Sign in to follow this  
Buddy

XVIII Mariinsky International Ballet Festival 2019

15 minutes ago, Buddy said:

XVIII Mariinsky International Ballet Festival 2019

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/festivals/fest2018_2019/

Second to this in order of universal significance will be Olga Smirnova‚Äôs debut as Giselle. ¬†¬†ūüėä

Smirnova’s debut in the Mariinsky production of Giselle, perhaps, but certainly not in the role! She’s danced it in Moscow a few times and, if memory serves, in Vienna once or twice.

27 minutes ago, now voyager said:

Smirnova’s debut in the Mariinsky production of Giselle, perhaps, but certainly not in the role! She’s danced it in Moscow a few times and, if memory serves, in Vienna once or twice.

Thanks, Now Voyager. Apparently you are quite correct. According to the Bolshoi site she debuted this in 2017. Still, it's something that I greatly look forward to seeing.

I forgot to mention another debut from London.  Natalia Osipova  (with Vladimir Shkylarov) in Don Quixote.

Who's going to catch me at this¬†one? ¬† ūüôā¬†¬†

• Like 1

Seats are now available. This is probably the best place to get them. Usually there's no rush.

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/festivals/fest2018_2019/ballet_fest_236

Because the ruble is down, these are the best prices that I've seen. Also, being offseason, hotel prices can be very reasonable. This might be a nice chance for those who've never been to the Festival, or to Russia, to plan a visit.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I try never to say anything that isn't true, even as a joke, which my above comment about Natalia Osipova was. I know that this would be obvious to anyone who is familiar with her, but there are folks who aren't, so this is a clarification.

She's probably one of the best Kitris (the heroine from Don Quixote) ever !  I saw some of her first performances with Ivan Vasiliev and they were outstanding. She sailed unbelievably through the air. They both did. As another joke I referred to the Bolshoi as "The Osipova" during one of these performances. At that time she was the epitome of what I thought that the Bolshoi should be. 

This was around ten years ago. To maintain that kind of physicality would be quite a feat and I have seen her do some rather impressive things recently. 

Ballet dancers usually develop their artistry. This is certainly the case with Natalia Osipova. Not only does she radiate, probably more than ever, but she can also accomplish great depth. I definitely look forward to her Kitri at this year's Festival and whatever else she might perform. These Festivals are where I've seen artists really try their best.

Edited by Buddy
grammar corrections
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The first person that I ever heard use the expression ""A Force of Nature" was  a member of Balletco in regard to Natalia Osipova. It's now  commonly used on the ballet internet. Does anyone remember who this was ?

And....

I saw two exceptional performances of her Don Quixote years ago in Washington DC when apparently she had a fever.

Edited by Buddy
"And" added

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Geoff said:

No chance this might be streamed internationally, I suppose?

It's possible. Mostly it's Galas along with special and new works, if I recall correctly. She might perform at the final night Gala. Marguerite and Armand is a possibility.

Edited by Buddy

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

No chance this might be streamed internationally, I suppose?

7 hours ago, Buddy said:

It's possible. Mostly it's Galas along with special and new works, if I recall correctly. She might perform at the final night Gala. Marguerite and Armand is a possibility.

I was just asking about the Festival in general terms. Sometimes shows are streamed,, sometimes not, and perhaps someone knows if there are any plans. It would be good to be forewarned.