Sign in to follow this  
thewinelake

BBC TV's show - Greatest Dancer - (talent competition)

Posted (edited)

Does anyone remember a 1980s BBC show, the title of which I've forgotten, that was presented as the dance equivalent of the Cardiff Singer of the World competition? I vaguely remember that the programme featured young people performing ballet and contemporary dance, but I can't remember if it was a series or a one-off.

As for Cheryl Cole, it's worth bearing in mind that anyone can edit a Wikipedia article...

Edited by Alice Shortcake
Added a bit

Was it the Eurovision young dancer or similar competition?  (Actually, that's probably not long enough ago.  I remember one which featured Jamie Bond and what now I suspect was the Bubenicek twins, but that can't have been that long ago).

On 08/01/2019 at 15:20, Sim said:

Definitely good enough to get her straight into the Royal Ballet....

or the nearest chippy (according to the voiceover)

• Like 3

That video of her dancing is quite sweet really but you can see she is just one of many little girls about that age who do ballet who could dance as well as that ....she doesn't have a particular talent for it that stands out. 

Perhaps she is so proud of the fact that she did get to this RBS summer school that it has stayed with her and she can't help remembering it!!

The problem is that many people today to be honest use the word "ballerina" where I would use the word "dancer" 

Ballerina ...to me at any rate...should be reserved for a really top notch Principal in a Company who has shown the depth of their dancing in many performances. Just to give one example somebody like Nunez. 

Even some Dance teachers use the term ballerina in a bit of a loose way for me! So perhaps you can't blame her so much in the end for using this term to refer to herself as a dancer......she's certainly not the only one misusing the word! 

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

....she's certainly not the only one misusing the word! 

No, but then she's the only one who is a judge dance captain on a prime-time television dance competition!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, loveclassics said:

or the nearest chippy (according to the voiceover)

I actually think that voiceover is very mean. Is it supposed to pass for wit?

• Like 2

I agree. It made him look really stupid and detracted from the dancing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fiz said:

I agree. It made him look really stupid and detracted from the dancing.

Not hard, considering how little there was of it. There was an awful lot of dross inbetween each act.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sim said:

I actually think that voiceover is very mean. Is it supposed to pass for wit?

I didn't understand the voiceover at all.  What point was he making?

I have no idea, Penelope.  But this was a little girl who was proud of herself, trying to do her best, and there is a fully-grown man talking nonsense over her whole performance.  Pitiful.  

• Like 3

Cheryl was on the BBC1 ‘One Show’ tonight and once again claimed to of been ‘in the Royal Ballet’! Unbelievable! Somebody should enlighten her!  

• Like 4

Oh dear! 

Royal Ballet School is one thing but claiming to be in the Company is on a different level....I didn't realise she had claimed to be in the Company ...just to have been a ballerina after having been to the RBS! 

• Like 1

That's appalling.  Time the RB responded, maybe?  I mean, if she was, it must have been over 30 years ago, because I'm sure I'd pretty much recognise the names of all the company members since then :) 

• Like 2