers use the term ballerina in a bit of a loose way for me! So perhaps you can't blame her so much in the end for using this term to refer to herself as a dancer......she's certainly not the only one misusing the word! 

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

....she's certainly not the only one misusing the word! 

No, but then she's the only one who is a judge dance captain on a prime-time television dance competition!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, loveclassics said:

or the nearest chippy (according to the voiceover)

I actually think that voiceover is very mean. Is it supposed to pass for wit?

• Like 2

I agree. It made him look really stupid and detracted from the dancing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fiz said:

I agree. It made him look really stupid and detracted from the dancing.

Not hard, considering how little there was of it. There was an awful lot of dross inbetween each act.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sim said:

I actually think that voiceover is very mean. Is it supposed to pass for wit?

I didn't understand the voiceover at all.  What point was he making?

I have no idea, Penelope.  But this was a little girl who was proud of herself, trying to do her best, and there is a fully-grown man talking nonsense over her whole performance.  Pitiful.  

• Like 3

Cheryl was on the BBC1 ‘One Show’ tonight and once again claimed to of been ‘in the Royal Ballet’! Unbelievable! Somebody should enlighten her!  

• Like 4

Oh dear! 

Royal Ballet School is one thing but claiming to be in the Company is on a different level....I didn't realise she had claimed to be in the Company ...just to have been a ballerina after having been to the RBS! 

• Like 1

That's appalling.  Time the RB responded, maybe?  I mean, if she was, it must have been over 30 years ago, because I'm sure I'd pretty much recognise the names of all the company members since then :) 

• Like 2

Ha ha they probably won't care....this is giving them a lot more publicity than the press or their marketing department could ever achieve....and all at no cost to them!  :)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

She is in the Daily Mail today claiming she left because 'she didn't want to spend her life eating salad.'

What can I say?

I'd say that I rarely pay attention to anything that rag prints.

• Like 3

On 21/01/2019 at 19:57, taxi4ballet said:

I'd say that I rarely pay attention to anything that rag prints.

Yeah, like campaigning to get Stephen Lawrence’s killers convicted, or allowing theGhurkas’s toclaim citizenship or their work to outlaw plastic.

Like most newspapers,it is a mixture of good and bad.  Just because a product is mass market, it doesn’t mean it, and it’s readers, should be despised as part of the virtue signalling bandwagon.  

• Like 3

On 17/01/2019 at 22:48, alison said:

That's appalling.  Time the RB responded, maybe?  I mean, if she was, it must have been over 30 years ago, because I'm sure I'd pretty much recognise the names of all the company members since then :) 

Then she must have been in the kindergarten corps de ballet!

14 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Yeah, like campaigning to get Stephen Lawrence’s killers convicted, or allowing theGhurkas’s toclaim citizenship or their work to outlaw plastic.

Like most newspapers,it is a mixture of good and bad.  Just because a product is mass market, it doesn’t mean it, and it’s readers, should be despised as part of the virtue signalling bandwagon.  

I have a friend in the public eye who has suffered at the hands of the press, which is why I hold that opinion.

I have also experienced bad treatment at their hands thanks to a medical article I was involved in. I despise the publication.

I don't think the Daily Mail is the only paper that does that.  I was involved in a research project that got cancelled thanks to stuff that was printed in the Times.  

My drama group was banned from the church hall thanks to an ludicrously erroneous article in the local paper! The News of the World (remember them?) read the story and rang the vicar to ask for details...

• Like 2

Is anyone still actually watching the programme? ;) 

• Like 2

Nope! Anything Simon Cowell is involved with is dross, imho.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Two pigeons

Well at least there are two lucky pigeons who get to watch real dance at the ROH!  

• Like 1

OT (but relevant I think in light of some comments above)

Don’t trust Daily Mail website, Microsoft browser warns users Naturally the Daily Mail aren't happy saying “We have only very recently become aware of the NewsGuard startup and are in discussions with them to have this egregiously erroneous classification resolved as soon as possible.”  I think they must have gotten the dictionary down from the shelf to write that.

Here's what people have been saying about it. https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/01/23/microsoft-classified-daily-mail-fake-news-people-love/   (Language warning)

I like the comment "Apparently, it is graded as 1 out of 5, the same as the Kremlin's site. Pretty unfair on the Kremlin if you ask me. "

• Like 2

OK folks....am locking this thread now.  I don't think there's anything left to say about the awful BBC programme, and we have veered off course anyway.  Thanks to all for your input.

• Like 4