RB's Les Patineurs/Winter Dreams/The Concert (running times?)

1 hour ago, alison said:

My guess is it won't have been decided yet, but if you want an educated guess, given the length of the pieces and the ROH's usual interval habit, I'd expect it to be pushing 3 hours, maybe 2 hr 50 if you're lucky.

(Pure guesswork from what I remember of the running times, since the website doesn't even give individual running times :( )

15 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

...and no indication yet of who is the TBC on Opening Night...

Possibly they don't care, since all the performances are sold out anyway.

The timings according to the most recent information on the ROH performance database are as follows:-

1) Les Patineurs  24 minutes  (2011 performance)

2) Winter Dreams 54 minutes (2010 performance)

3) The Concert  29 minutes  (2001 performance)

The mixed bill has one hour forty seven minutes of dancing plus two intervals of either twenty five or thirty minutes. I hope this helps.

As far as the website is concerned why would any of us expect somebody employed to provide information about performances to the ROH audience to think that timings matter when they clearly don't believe that ballet casting details are of concern to anyone? You have to remember that the Marketing Department has figures which prove to their satisfaction that all anyone wants to know about performances taking place at the ROH is whether they are opera or ballet. They may just concede   that the average operagoer expects to be told who is singing but as far as the balletgoer is concerned all that most people attending performances want to know is that they are going to see a performance by the Royal Ballet. Remember they have the figures to prove it.

They want those of us who do not conform to this ideal audience which their consultants have identified for them to change our ways as quickly as possible. The ideal audience members are far less needy as they do not require ROH staff to provide anything but the most basic services.  Should anyone object that the ROH audience does not consist of two mutually exclusive groups of operagoers and balletgoers but includes a hybrid group who go to both opera and ballet the powers that be will vehemently deny their existence and redouble their efforts to eliminate that pesky group of nonconformists as quickly as possible through the useful mechanism of the dynamic pricing policy.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 14

• Jan McNulty changed the title to RB's Les Patineurs/Winter Dreams/The Concert (running times?)
34 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Think the ROH is getting to the stage where it thinks that ballet performances can be sold like spuds, except decent sellers of spuds at least have the courtesy to tell the buyer what variety of spud they're buying.

And whether you bake, mash or chip them.

If you want that sort of 'detail,'you can just jolly well cough up £8 for a programme.  I mean, who care's who is dancing what when you can gaze at all those contented people in the airport lounge enjoying the free facilities and sheltering from the cold.  They don't care if it's ballet or opera, they just sit there with their flasks and their packed lunches and their newspapers/books/laptops/friends and they don't bother anyone.  

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 1

I really don't know what we can do. Most theatres s to be able to produce cast lists in advance, although of course it's easier with a production like a play that has a permanent cast. But the situation at the ROH is getting ridiculous, and insulting to both the audience and the dancers. KOH  appears uninterested, and any comment or complaint made is met with a soothing and meaningless reply. Even if we stopped booking for performances it would only deprive us of enjoyment. I'm sure KOH doesn't wake up on the morning of a performance and think 'Great - I think I'll put A instead of B on stage tonight'. We all accept that illness and accidents can cause last minute changes, although we, and presumably the dancers, like this to be made known to the paying public. Any bright ideas?

3 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

That's precisely how I feel. Why would they care about people like us? 

They just let us say whatever we want, they do as they wish, they say "Oh they'll get used to it!". 

What options do we have in the end? 

Sorry, got this wrong way round!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FLOSS said:

The timings according to the most recent information on the ROH performance database are as follows:-

1) Les Patineurs  24 minutes  (2011 performance)

2) Winter Dreams 54 minutes (2010 performance)

3) The Concert  29 minutes  (2001 performance)

The mixed bill has one hour forty seven minutes of dancing plus two intervals of either twenty five or thirty minutes. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much Floss for looking those up (I didn't think of looking at past timings), and doing the job that an ROH employee could have done if they could have been bothered.   Once again, it displays their indifference (or ignorance) of the fact that not everyone lives in London and many have travelled for two or more hours to see a performance and have to make the same journey back afterwards.   

• Like 9

I find managements attitude in all this somewhat surprising.  Apart from those stupid comments made by the Chairman, we've heard remarkably little from anyone.  I often think the MD is a silent partner.  Whenever I have complained to staff on the night they have told me to write in.  And they don't seem to be making that comment simply to make me go away, its more that nobody is taking any notice of what they report back.

On 01/12/2018 at 11:04, zxDaveM said:

Agreed Sim. Though for me, I enjoyed Infra more this time round than I ever have before - and its one of my favourite McGregor pieces so I do like it a lot. Mainly because of the 2 dancers you mention. Watching Akane Takada's face, if not whole body, crumple as the music soared and resonated in your core with that huge melancholy cord, brought a real lump to my throat; and then watching Yasmine Naghdi dance that beautiful final pdd, so beautifully, was life affirming for me! 

