BBC TV's show - Greatest Dancer - (talent competition)

19 hours ago, capybara said:

I don't want to appear rude, but why are we bothering with this? CVs get adjusted or amplified to suit the circumstances all the time.

Because it’s untrue, misleading and it seems to have fooled an awful lot of “Cheryl” fans.  IMO this isn’t a simple case of CV adjustment or amplification.  To say “...then I was a ballerina and went to The Royal Ballet” is simply untrue and extremely insulting to professional ballet dancers.  

If you watch the interview episode of The Apprentice you’ll see what a dim view is (quite rightly) taken of candidates lying on their CVs. 

• Like 9

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Anna C said:

To say “...then I was a ballerina and went to The Royal Ballet” is simply untrue and extremely insulting to professional ballet dancers.  

Apologies.

I didn't know she'd gone so far as actually saying that. 

• Like 3

There are numerous references to Cheryl Cole attending The Royal Ballet School in newspaper articles and on-line.  Most will be from the same original source so unless anyone corrects it the same misinformation will continue to circulate.  I recall a post a few years back where we “discussed” her RBS credentials so looks like nothing has been corrected and even a cursory Google search can see that the misinformation isn’t even consistent. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It seems that they are just calling her 'Cheryl' now.  She has had so many  surnames that everyone has lost count.  So now she can really join the greats:  Nureyev.  Fonteyn.  Baryshnikov.  Plisetskaya.  Cheryl.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

From 1 min 25, here she is “en pointe”, complete with ribbons tied *in bows at the back* 😳:  

She can’t sing and although the clip of her as a young dancer was okay, she’s no ballerina. I wish she would realise her moment in the sun has passed and go away. The trouble is, as the dance clip showed, she was always about being “famous” rather than gifted.

• Like 3

I have found this thread very amusing, and some of the comments have made me laugh out loud.  It has brightened up the end of a dull work day, that's for sure.

I hate all these shows where the audience gets to vote on anything.  I think they should rename this programme  "Best looking contestant who can dance a bit."  Because ultimately it seems to be all about physical appearance.  I watched a bit of it, and I noticed the male dance group only started getting audience votes when one of them took his shirt off to show his (admittedly fairly impressive) muscular torso. 

I remember getting quite angry a few years ago when they did something about Britain's Best Choir.  As decided by viewers' votes.  So a wonderful all male Welsh choir was deemed not as good as a group of young, attractive ladies clad in very short skirts, who sang moderately well while gyrating their hips.  Yep, swaying hips are very important when it comes to sounding good.  🤦‍♀️

Instead of this load of old tosh, I wish one of the freeview channels would show Ballet Hoo again.  A programme that showed how ballet can have a profound influence on disadvantaged young people.  Sad that no further programmes along the same lines have been done.  At least as far as I know.   Maybe a repeat might advance some money for a new programme of this nature?

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Instead of this load of old tosh, I wish one of the freeview channels would show Ballet Hoo again.  A programme that showed how ballet can have a profound influence on disadvantaged young people.  Sad that no further programmes along the same lines have been done.  At least as far as I know.   Maybe a repeat might advance some money for a new programme of this nature?

I’m not sure if you saw the programme Fonty but Darcey Bussell’s ‘Dancing to Happiness’ really was wonderful, shown I think in early December.  No longer on iPlayer but I’m sure will be repeated.  It showed how dance can help those with dementia and Parkinson's, the old and lonely, and young people struggling with mental illnesses.  A remarkable tribute to dance and its health and life enhancing powers and those gifted facilitators who use dance so effectively to help people discover themselves, their memories and hidden strengths.   Excellent programmes are still being made.

• Like 8

The acid humour on this thread is like a guilty pleasure! Sorry to be dull but to balance the argument - when the male ballet dancer didn't 'get through' all the judges including Cheryl expressed their strong disagreement with the audience. However, I do agree there was something quite cheap/superficial/crass about the programme (worse than other recent TV talent shows)

Also when reading this thread I'll have to be dull again and argue the other side that, like JohnS says above, there are good programmes being made. I thought Tamara Rojo docs (Good Swan, Bad Swan and Giselle: Belle of the Ballet) weren't bad,  and Darcey Bussell 'Ballet Heroes' was OK too (gave at least a bit of insight into the Bournonville style for example). There was a doc on Sir Peter Wright at 90 in 2016.  Wasn't too keen on the Francesca Hayward's Sugar Plum Fairy documentary (Dancing the Nutcracker). I do admit the documentaries can be a bit 'formulaic' and dumbed-down - with the wearingly modern dull BBC production values applied - superficial visuals, sensationalist or sentimental tone, and 'travelogue'  style (I thought Rojo and Bussell and Hayward did rise a bit above that though.)

