New Year's Honour's List

Nitin Sawhney, composer and collaborator with both Akram Khan and Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui has been awarded the CBE.

Anthony Van Laast, choreographer and dancer has been awarded the CBE.

Farooq Chaudhry, dance producer has been awarded an OBE.

Here's the full list.  If anyone knows of any other individuals in the dance world who have been awarded please post their names in this thread.  Thanks.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/768173/NY19_Queens_List__4_.pdf

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Sharon said:

Many congratulations to Xander Parish on being awarded the OBE on the Queen's New Year's Honour's List.

Really?  Didn't Ed Watson only get an MBE?  I thought we discussed it as being odd at the time.

7 hours ago, alison said:

Really?  Didn't Ed Watson only get an MBE?  I thought we discussed it as being odd at the time.

I imagine the 'uplift' is because Xander Parish is being honoured for his role in Anglo-Russian relations as well as dance.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alison said:

Just because Ed Watson 'only' got an MBE doesn't mean I can't congratulate Xander Parish. I personally believe Lesley Collier should be made a Dame and Lynn Seymour should also be recognised. But should that stop me from being thrilled for Xander Parish?? No it doesn't Alison.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sharon said:

Just because Ed Watson 'only' got an MBE doesn't mean I can't congratulate Xander Parish. I personally believe Lesley Collier should be made a Dame and Lynn Seymour should also be recognised. But should that stop me from being thrilled for Xander Parish?? No it doesn't Alison.

I understood the 'really?' to be in relation to the level of the honour, not the congratulations, though obviously alison can speak for herself. I completely agree with you about Collier and Seymour. And I'm assuming that Bintley will now be in the Birthday Honours.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bridiem said:

I understood the 'really?' to be in relation to the level of the honour, not the congratulations, though obviously alison can speak for herself.

Thank you, Bridie, yes, it was the level of the honour I was surprised about - unless he already had an MBE and I hadn't noticed.  But then, as I think we discussed at the time, I'd guess that Watson's was unusually low, so to speak - I've just found this definition of MBE: "An MBE is an award given by the Queen to an individual for outstanding service to the community or local 'hands on' service. [my italics]"

Anyway, congratulations to all the honorees, if that's a word!  I'm thinking it's about time Lauren Cuthbertson got something too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alison said:

Thank you, Bridie, yes, it was the level of the honour I was surprised about - unless he already had an MBE and I hadn't noticed.  But then, as I think we discussed at the time, I'd guess that Watson's was unusually low, so to speak - I've just found this definition of MBE: "An MBE is an award given by the Queen to an individual for outstanding service to the community or local 'hands on' service. [my italics]"

Anyway, congratulations to all the honorees, if that's a word!  I'm thinking it's about time Lauren Cuthbertson got something too.

Sorry Alison got the wrong end of the stick 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

I'm very happy for those honoured and it's great to see such strong representation from the world of dance.

But this subject is a bit of a minefield as the references to Xander Parish and Edward Watson have already shown and all kinds of, shall we say, 'additional' factors come into play. So maybe it would be best if we didn't suggest 'candidates'?

• Like 1

May I say that I yield to no one in my adoration for Lesley Collier but if you are talking of a ballerina who led her company throughout the UK and and around the world, ballet mistress, coach and assistant director it really should be Dame Marion Tait.

Regrettably it won't be of course because non London based companies seem to figure less than those in the Capital.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

May I say that I yield to no one in my adoration for Lesley Collier but if you are talking of a ballerina who led her company throughout the UK and and around the world, ballet mistress, coach and assistant director it really should be Dame Marion Tait.

I like to think it could be both, not either/or!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

i would agree but there tends to be one knighthood and one damehood(?) a year for dance (if that ).

Yes - well I hope there is scope for strong/obvious candidates to be honoured over the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Just now, ninamargaret said:

At the risk of sounding grumpy it seems to me that 'Arts' is now a synonym for 'Celebrities' or TV personalities. Some exceptions of course, but dance seems particularly ignored, although this year was a little better.

I quite agree with you!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

At the risk of sounding grumpy it seems to me that 'Arts' is now a synonym for 'Celebrities' or TV personalities. Some exceptions of course, but dance seems particularly ignored, although this year was a little better.

The BBC News website’s Entertainment and Arts section (am I misremembering or did it used to be “Arts and Entertainment “?) is particularly depressing on that front.

• Like 3