8 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I find managements attitude in all this somewhat surprising.  Apart from those stupid comments made by the Chairman, we've heard remarkably little from anyone.  I often think the MD is a silent partner.  Whenever I have complained to staff on the night they have told me to write in.  And they don't seem to be making that comment simply to make me go away, its more that nobody is taking any notice of what they report back.

and they don't reply!!

Are we sure of the order of performance of the three pieces? another thing that is often confusing on the website is that the order for mixed bills is shown differently in different sections..I would assume this is the best and most sensible order- but -?

(I am hoping to sneak in an extra visit but might not be able to stay for the concert, assuming and hoping it is last, on one occasion)

13 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Might it be appropriate to repeat an earlier post here?

http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/19046-a-new-system-for-complaints-concerns-and-questions-at-the-roh/

On 10/12/2018 at 09:30, cavycapers said:

Does anyone know please the full running time including intervals of this production,  as I can't seem to find a 'finishes at time' anywhere on the ROH website?  

Thank you in anticipation. 

I've had an email reminding me that I'm attending the first night on Tuesday 18th December.  It says "for running times, refer to the website."  I have - and I'm none the wiser!

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, AnneMarriott said:

I've had an email reminding me that I'm attending the first night on Tuesday 18th December.  It says "for running times, refer to the website."  I have - and I'm none the wiser!

I emailed the new contact for running time for les Pat's and he said he would email me when the Royal Ballet told him - How do they expect customers to sort out their return journey to far flung places like South Wales with this unnecessary lack of information?? Bus ticket s need booking now - less than 2 weeks to performance date. They are being very disrespectful to us!!

• Like 3

Casting and timing information used to be so good, and pretty accurate. I just cannot see why it has now been decided that this should not be made readily available. What is the point - or is it just to irritate audiences who know what they want to see? I have received a couple of emails about performances I am due to attend which merely promote restaurant bookings and, as a previous poster has said,refer me to the uninformative web site.

• Like 3

I booked for this mixed bill as the Friends magazine gave a running time of 2hrs 15 mins, which meant I could get a train back at 10.40pm.  I hope that is correct or I am going to find it a very long journey home.  Having read the post by Floss, I am now a bit concerned!

12 hours ago, Margaret said:

I booked for this mixed bill as the Friends magazine gave a running time of 2hrs 15 mins, which meant I could get a train back at 10.40pm.  I hope that is correct or I am going to find it a very long journey home.  Having read the post by Floss, I am now a bit concerned!

My friends have the same approximate time to catch their last decent train home.   They are waiting on me to tell them if they need to try to stay over or not, and I can't help them 😬 with no information from the ROH.   However,  based on Floss's kind calculation from previous performances of 1hour 47minutes of dancing,  say 1hour 50mins,  plus two intervals of 30mins each max,  that's a 10.20pm finish,  I think.....

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 16:42, AnneMarriott said:

I've just received mine for the 20th, Anne.  Says the same.  Perhaps they will update the website after the first night, when they will know exactly how long it takes!

• Like 2

I've had an email from the ROH reminding me of my visit next Thursday evening and there is no mention of any cast changes.

I also had another email informing me of my visit in the 12th February to tell me that Yasmine Nagdhi is replacing Hayward in Two pigeons that day.

So why is there no mention of Corrales being replaced by Acri? 

Ah yes that's probably it.....they probably don't realise that a few mad people around also follow non Principal dancers!!

I have to admit I am disappointed about Corrales but am sure Luca Acri will make a good replacement. 

But am worried by this injury of Corrales as he was out for so long at the end of his time with ENB so it does seem it could be a rather serious one.

Edited by LinMM

3 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Maybe because Yasmine Naghdi and Francesca Hayward are Principals, and ROH only informs when a Principal takes over (a) show(s) from another Principal (?) 

I think they should inform people if one of the named cast at the booking stage is changed regardless of their rank.

• Like 7

Well, certainly in the more significant roles.  I might be able to do without knowing about cast changes to, say, Bay Middleton in Mayerling, by email - although it should still be announced. ON THE WEBSITE UNDER NEWS.  OR CAST CHANGES.  Anything that's been announced and is then changed should be announced - not just sneaked in on the casting page in the hopes that nobody will notice.

• Like 7

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:15, alison said:

Well, certainly in the more significant roles.  I might be able to do without knowing about cast changes to, say, Bay Middleton in Mayerling, by email - although it should still be announced. ON THE WEBSITE UNDER NEWS.  OR CAST CHANGES.  Anything that's been announced and is then changed should be announced - not just sneaked in on the casting page in the hopes that nobody will notice.

I have probably mentioned it here before, but I once attended an opera performance in a fairly major German opera house when there were *five* changes to the principal cast between when I booked and when I attended, including all three of what one would consider the "top three" roles.

There was no email, and no announcement on the night - a mention was made on a slip in the programme, but only of some of the changes, not all.  It would seem that one of the "top three" principals had dropped out so far in advance that they didn't think it worth mentioning.

The result of this experience is that I will never, ever book in advance for this theatre ever again.

• Like 2