Tring dance auditions/results 2019

Ms Sunshine

Cotswoldmum - we heard (and found in our experience) that you're less likely to get an offer from Tring the later you audition (or after Xmas).

DD auditioned for dance so may be different. It seemed that exceptional candidates were made offers at any time and invited for funding auditions. For everyone else (including us!) places were filled in chronological order of auditioning.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks SarahW. I think straight dance entry must be slightly different as the only auditions for Year 10 (PF) were after Christmas. No doubt there are many factors involved.

Happy to say she is finally beginning to see that WL is an achievement...though I think we will go through it all again if its a no in the end!

I did just spot that Tring was pulled up by Ofsted in december...something to do with boarding and well being...anyone know/heard anything about this?!

I remember one rather far-sighted comment

" Also if Ofsted did get to hear about some of the things that went on, I think that there would be some serious come back. Like it has been pointed out we do tend to be careful where we pick our battles, however you learn very quickly that it will go against you. "

It shoudl be noted however that OFSTED only inspect the 6th Form Dance course and boarding accommodation.  ISI are responsible for inspecting Lower School.

• Like 2

I’ve moved discussion of Rachel Rist’s retirement to a separate thread here:  

Also, could we keep this thread on the topic of auditions and audition results please - purely because it makes information easier to find in future.  

If anyone wishes to discuss the ISI report further we can start a separate thread (bearing in mind that as always, posts must comply with Forum rules).

Many thanks! 

Anna 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late to proceedings but have a 13 year old (year 8 ) DS who I think maybe would be suited to a vocational training school. The only audition he has done was 2 years ago when he got a call back for WL finals but didn't make the cut and only got waiting list for MA's. IMO the right decision as it's not a ballet dancer he currently aspires to be, although he could yet be inspired by the right teacher. He enjoys acting and loves dancing in various genres and wondered if Tring might be worth a look. Any insight, suggestions, advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated, also are we too late for Sep '19 entry (year 9)? My fault, I really should have got him onto an associate course or a holiday intensive but wasn't sure it was what he really wanted as loves his football and boxing too. Please help?!

• Like 1

Tring have a fabulous reputation with successful boys training and have a long list of  male performers gaining professional contracts.

Its a good ‘all round training’  with boys going to into classical as well as MT. You would need to choose between the dancers course or MT course. Easy to swap to MT from dancers but not the other way about. 

Think you’ve missed the boat for this year, but why not phone and tell them your circumstances and your DS’s dance history?

You never know.

You may also want to have a look at The Hammond - also many boys going on to prestigious schools and getting ballet contracts, but also all rounders off to a variety of destinations.  Very good academics too.  For both schools it would depend if you needed an MDS as to whether you had "missed the boat"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

You may also want to have a look at The Hammond - also many boys going on to prestigious schools and getting ballet contracts, but also all rounders off to a variety of destinations.  Very good academics too.  For both schools it would depend if you needed an MDS as to whether you had "missed the boat"

There is a last Lower School audition at Hammond on 5th March.  MDS recalls are 20th March  so there is time (just)

• Like 1

Hi all,

Eeek, my dd has her Tring Audition tomorrow. I believe it's the last one. I'm more nervous than her, she has NEVER auditioned for anything and seems to be taking it all in her stride. It's for the year 7 entry.....I'm worried that it being the last one they may have got enough students to go through to the scholarship round and may miss out. But I'm totally speculating here. 

Any last minute tips you can give us and I'll slip them to my daughter without her realising.  She's so calm about it!!

Let her enjoy it and stay calm!  If you can both stay calm so much the better.    One of the hardest things to do as a parent is to not interfere or fret.  Once she has disappeared my personal strategy was to get away from the place, it seemed everyone else auditioning had more experience than my child (I was once sat next to 2 parents out billying each other - both had sons in the cast and were trying to outdo each other on length of contract, number of performances, expenses ...) and it just added to my stress to listen.

Double check music for solos as well as shoes.

Leave enough time to allow for traffic - as a Midlander I am always gobsmacked by how many traffic jams I had to sit in.

If they like what they see, they will always put students through to the scholarship round.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

Let her enjoy it and stay calm!  If you can both stay calm so much the better.    One of the hardest things to do as a parent is to not interfere or fret.  Once she has disappeared my personal strategy was to get away from the place, it seemed everyone else auditioning had more experience than my child (I was once sat next to 2 parents out billying each other - both had sons in the cast and were trying to outdo each other on length of contract, number of performances, expenses ...) and it just added to my stress to listen.

Leave enough time to allow for traffic - as a Midlander I am always gobsmacked by how many traffic jams I had to sit in.

If they like what they see, they will always put students through to the scholarship round.  

Thanks Meadowblythe. X

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2019 at 18:59, meadowblythe said:

They obviously didn't like what they saw as she didn't make the scholarship audition. Don't know whether it was inexperience on our part. She prepared her own solo, rather than a set dance that the other girls and boys did that they'd more than likely performed in comps/shows etc.....

I was super gutted, but she's fine. I just would have liked a little more explanation other than competition is tough and there's a high demand for places. We would have required a full scholarship and boarding place. X

2 hours ago, Shellbell12 said:

Don't know whether it was inexperience on our part. She prepared her own solo, rather than a set dance that the other girls and boys did that they'd more than likely performed in comps/shows etc.....

From what I could gather there is a mixture of solos with some choreographing their own dance (which we did too), some festival pieces and some teacher created dances.  

Exactly what they are looking for is difficult to know, so don't take it too much to heart. 

My daughter has been invited back for the scholarship audition this Monday. Does anyone know the format of the day? Does anyone talk to us? Do we get a chance to ask questions etc?

My husband hasn’t yet seen the school, is there another chance to look around? 

I understand the kids have a ballet class and physio assessment.

If anyone has been through the process it would be great to hear!

If your husband has not seen round the school and you have questions to ask then you maybe should call the secretary and ask if they can accommodate you in that request. From experience, there was a ballet class straight off ( parents could leave) and then a small talk( 5 mins)about how many scholarships the school had to offer. Some people were then asked to go to physio and others could leave. Hope that helps.

Valentina that’s really useful thank you! 

Im guessing if they keep you for physio then it probably means they are interested but if sent away then it probably means unsuccessful with scholarship? 

I will call the school. Thank you for your advice 

Try not to read too much into whether seeing physio or not seeing physio means anything....

Some years back DD got funding audition despite not being asked to see physio... just as some at WL who didn’t get asked to stay for longer at finals were offered places....we parents look for ‘signs’ when actually we can just focus on asking the Q’s you want to ask & encourage your DC to enjoy the experience & view it as an opportunity to perform & enjoy lovely studios, a new teacher, live piano playing & a chance to dance with like minded individuals & maybe even make friends! Whatever the outcome, each of these experiences add to building confidence, resilience & determination - great life skills for all time! Good luck! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 4