RB's Les Patineurs/Winter Dreams/The Concert (running times?)

The ROH website has finally now got the running times up.

The performance lasts around 2 hours 45 minutes, including two intervals

Approximate timings

Act I – 25 minutes
Interval – 25 minutes
Act II – 55 minutes
Interval – 25 minutes
Act III – 35 minutes

• Like 3

On 11/12/2018 at 16:42, AnneMarriott said:

I've had an email reminding me that I'm attending the first night on Tuesday 18th December.  It says "for running times, refer to the website."  I have - and I'm none the wiser!

I emailed the new contact for running time for les Pat's and he said he would email me when the Royal Ballet told him - How do they expect customers to sort out their return journey to far flung places like South Wales with this unnecessary lack of information?? Bus ticket s need booking now - less than 2 weeks to performance date. They are being very disrespectful to us!!

• Like 2

I'd forgotten how long Winter Dreams is. The problem is, it feels it. I hope RB gets some of Sir Kenneth's earlier, more interesting works back, and Gloria.

Edited by Darlex

On 10/12/2018 at 11:34, FLOSS said:

The timings according to the most recent information on the ROH performance database are as follows:-

1) Les Patineurs  24 minutes  (2011 performance)

2) Winter Dreams 54 minutes (2010 performance)

3) The Concert  29 minutes  (2001 performance)

The mixed bill has one hour forty seven minutes of dancing plus two intervals of either twenty five or thirty minutes. I hope this helps.

So the running times are finally up.   A day before the first performance.  Surprise,  surprise,  it is 2 hours 45mins approx,  which is exactly what Floss predicted from previous running times.   How come Floss can do this and not the ROH?   

It is totally unacceptable, so close to the first night.   I have friends who can only just today calculate how to get home on Thursday,  back to Poole.   I can only assume that the Londoncentric ROH thinks it will only make a difference in what time you get to the restaurant or drinks or the tube afterwards..... 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, cavycapers said:

So the running times are finally up.   A day before the first performance.  Surprise,  surprise,  it is 2 hours 45mins approx,  which is exactly what Floss predicted from previous running times.   How come Floss can do this and not the ROH?   

It is totally unacceptable, so close to the first night.   I have friends who can only just today calculate how to get home on Thursday,  back to Poole.   I can only assume that the Londoncentric ROH thinks it will only make a difference in what time you get to the restaurant or drinks or the tube afterwards..... 

Easy.  Floss cares.  ROH do not.

• Like 2

I am wondering, too if I will be able to stay for the 3rd piece- but hoping it is The Concert last, the one I could most bear to miss.

I plan to quickly nip down to Somerset House first to watch the skating to get in the mood for Patineurs- can't wait! Is there a thread yet? - starts tonight! Hurray for a change from Nutcracker ( fabulous as it is. )

3 hours ago, Mary said:

I am wondering, too if I will be able to stay for the 3rd piece- but hoping it is The Concert last, the one I could most bear to miss.

I plan to quickly nip down to Somerset House first to watch the skating to get in the mood for Patineurs- can't wait! Is there a thread yet? - starts tonight! Hurray for a change from Nutcracker ( fabulous as it is. )

Yes there is a thread.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 11:34, FLOSS said:

The timings according to the most recent information on the ROH performance database are as follows:-

1) Les Patineurs  24 minutes  (2011 performance)

2) Winter Dreams 54 minutes (2010 performance)

3) The Concert  29 minutes  (2001 performance)

The mixed bill has one hour forty seven minutes of dancing plus two intervals of either twenty five or thirty minutes. I hope this helps.

As far as the website is concerned why would any of us expect somebody employed to provide information about performances to the ROH audience to think that timings matter when they clearly don't believe that ballet casting details are of concern to anyone? You have to remember that the Marketing Department has figures which prove to their satisfaction that all anyone wants to know about performances taking place at the ROH is whether they are opera or ballet. They may just concede   that the average operagoer expects to be told who is singing but as far as the balletgoer is concerned all that most people attending performances want to know is that they are going to see a performance by the Royal Ballet. Remember they have the figures to prove it.

They want those of us who do not conform to this ideal audience which their consultants have identified for them to change our ways as quickly as possible. The ideal audience members are far less needy as they do not require ROH staff to provide anything but the most basic services.  Should anyone object that the ROH audience does not consist of two mutually exclusive groups of operagoers and balletgoers but includes a hybrid group who go to both opera and ballet the powers that be will vehemently deny their existence and redouble their efforts to eliminate that pesky group of nonconformists as quickly as possible through the useful mechanism of the dynamic pricing policy.

Thank you for that - it'll come in useful for the Thursday matinee