2019/20 season wish list

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

My RB season 19/20 would be;

Ashton’s Cinderella, Ondine (tribute to Fonteyn) and as part of a triple bill, La Valse,

Coppelia,

Would love to see Le Tricorne (Massine) again - one can live in hope!

As has been mentioned previously, Enigma Variations - I’m sure with the current level of talent within the RB and choice of casts that this would offer, it would be absolutely amazing.

I always loved Daphnis and Chloe and surely it’s about time the RB revived it?

Other ballets - Monotones 1 and 2, Dances at a Gathering, Façade, Checkmate.

Although I like La Valse, it has come around rather often in the past 30 years, although only once since KOH has been director. It's about time we saw some other Ashton rather than the usual one-act suspects, which in my book are: Marguerite and Armand, A Month in the Country, The Dream and La Valse.

But, I love all your other suggestions Springbourne3, and like you, I think that the company is possibly more strongly placed than in recent times to make a good go of Enigma. Am I right in thinking that only two dancers have ever taken on the role of Elgar himself at Covent Garden? They are Derek Rencher, the role's originator, and Christopher Saunders. May I suggest a third? - Nehemiah Kish

Well, Mr Watson is at the NPG on 11 January..maybe he will say something about how he is. I do hope he is on the mend.

He is billed rather interestingly I thought as 'the only British Principal at the RB currently performing'.

A bit odd as, although Matthew Ball is of course away from RB  at present, Ed has not himself performed for a while, sadly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Darlex said:
14 hours ago, Darlex said:

Although I like La Valse, it has come around rather often in the past 30 years, although only once since KOH has been director. It's about time we saw some other Ashton rather than the usual one-act suspects, which in my book are: Marguerite and Armand, A Month in the Country, The Dream and La Valse.

But, I love all your other suggestions Springbourne3, and like you, I think that the company is possibly more strongly placed than in recent times to make a good go of Enigma. Am I right in thinking that only two dancers have ever taken on the role of Elgar himself at Covent Garden? They are Derek Rencher, the role's originator, and Christopher Saunders. May I suggest a third? - Nehemiah Kish

Thanks for your reply Darlex - Yes, only Derek Rencher (whom I saw perform this role) and Saunders (who I haven’t seen).  I think N Kish would be very well suited to the role of Elgar - an excellent suggestion 😊. M Nunez as Lady Elgar perhaps? Or C Calvert?  I see James Hay as Troyte.

• Like 3

Wow!  I remember Dowell saying that he couldn't walk the next day after he danced that role. Would any of the men today take it that fast, I wonder? 

The last time I saw Enigma, I thought it was very disappointing.  It seemed to lack life, and came across as a bit staid and dull. 

• Like 3

That makes me feel so nostalgic! Enigma Variations was the first ballet I ever saw (in October 1977), and Dowell was Troyte, and (exceptionally!) I was sitting in the stalls circle very near the stage. So I saw Dowell close-up in this solo. Not bad for a balletic initiation!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

Thanks for your reply Darlex - Yes, only Derek Rencher (whom I saw perform this role) and Saunders (who I haven’t seen).  I think N Kish would be very well suited to the role of Elgar - an excellent suggestion 😊. M Nunez as Lady Elgar perhaps? Or C Calvert?  I see James Hay as Troyte.

A pleasure. and thank you for yours.

I thought Christina Arestis made a rather moving and most elegant Lady Elgar last time around, and I would like to see her in the role again. 

Claire Calvert danced Isobel Fitton last time. I don't know if it was the right role for her, but then it must be difficult to feel totally at home in a role when you only have 2 or 3 shows and no further opportunities to perform it. 

You're right: James Hay could be a fantastic Troyte..

2 hours ago, Mary said:

Sorry Jane S my careless mistake to leave out 'male'.

But it's still wrong, surely? At the risk of sounding pedantic.....................

Edward Watson has not been on the ROH stage for over a year, alas, with, as PenelopeSimpson points out, no official news of his  problems or future plans and no current mentions in forward casting. Matthew Ball was there a couple of months ago and is merely on temporary leave with several RB performances, including a cinema broadcast, scheduled.

I guess that some PR people got too accustomed to Ed being, indeed, the only male British Principal......................

