2 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, but don't they take forever?  Wasn't that the journey from hell I took last time I went to their Nutcracker?

Marylebone to Moor St (and back the other way) is about 10mins faster during the day - though the Virgin service to Euston late at night is much faster. Marylebone a much nicer station to set off from and arrive to, than is Euston, I reckon

The Marylebone service is incredibly variable in terms of time taken - I think it can vary by up to 30 minutes.  The "journey from hell" referred to the time I took the (?)East Midlands service - packed to the gunwhales, like a sauna, and you didn't dare make an attempt to get to the loo, plus the journey was some 2.5 hours, and, I think, delayed on top of that.  Horrible, plus I was feeling really ill - and probably starting a migraine - all the way home.

The ten past the hour from Marylebone and the fifty-five minutes past the hour from Moor Street are the quicker trains on Chiltern. If you have a rail card the Super Off Peak ticket is just over £20 return. I always used to use this service to get to London when I lived in Birmingham. I much prefer the Chiltern service to Virgin and Marylebone is certainly better than Euston as a station.

I usually buy singles each way, and if you can be flexible on travel times, bargains can be had. Last time I went I got a single up to Birmingham for £6, and a single back for just over £9 (it was just before rush hour). And I got back to London in plenty of time to get to the ROH evening performance! 🙂

• Like 1

I'm on a Virgin train and it's £34 -30 return ....two single fares with seat no's booked etc.

As it was so late it's only £2 less than the open return fare when you can get on any train! 

But I expected this and wasn't prepared to compromise with travel time on this occasion ....so I've got a couple of hours before and after the performance ...probably to have another look at the fab Library I saw in September and maybe get into the Philamonic Hall which was out of bounds when there last.

Obviously if better planned on another occasion could have got a cheaper fare even on the faster trains.

• Like 1

Presumably there's the Christmas market(s? - there was something outside the Library too, last time I went), too ...

Blimey, has the open return gone down?  I went to a business event there some years ago and am sure the open return cost me about £45!

EDIT: Oh, hang on, you probably have a railcard ...

On 07/12/2018 at 14:52, Jane S said:

Found it - 1998. 20 years ago. Crikey.

Gosh, was it really that long ago.  I remember it as I went down to host a talk with Monica Zamora who mention in passing that she turned down an offer to join the Paris Opéra Ballet school to go to The Royal Ballet school.

The other reason I remember it so well is that I popped into the fish restaurant next door,  Loch Fyne (?), and was so dazzled to be greeted by Wolfgang Stollwitzer that I nearly tripped and fell flat on my face in front of him.  Very undignified but what a way to go!

(Yes, Janet, I know I never saw him as Onegin but you did.  You'll have to remind me of that story some time!)

• Like 2

LinMM I will be watching Thursday matinee show! I will definetly be blubbering as it is my 10 year old dd's last performance of 13 as a child this year. Keep an eye out for her as she is the one out of the 4 girls with a different dress with layers in the skirt. She has had such a wonderful time and I have enjoyed listening to what stories she has to tell after the performances. Her favorite dancer and now idol is Beatrice Parma from Italy. 

• Like 8

Ah Ms Sunshine I've had no internet contact since Tuesday so have only just seen this post or I would have messaged you!!

I will report back soon ....it was definitely worth going up for and was going to mention the children in particular! 

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 13:15, Ms Sunshine said:

Keep an eye out for her as she is the one out of the 4 girls with a different dress with layers in the skirt.

I noticed her - thoroughly enjoying herself, by the looks of things :) 

• Like 2

I went to see this last Thursday on a day mini trip to Birmingham.....and was it cold! Still better than the rain I've got soaked in twice this week now already!!

Anyway the Hippodrome was very easy to find from the station and no probs just walking in and collecting my ticket and warming up!!

I really liked this production it's very "cosy" somehow and the overall colours in the opening scenes ......seemed to be lots of red .....created a warm glow. I also liked Drosselmeyers role in this production ....more talented Uncle figure ....member of the magic circle sort ......than weirdo witchy uncle figure .....danced with gusto by Rory Mackay. Now just how did he get the head to go back on the Nutcracker doll both lying well separated on the stage floor........a nice bit of real magic to me!! 

