How to find a good school for a boy

csmith263

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/12/2018 at 10:36, csmith263 said:

Any tips or recommendations for schools in the East Midlands greatly received.

Hello there,

I am new to this site so I am just reading through some of the material and came across your post. I notice you are looking for schools in the East Midlands, but I can recommend the West Midlands, Kings International Ballet Academy, Barwell near Hinckley. Transport links are good in that area, so it would be worth a visit.

It is a new vocational school with a pre-vocational Saturday associate program . They accept full time students from 16 plus, ie after GCSE's preferably, but they have accepted some students  younger than this who continue academic studies with their ancillary tutoring service. I would arrange to visit for one of their open days or arrange to attend the Saturday associate program  lessons. 

My DD has completed the first year full time course after 4 years in another vocational school abroad , and is very content with the teaching, and happy she moved there.    

On 04/08/2019 at 22:47, Anna C said:

Thanks Lusodancer - csmith263 was looking for recommendations in December though so hopefully they have found a school by now. 🙂

Yes that's true, but as the parent was asking for the long run with her DS at Dec 2018 still only in year 8, now going into year 9 this September, the family have a few years to try a few school near by as an associate, open days or holiday intensives to find the right environment. 

But the suggestions for a strong supportive classical training for young men are so different from the routes into general dance theatre colleges that any advice should be welcome from those who have information of experience of vocational programs. We know that committed boy dancers are needed in greater numbers than feeder schools can recruit and retain, therefore it is essential that parents and teachers are given the right help to maintain that interest and to give special attention to specific training, so whilst girls are on pointe work, boys are working on cross-training for flexibility and strength. So as much work not less than female students.

I have seen many different routes to success and know of several very strong programs for young men, but mostly in Portugal, and hence I am interested in reading feeds like this in this forum . 

The 'Ballet Talk for Dancers' website has a 'sticky' about "general age-appropriate guidelines":

https://dancers.invisionzone.com/topic/54927-general-age-appropriate-training-guidelines/

In my non-expert opinion, the best way for a young male student to prepare for audition for a vocational ballet school would be, in addition to trying to get at least some all boys' classes, to also get ballet training that could train them up to the level required both in quality and quantity to get into a vocational ballet school at a certain year. If feasible, perhaps look into auditions for associate dance schemes to supplement your son's dance training?

I would think the older a male ballet student (who wants a dance career) is, the more essential it would be for the student to get male ballet classes.

Edited by DancingtoDance
  • Like 1