Demi pointes for auditions at Royal.

Mummy twinkle toes

Most people wear flats as far as I’m aware. The mid- associates auditioning for White Lodge would certainly be wearing flats. Don’t think it would matter one jot though as long as they’re very clean and neat.Just wear the ones she’s most comfortable in and make her feet look nice.

• Like 1

How you present yourself for audition absolutely counts! 

I remember watching RBS summer school classes at white lodge and a girl there had absolutely filthy pointe shoes. She was really told told off about it! I know it’s not an audition, but neatness, clean shoes and immaculate hair are all part of the audition - sorry 😁

• Like 2

I think its a matter that needs to be kept in perspective. I really can't imagine any post audition panel discussions would go like this...

"So, number 23.....what musicality."

"Absolutely. And paired with such strong technique".

"Perfect physique too - great potential".

"Err...guys, guys, hang on a minute....didn't you see her dirty shoes?!"

"Oh yeah, now you come to mention it....So we're all agreed, that's a straight "no" then?".

It wouldn't happen would it? And nor would the most perfectly presented dancer get a place if they didnt have all the necessary attributes.

However, that said, human nature being what it is, people tend to perform better if they feel confident. And knowing that you look the part can certainly boost confidence. Plus, particularly when you get to the age where a dancer is more likely to have got themselves ready rather than have been prepared by a parent or teacher, I can believe that a slap dash appearance might be considered indicative of a slap dash attitude. If two dancers were equal in all other respects, well it could make a difference.

So I think its worth taking care over but not having sleepless nights about.

Mummytwinkletoes - I would let you DD choose whichever type of shoes she will feel most comfortable and confident wearing. I would imagine the majority will opt for flat shoes. I get the impression from my DD and her friends that soft blocks are at best tolerated, but nobody seems to actually enjoy dancing in them!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Sorry Pups mum I think that is exactly what might happen.  Great technique, musicality but poor grooming and presentation would lower the candidate's overall score.  There is so little to choose between the best dancers the panel wants to see an effort made in every way.  

Yup. The problem is that perception matters, that there is a certain amount of subjectivity involved and all you need is one or two people on a panel that are annoyed by sloppy presentation to make the small difference between yes and no.

The Osipova look doesn't work unless you're Osipova … in which case, carry on!

• Like 4

I agree. Canvas flats are easy to wash at 30 degrees.  Old fashioned or not, some Associate schemes still have “grooming/presentation” on the yearly assessment reports. Showing that you have made an effort to look neat and presentable is important.  Nobody wants to dance in uncomfortable brand new shoes but shoes, tights and leotards for audition should be clean, tidy and without ladders/fraying edges/loose hems or threads.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, glissade said:

My daughter will be wearing canvas flats and they will most likely be very far from being neat or clean! I really don't think the peripherals matter at all.

I’m sorry to disagree. Presentation extends way past an audition. Once accepted at a Vocational School immaculate presentation is a daily/lesson prerequisite. Being sent out the studio to correct ones attire/presentation is not unheard of. Start as you mean to go on, as the saying goes. 

• Like 2

Balletbean, feel free to disagree! As I said above, we didn't buy any new shoes and my daughter was comfortable in her usual canvas flats. It didn't stop her from getting a final audition at White Lodge, so I don't think it's necessary to buy new for every audition.

Here’s a copy of clothing requirements for the upcoming RBS auditions for girls. Clean shoes not new shoes are asked for:

Clothing to be worn for the audition class: (below is a guideline, you may also wear your regular dance school uniform)
Female auditioning for entry into School Year7, White Lodge/Mid Associates: simple plain-colour sleeveless leotard (no skirt, frills, lace or multi-straps), waist elastic optional, white/pink socks (no tights), flat ballet shoes with elastics (*elastics please not ribbons as candidates may be asked to briefly take their ballet shoes off in the class). No make-up.
Female auditioning for entry into School Years 8/9, White Lodge/Mid Associates: simple plain-colour sleeveless leotard (no skirt, frills, lace or multi-straps), waist elastic optional, pink ballet tights, flat ballet shoes with elastics. No make-up.
Female auditioning for entry into School Year10 & above, White Lodge/Upper School/Senior & Advanced Associates:
Simple plain-colour sleeveless leotard (not white, no skirt, frills, lace or multi-straps), pink ballet tights, flat ballet shoes or soft blocks, pointe shoes if already working on pointe. n.b. some basic pointe work exercises may be asked for at
a preliminary/associate stage audition. Classes may be mixed-age, so if not working on pointe yet you may do the exercises on demi pointe in flat ballet shoes. Subtle/natural make-up only, if worn (15+ age only please).
Female Hair, all: a simple neat hairstyle, worn off the face if short or groomed in a bun if long.

All dancers: It is not necessary to buy new shoes for the audition but please do ensure your regular shoes are clean
and presentable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glissade said:

Balletbean, feel free to disagree! As I said above, we didn't buy any new shoes and my daughter was comfortable in her usual canvas flats. It didn't stop her from getting a final audition at White Lodge, so I don't think it's necessary to buy new for every audition.

Sorry that you appear to have misread my post. I never mentioned new shoes were required.  I wouldn’t suggest new for any audition and/or exams but certainly clean and in good condition. 

• Like 2

I was going to repeat my earlier post that providing your shoes are clean and neat ( not new!) then it’s really the dancing that takes priority, and it’s common sense to wear the ones that show you off at your best. However, I also think that Newbiemum makes a really good point regarding the fitting in element, especially at Royal, where I remember Mr Powney making a point of looking for students who would fit in easily to the year group they are auditioning for.

Obviously,  the technical/ artistic ability of the student would take priority... but every detail helps. Knowing a student is working comfortably in soft blocks might be an added bonus.

On 13/12/2018 at 23:08, glissade said:

My daughter will be wearing canvas flats and they will most likely be very far from being neat or clean! I really don't think the peripherals matter at all.

Hi glissade,

RBS actually ask in the audition preparatory guidelines, that whilst new shoes are not necessary, clean ones are.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2018 at 15:56, Motomum said:

Hi glissade,

RBS actually ask in the audition preparatory guidelines, that whilst new shoes are not necessary, clean ones are.

Hi Motomum - Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't read the audition guidelines. Good job they obviously looked past them when they gave my daughter a final audition then 🙂