The children were all really good. Fritz was danced by Joseph Burdett a really nice little actor never over the top so completely believable no mean feat for one so young but they were all delightful. There was one very small boy with dark hair who was just absolutely charming the one who was disappointed with his present ( we all know that feeling from childhood.....you know the lovely Aunty who has given you a really hard book to read!) and he kept it up for a while sharing his disappointment with the others but he was so touching.... loved him. The girls were also really good sharing their dolls together and the dance they all did together was beautifully presented. I think they all came from Elmhurst so well done to them and nice for them to get this opportunity on a big stage etc.

The Christmas tree growing was brilliant ....it really does get huge and love the way the box of soldiers turns into a life size box with real dancers in! 

Clara was played by Arancha Baselga and her pas de deux at the end of Act one with Brandon Lawrence  ( who turns into the Prince from the Nutcracker doll makes perfect sense....no weird complications) was lovely ....I just love Brandon anyway and love his grand jetes in particular! Arancha is a good dancer but just wished she could have projected her joy a little more .....she was better in the second Act though.

I was pleased to see that a dancer called Brooke Ray was in brilliant form as the Snow Fairy.......I remember her as a student and wondered where she had gone so good to see her with BRB ....loved her in this role ....and then the usual snow magic with the real choir singing....they are members of Ex Cathedra Academy of Vocal Music apparently.....don't know much about this but perhaps well known in Birmingham. I particularly liked the Four Winds ( danced by men) in this ....loved their costumes. This whole number was delightful could have watched again immediately!! 

One of the stunning things of this production is the entrance of Clara on the flying swan in the second act ....this provoked spontaneous applause from the audience and rightly so ...really spectacular! Loved it! 

All the dances in the second act were done well.... nice to see Alys Shee in the Arabian and what a little star Beatrice Parma was as the Rose Fairy. She looks tiny but so strong a very energetic Rose Fairy with some lovely jumps and lively direct communication with the audience. 

The final pas de deux was dance by Celine Gittens and Brandon Lawrence a truely beautiful ending to the ballet ....was completely smitten by the whole Company by then and will definitely make more effort to go and see them up in Birmingham.

After the ballet wanting just  a bit more magic found the HUGE German Christmas market nearby all very pretty lively and jolly just what needed after seeing this Nutcracker to keep a bit of a spell glow around for a bit longer. Didn't make it over to the Library or Symphony Hall though .....it was freezing that day but another time.

I have no idea whether the production will be as good at the RAH but I won't go again to see it there as don't want to spoil the lovely experience I had last week but if it's the only Nutcracker people can get to this Christmas then do go and try to catch Celine and Brandon if poss. Will they use different children though? It would be great if they could as they were so sweet and deserve to be seen by London audiences but can see it may not be possible. 

So next year hopefully up to see Northern Ballets Nutcracker .....another one have not seen may be a while before see the London Companies again but am dying for ENB to get a new one....for another thread though.

Linda 

• Like 8

So glad you enjoyed it. Those of us here who have loved this production over the years, have secretly  known this is the best production of the Nutcracker. I don’t think some of the details which  you have remarked on will be replicated in the RAH, but the clearer storyline and wonderful dancing by this talented company, definitely will be.

• Like 4

Very well done Linda and thank you very much for the lovely review.  I really enjoyed reading it.

If you are free in June try to make it to either the Hippodrome or Sadler's Wells for Hobson's Choice.  Firstly it is an utter joy from start to finish and secondly it will be David Bintley's last hurrah.  Who knows when we will have the chance to see it again. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Have you seen this Cinderella Jan? There are quite a few versions around at the moment I'm pretty sure have seen most of them including Ratmansky's etc so is this Cinderella very newish for Northern?

Of course!!  I think it premiered 5 years ago with the always sublime Martha Leebolt and Toby Batley.

David Nixon has set it in Russia and there is a magician rather than a fairy godmother.  There’s a gorgeous skating section too.

And as for the final duet...

It’s a commissioned score by Philip Feeney, who also composed the score for Christopher Gable’s production (which long time fans of NB would KILL to see again).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

I have tried very hard to find this without success.  However, as a very great fab of Celine I am pleased she has had some press coverage.

It is quite odd. There is no reference to the photograph as to what it is about. You need to know the dancer. It is the classic shot of the Snow Fairy in BRB’s Nutcracker usually shown these last couple of years that has featured Yvette Knight.

• Like 1