Naively I still thought there was a full length ballet on BBC every xmas but after digging around perhaps I am wrong, could only find BRB cinderella 2010 and RB Winter's Tale 2014. Apart from that, it is either Matthew Bourne or a ballet documentary. (But there was Scottish Ballet's Fairy's Kiss on BBC Arts - maybe it wasn't broadcast, internet only?)

And that does lead to the other point, the inevitable effect of the internet. YouTube (and other) channels now provide much access to absolutely wonderful ballet video footage and documentaries, including the Royal Ballet's own channel - than the BBC probably ever did in it's entire history - correct me if I'm wrong! I would agree that the BBC should not simply then 'give up' on it's duty, but let's not give up hope just yet, there's still some good ballet programmes to be found on the BBC (I liked the Dancing to Happiness programme too).

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, northstar said:

I still thought there was a full length ballet on BBC every xmas but after digging around perhaps I am wrong, could only find BRB cinderella 2010 and RB Winter's Tale 2014

Royal Ballet’s Swan Lake this Christmas Day and still on iPlayer for a couple of weeks - a treat in store if you’ve missed it northstar.  There have been quite a few comments about the broadcast on the Swan Lake link.

Thanks JohnS yes of course - I just didn't mention it because I was taking for granted everyone on the forum knew about it. I keep meaning to re-watch it before it vanishes from iPlayer. I wonder when the last time a full length Swan Lake (not Bourne!) was broadcast on BBC?

• Like 1

What was that dance competition they had about 5 years ago? I'm not talking about the one on Sky. That was better. I think they managed 2 series before canning it.

Ah, I see it was "So you think you can dance?". Produced by Simon Fuller. Presumably without Cowell's involvement.

Edited by thewinelake

13 hours ago, JohnS said:

I’m not sure if you saw the programme Fonty but Darcey Bussell’s ‘Dancing to Happiness’ really was wonderful, shown I think in early December.  No longer on iPlayer but I’m sure will be repeated.  It showed how dance can help those with dementia and Parkinson's, the old and lonely, and young people struggling with mental illnesses.  A remarkable tribute to dance and its health and life enhancing powers and those gifted facilitators who use dance so effectively to help people discover themselves, their memories and hidden strengths.   Excellent programmes are still being made.

I didn't see it, John.  I will make sure to keep an eye out for it.  

• Like 1

Does anyone remember a 1980s BBC show, the title of which I've forgotten, that was presented as the dance equivalent of the Cardiff Singer of the World competition? I vaguely remember that the programme featured young people performing ballet and contemporary dance, but I can't remember if it was a series or a one-off.

As for Cheryl Cole, it's worth bearing in mind that anyone can edit a Wikipedia article...

Edited by Alice Shortcake
Added a bit

Was it the Eurovision young dancer or similar competition?  (Actually, that's probably not long enough ago.  I remember one which featured Jamie Bond and what now I suspect was the Bubenicek twins, but that can't have been that long ago).

That video of her dancing is quite sweet really but you can see she is just one of many little girls about that age who do ballet who could dance as well as that ....she doesn't have a particular talent for it that stands out. 

Perhaps she is so proud of the fact that she did get to this RBS summer school that it has stayed with her and she can't help remembering it!!

The problem is that many people today to be honest use the word "ballerina" where I would use the word "dancer" 

Ballerina ...to me at any rate...should be reserved for a really top notch Principal in a Company who has shown the depth of their dancing in many performances. Just to give one example somebody like Nunez. 

Even some Dance teachers use the term ballerina in a bit of a loose way for me! So perhaps you can't blame her so much in the end for using this term to refer to herself as a dancer......she's certainly not the only one misusing the word!