BBC TV's show - Greatest Dancer - (talent competition)

10 hours ago, FLOSS said:

It is alarming how marginal ballet has become when compared to that other elite art form opera which with live radio relays from the Met and the occasional transmission from the ROH maintains a significant profile with music lovers.

Is that just because the BBC can acceptably broadcast opera on the radio whereas ballet on the radio would be rather more problematic? I don't recall that opera has had significantly more TV outings on the BBC than dance has had over the last few years.

• Like 3

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've danced at the ROH partnered by Brandon Lawrence  🙂

(We were standing next to each other in the Balcony for Yasmine Naghdi's Odette Odile debut and, the gentleman that he is, Brandon answered my query on how was it decided when to release hands for Odile's held arabesque by demonstrating it. Don't think my arabesque was as good as Yasmine's.)

And no, this dance loving BBC pensioner didn't watch it either. I decided from the trailers that it wasn't for me, and wish it'd been called something else. "Dance for 50 Grand" perhaps?

Edited by MargaretN7
Add comment
  • Like 11

Prime time tv on a Saturday night. It was never going to be anything resembling a celebration of an art form whatever the dance form. But it was actually worse than I thought it could be. I managed about 15 minutes but once the classical male dancer had failed to please the baying crowd I could stand it no longer. I was minded of the sequence in the recent Sergei Polunin film when he appears on a Russian talent show. At least there they appreciated the artistry.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, bridiem said:

It begins to sound as if we could form a company. What about The Royal National BalletForum Company? We've all been there after all. 😆🧚‍♂️🧚‍♀️

Well I've sung at the Royal Albert Hall* so do call on me for Song of the Earth, Nutcracker Snowflake Waltz etc.

* As part of a chorus of about 500 school children for one of the last Ernest Read Christmas Concerts for children.

Linda

• Like 5

I've sung an aria at the ROH...

...at the karaoke fundraiser night in the Crush Room in 2010 to raise money for the Haiti earthquake appeal.  (There were loads of singers I recognized there though, and it was terrifying!)

• Like 7

Like Lady Catherine de Bourgh in Pride and Prejudice

'There are few people in England who have more true enjoyment than myself, or a better natural taste. If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.'

• Like 15

1 minute ago, bangorballetboy said:

I've sung Peter Grimes at the ROH...

I see a bit of professional one-upmanship starting here. Let's just acknowledge that we're all stars, and we've all nailed it, and we're all incredibly proud of ourselves and each other, shall we? :D

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, RuthE said:

It's been such an incredible journey to get to this point, bridiem... *sobs and thanks my family members*

oh, and that's another thing guaranteed to make me switch off, is when any contestants 'go on a journey' (especially 'incredible' ones). Unless its a programme about trains or a road trip...

• Like 10

14 hours ago, bridiem said:

It begins to sound as if we could form a company. What about The Royal National BalletForum Company? We've all been there after all. 😆🧚‍♂️🧚‍♀️

Well we could do but I’m expecting to be personally head hunted by Dame Cheryl to become Principal and Head  of Cast Change Slips at her ballet company 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 6

On 06/01/2019 at 09:02, Hambleton said:

And Cheryl was in The Royal Ballet? 😂

I do hope Cheryl Cole's PR team read this, and make Cole aware what a complete and utter fool she has made of herself saying she was at The Royal Ballet :) :) :) . Boy I laughed! A few days at a Summer School HAHAHAHAHA

9 minutes ago, BristolBillyBob said:

So to summarise, we weren't keen then? 😄

From over here in Canada, I am quite keen on this entire thread, and I am now morbidly curious about the programme itself!

Well done, everyone -- you've made my morning.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

oh, and that's another thing guaranteed to make me switch off, is when any contestants 'go on a journey' (especially 'incredible' ones). Unless its a programme about trains or a road trip...

I went on a journey. And in the company of a RB principal. I tripped daintily down the back stairs at the ROH pursued by Matthew Golding after my daughter and I had earlier been shown to the royal box as late arrivals.

• Like 4

Pas de Quatre if only it was just "passion" that is all it requires to be a ballerina .....or reach the top in almost anything else as well. 

It it did occur to me that I think as these judges have to mentor the chosen ones that the young ballet dancer was just too hot for Cheryl to handle.....what could she have taught him? 

Edited by LinMM

10 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Pas de Quatre if only it was just "passion" that is all it requires to be a ballerina .....or reach the top in almost anything else as well. 

It it did occur to me that I think as these judges have to mentor the chosen ones that the young ballet dancer was just too hot for Cheryl to handle.....what could she have taught him? 

Clearly loads....the RB is one of the world’s great companies, and since she was an RB member she must have tons of knowledge and experience to share...🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

Would love to have been a fly on the wall if he had gone through.

I did see some brief clips of what looked like an older lady doing some plies.....perhaps she will get through? I wonder what her back story will be ......that she would have been a ballerina if only her parents had let her attend classes? I can see it coming.... Except that I won't be.

• Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:11, Kate_N said:

And I was also somewhat startled by the "Cheryl in the Royal Ballet" comment: I looked her up on Wikipedia, and she attended a RBS summer school at age 9. Not a mean feat, according to the difficulties discussed in "Doing Dance" of being accepted.

I read that Wikipedia entry and it says she "joined" the RBS Summer School at the age of nine.  The implication in the wording being that this was an ongoing form of vocational training, rather than being a one-off intensive that has to be applied for anew every year.  I wonder who wrote it?!

She does have a dance background (which I already knew) but no vocational training is mentioned in her Wikipedia bio, which presumably it would be if she'd had it.  So I'm assuming she took loads of classes throughout her childhood at her local multi-discipline dance school, which certainly makes you a dancer - but it doesn't make you a ballerina, and it certainly doesn't give you a professional connection with the Royal Ballet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

I do hope Cheryl Cole's PR team read this, and make Cole aware what a complete and utter fool she has made of herself saying she was at The Royal Ballet :) :) :) . Boy I laughed! A few days at a Summer School HAHAHAHAHA

Trouble is her kind of remarks are misleading to the general public  - she only went to one RBS Summer school as a child and decided that it wasn’t for her and she that she ‘didn’t like the people’ (??!) - but now it’s ok for her to say (not very truthfully) that she was ‘at the RB’ though! Oh dear Oh dear 🙈!

• Like 5