2019/20 season wish list

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

This could prove something of an inconvenience, given that I renew my Friends membership (i.e. decide which level to renew at) only once I have seen the contents of next season.  I may have to tell them not to renew it automatically so I still have that choice.

Ruth just bear in mind that if you don't renew the Friends Membership when it is due, but later, the starting date will be put back to when it would have renewed, and not the date you take it out afresh.  

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Richard LH said:

Ruth just bear in mind that if you don't renew the Membership when it is due, but later, the starting date will be put back to when it would have renewed, and not the date you take it out afresh.  

I'm aware of that, having done similar in the past.  However, ultimately it's immaterial as long as it covers four booking periods.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

A recent Friends email said that brochures would be sent out in May

Yes, the message was " We look forward to sharing details of our 2019/20 Season productions with you when they are released. You will receive this information in your annual Season Guide which will be sent alongside the next issue of your magazine in May".

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the announcement is closer I have been thinking about this and came up with this ...Wonder how much will come true?  Time will tell.

Onegin (or it will be out of the rep), Swan Lake, (possibly Sleeping Beauty), a newly designed Ashton Cinderella, New full length – Christopher Wheeldon with Talbot; New full length McGregor – having started in part during ’19 LA tour, Alice, Wind, Scarlett’s Symphonic Dances; (please not Multiverse), Symphonic Variations (should be on every season methinks), Lilac Garden – would also love to see them do something like Lifar’s Suite en Blanc ... and possibly a new one act from Cathy Marston to help celebrate diversity.  Obviously there MUST be some MacMillan – Perhaps drawn from such as Las Hermanas, Right of Spring, Dances Concertantes, Le Baiser de la Fee, Divertmento, La Fin du Jour, one act Anastasia, etc???

Would like to see some – even one - established major balletic work/s from late 20th or early 21st century by leading choreographers being brought in for the Company (e.g., Ratmansky, Peck, etc.) but don’t think that will happen as – by the Director’s own acknowledgement – it’s not his priority.  Would be nice to see a new (to the Company) Balanchine – [the European debut of Vienna Waltzes would be a feather in their cap] - or certainly a revival (Agon, Stravinsky Violin Concerto, Ballet Imperial, etc.)  Some will have had a VERY long wait. 

• Like 3

I've been wondering whether any of Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Nutcracker (and probably Alice, now you mention it) were going to be shoehorned in to offset the poor takings this spring.  I mean, the market surely can't bear any more Romeo & Juliets on top of the 26 currently scheduled (and I notice the majority of them are still quite a way from being sold out yet).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

I've been wondering whether any of Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Nutcracker (and probably Alice, now you mention it) were going to be shoehorned in to offset the poor takings this spring.  I mean, the market surely can't bear any more Romeo & Juliets on top of the 26 currently scheduled (and I notice the majority of them are still quite a way from being sold out yet).

At this stage I wouldn't  write off the contribution R&J  will be making to this season's takings. There are currently only a few tickets left up to 01 May, and thereafter for most dates  a large proportion of the  more expensive seats  are already "sold".  I recall Don Q was thought  by some at the outset to be selling poorly but in the end it has been a virtual sell out. 

But either way, surely there is no likelihood of R&J being brought back for 2019/20?  

I  would love, though,  to see Swan Lake again and also Sleeping Beauty (having yet to see the RB do it  live), and if that also helps the coffers, all well and good!

No, I'm sure R&J will sell out, no problem - especially given the length of the run.  It's just taking rather longer to do so than I've seen in previous years - although that may well be down to the number of performances, as I think this is higher than anything else I've ever known (except possibly Nutcracker?).  In fact, given the date distribution, I'm almost wondering whether there was perhaps another mixed bill or something originally scheduled which it has replaced - or possibly a few performances of Don Q/Frankenstein.

So, it sounds as though there will be no MacMillan 3-acters next year.

22 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'd much prefer a triple bill of his one-acters (though not the Judas Tree, which should be put to sleep IMO).

I don't want to see My Brother, My Sisters  either - otherwise yes to a MacMillan triple bill or his original Prince of the Pagodas.

Just now, Darlex said:

I don't want to see My Brother, My Sisters  either - otherwise yes to a MacMillan triple bill or his original Prince of the Pagodas.

I couldn’t add My Brother, My Sisters as I haven’t had the likely misfortune of seeing it!

Never seen any of the Prince of the Pagodas versions, but I’d certainly sign up for it.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2019 at 01:02, alison said:

Just been catching up on this thread.  Have the takings been poor, Alison?  Whenever I have checked, the ballet seems to have been sold out.  

Edited by Fonty

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Well, it depends on the context, but he also did Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty.

Weren't  those for the Deutsche Oper?  I imagine they are not likely versions for the RB in the context of their choices for 2019/20.  

8 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Are there any others? 

In the context of full-length ballets, don't forget Isadora (though in view of how dreadful it was, forgetfulness might be the best approach!).

Incidentally, the 1973 Beauty production for the Royal Ballet was by MacMillan and was based on his earlier Berlin production (though not identical).

• Like 3

On 19/03/2019 at 14:09, Darlex said:

I'm with you Darlex. Would LOVE for Prince and the Pagodas to come back! One of my fave scores of all time. 

Apart from that, I'd love to see a MacMillan triple with Rite of Spring, Requiem and Concerto. 

• Like 2

Received this in the friends monthly update email, from memory in previous years I think there has been an announcement online prior to the guide being posted out, but perhaps not this year: 

Details for next Season will be announced in mid-May, when you will receive the 2019/20 season guide alongside your autumn magazine.

• Like 1

That would be very late, over a month later than any major house outside Russia (possibly excepting La Scala, whose season begins in November or December).

We might end up with ROH announcing after ENO, which I can’t remember happening before.

1 hour ago, Riva said:

Received this in the friends monthly update email, from memory in previous years I think there has been an announcement online prior to the guide being posted out, but perhaps not this year: 

Details for next Season will be announced in mid-May, when you will receive the 2019/20 season guide alongside your autumn magazine.

That would be incredibly late, but I wonder whether that's what they actually mean?  I can't imagine there wouldn't be an announcement to the press beforehand.  After all, the lead times for printing the period brochures always used to be a matter of weeks rather than months, so the information would have to be confirmed well in advance.

It's not as if their arts output is important compared with all the exciting new things they're doing - the cafe, the web page re-design, the marketing strategy and so on. We must be reasonable. They have to concentrate on the essentials, not fiddling announcements about operas & ballets and things! 

Edited by David
  • Like 13

14 minutes ago, David said:

It's not as if their arts output is important compared with all the exciting new things they're doing - the cafe, the web page re-design, the marketing strategy and so on. We must be reasonable. They have to concentrate on the essentials, not fiddling announcements about operas & ballets and things! 

Hahahaha!............................................ and especially not information about ballet casting!

[Thank you for "the laugh of the day", David.]

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

That would be very late, over a month later than any major house outside Russia (possibly excepting La Scala, whose season begins in November or December).

We might end up with ROH announcing after ENO, which I can’t remember happening before.

Stuttgart doesn't usually announce its season till June.

12 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

Stuttgart doesn't usually announce its season till June.

They've announced for the opera, though.

Edited to clarify: they've announced the outline of the season but the details will follow in late May.

Edited by Lizbie1

14 hours ago, David said:

Yes, and have you noticed that when you now click onto a performance page it tells you how many items related to that production are available to buy in the shop.