The kindness of strangers.

Lisa O`Brien

Been struggling financially since my son started his Adult Access course in September. While the course is free, and he is also working PT in a supermarket, my inability to hold down a job means that things are tough. However, i'm determined to get him through this course, and he is applying to University for next September. Wants to apply for Liberal Arts with History in Belfast and also a few other courses. So he is still working on his Personal Statements, and wants to be able to write about a few books and DVD's about the second world war he has read and seen. I ordered for him a second hand copy of the Schindler's List DVD off Ebay the other day,( it was cheaper than any copy of the book, so I thought it would be best to buy the cheaper one first] only to have to cancel the order. Found myself with absolutely no money in my account ( or purse), and even though the DVD only cost £1.99 it was £1.99 I simply didn't have. Anyway, the lovely man offered to send us the DVD for free anyway, which was just wonderful of him. I thanked him for his generosity. He has messaged me again tonight. He said he has an old copy of the book the film is based on, Schindler's Ark, and he is going to send my son the book for free as well. It has really lifted my mood tonight. The kindness and generosity of this complete stranger in helping us out has brought a smile to my face that I haven't had in a while. Been worrying also how we are going to get the four thousand pounds tuition fees together for September, as he has already used up 2 years of his Higher Education funding, and will have to pay the first year of Uni tuition fees himself. Then I remembered when his father died back in 2007. He had some money; not much, which his mother inherited, as she was his next of kin. I know she put this money into an account for our son. Remembered it a few weeks ago. His grandmother has died too now and the family were sorting through her finances. Not sure exactly how much there is, but I have a feeling it will be at least a couple of thousand pounds, which can be put towards his tuition fees. Who knows? Maybe his quite well -to- do father's family will put the rest towards the fees? Sean's dad has 6 brothers and sisters, all in well paid jobs. Even if not, I think there will be at least two thousand towards the four. Might be able to take out a Credit Union loan for the rest. Things are looking a lot more positive for me and my son tonight. 

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 2

Don't forget your library will have a range of resources, mine also has an ebook system linked to my library card.  You could also look for the book (can't remember it's name) that tells you which charities support which sort of person - there may well be funding available there too,.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

Don't forget your library will have a range of resources, mine also has an ebook system linked to my library card.  You could also look for the book (can't remember it's name) that tells you which charities support which sort of person - there may well be funding available there too,.

Thank you x

19 minutes ago, Jane said:

Has Sean investigated bursaries and scholarships that are available from the university he hopes to attend? In England students can have 4 years worth of student finance, is it only 3 in NI? 

No it's 4 years of student finance here too. But he has already used up 2 of those years of funding on the HND he did at college ( and failed). He didn't want to go to Uni directly into year 2 anyway, which if he had passed his HND he could have done. He wants to go into the first year and be there at the start with everyone else. Student Finance will pay for years 2 and 3 but we will have to fund the first year ourselves. Which is why he is staying here in Northern Ireland to study, as it is so much cheaper than England. Thankfully, during his HND at college he was living at home, and therefore he's still entitled to all his Maintenance loan for housing etc. Most degrees here are for 4 years, but luckily the ones he is interested in last for only 3.