• Like 1

interesting to read the various comments on what we would like to see. I suspect the main problem is that a number of performances have to be more or less guaranteed to.put bums on seats, hence numerous Nutcrackers and Swan Lakes. I am sure that the costs involved in mounting some of the earlier Ashton and Macmillan works would be pretty high and unlikely to appeal to a general public. We've seen how works like Manon and Fille can be difficult to sell; think what would happen to Les Rendezvous, or Scenes de Ballet. I suppose the current lower prices for triple bills encourages people to attend, although I think tickets for these are still offered as 'specials'  in Time Out etc. But selling unknown ballets to the wider public is difficult, and we can't blame KOH for trying to steer a safe course. And all this is before the needs of his dancers is taken into accout!

Just been torturing myself by looking as Sarasota Ballets programme; so many great things to see. However, they are also performing Enigma Variations (as part of a triple with Patineurs and Diamonds) and says it is 50 years since it was first performed. Do you think this might give Kevin ideas for autumn? They are also premiering Ashton's Varii Capricci which sounds intriguing and his Apparitions. Lucky Sarasota!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Just been torturing myself by looking as Sarasota Ballets programme; so many great things to see. However, they are also performing Enigma Variations (as part of a triple with Patineurs and Diamonds) and says it is 50 years since it was first performed. Do you think this might give Kevin ideas for autumn? They are also premiering Ashton's Varii Capricci which sounds intriguing and his Apparitions. Lucky Sarasota!

If Kevin programmed Enigma for autumn 2019, we would be celebrating it's 51st anniversary - still, the sooner the better.

4 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

interesting to read the various comments on what we would like to see. I suspect the main problem is that a number of performances have to be more or less guaranteed to.put bums on seats, hence numerous Nutcrackers and Swan Lakes. I am sure that the costs involved in mounting some of the earlier Ashton and Macmillan works would be pretty high and unlikely to appeal to a general public. We've seen how works like Manon and Fille can be difficult to sell; think what would happen to Les Rendezvous, or Scenes de Ballet. I suppose the current lower prices for triple bills encourages people to attend, although I think tickets for these are still offered as 'specials'  in Time Out etc. But selling unknown ballets to the wider public is difficult, and we can't blame KOH for trying to steer a safe course. And all this is before the needs of his dancers is taken into accout!

But, I think I am right in saying that the all Ashton mixed/triple bills he has programmed were sold out. 

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

That makes me feel so nostalgic! Enigma Variations was the first ballet I ever saw (in October 1977), and Dowell was Troyte, and (exceptionally!) I was sitting in the stalls circle very near the stage. So I saw Dowell close-up in this solo. Not bad for a balletic initiation!

Now that's a wonderful memory....

• Like 2

Since just about all of us have put Onegin on our wish list, I thought I would share this with you to help fill the gap.  It’s a recent and wonderful performance from Stuttgart Ballet, with the superlative cast of Vogel/Amatriain/Moore/Badenes/Reilly/Haydee.  It is beautifully filmed, and I love the way they let us enjoy all the curtain calls at the end without rushing the credits over them. I also love the emotional tributes to Marcia Haydee.  

You have until 28 January to enjoy it.  

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/080523-000-A/oneguine/

• Like 8

Another vote for Onegin here; I’ve only seen it once and my Russian-studying daughter has never seen the RB production.  

Yes also to Sleeping Beauty, Fille, Coppelia, Song of the Earth, Serenade and Dances at a gathering.  I’d also love Les Patineurs back at Christmas, ideally performed with Jewels. 

• Like 2

I'd like to see Symphonic Variations, with the following cast:

Yasmine Naghdi, Francesca Hayward, Akane Takada

Vadim Muntagirov, James Hay, William Bracewell.

If I won the Euromillions, I'd pay a lot to see this combo put in place! 🙂

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Since just about all of us have put Onegin on our wish list, I thought I would share this with you to help fill the gap.  It’s a recent and wonderful performance from Stuttgart Ballet, with the superlative cast of Vogel/Amatriain/Moore/Badenes/Reilly/Haydee.  It is beautifully filmed, and I love the way they let us enjoy all the curtain calls at the end without rushing the credits over them. I also love the emotional tributes to Marcia Haydee.  

You have until 28 January to enjoy it.  

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/080523-000-A/oneguine/

Thank you So much for this Sim!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I'd like to see Symphonic Variations, with the following cast:

Yasmine Naghdi, Francesca Hayward, Akane Takada

Vadim Muntagirov, James Hay, William Bracewell.

If I won the Euromillions, I'd pay a lot to see this combo put in place! 🙂

YESSSSSSSSSSSS, zxDaveM and, actually, variations of that combo would suit nicely for some other works as well - plus Matthew Ball in the mix too, I think.

• Like 4