The Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, December 2018 - January 2019

1 minute ago, Jane S said:

Tim Matiakis was rather good - also much younger than most who take these roles?

Avis has already done the Macmillan sister,  hasn't he?

My dream casting would be Gartside/Yanowsky...

It's not mentioned in Avis' programme biography, (not that they list everything).

Macmillan did perform this role, but usually it's referred to as the Helpmann sister, the role's creator. 

I love the idea of Zanowsky coming back and while I believe she is capable of doing anything, can we just leave it with the men? (Although I  think the sisters were originally to be made on women, and were even performed by women at once in the fifties) 

I see Gartside as the Helpmann sister with Whitehead. 

I appreciate Alison's comment that the RB is currently strong in its Character Artist department (which makes it all the more a pity that there isn't more rep to use their talents - think of some of the Ashton demi - character works and how about a Massine piece). I do think it's nice to invite former members back if they suit the role -  many are a link to the creator and some original cast members. Graham Fletcher would make an excellent Ashton sister I think. (He was always more understated than Wayne Sleep, but IMO, much funnier). 

Okay, so my combinations are:

Whitehead /Gartside 

Hart/Tuckett 

Sansom/Cope

Bintley/Corder 

Fletcher/Avis 

Cervera/Watson? 

and 

O'Hare M./O'Hare K!!!!! 

Sorry for hijacking this Nutcracker thread with Cinderella thoughts! 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to Nutcracker, reading this morning's link (a big thank you to the team who does this for us every day), Vera Liber makes confusing reading of the facts in her last paragraph. 

And Luke Jennings says that, unlike Nutcracker, the company's relationship with the rest of the classical cannon has been ambivalent - he singles out Sleeping Beauty. I wonder if he is actually comparing how often the ballet is shown? If so, How do other forum readers interpret his remarks in today's article? 

Okay, so I seem to be diverting the thread again. I am giving RB Nutcracker a rest this year. I always find the second act in this production a strangely desolate affair. 

44 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

I think Luke Jennings has reached a time in his life that I entered a few years ago. « Grumpy Old Man »

I think you've hit the nail on the head there!

It's a very odd review - he seems so cross about finding nothing to fault with the show itself that he spends about half of the space complaining about something else. I can't remember when I last saw five stars given so grudgingly.

• Like 6

Just got back from my local cinema's encore screening of 'The Nutcracker' (Shown live on Monday night) a magnificent production and performance from The Royal Ballet, superb dancing from Vadim Muntagirov and Marianela Nuñez as the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Cavalier,  just a magical performance from two dancers at the top of their game and they look so good together, the whole cinema went really quiet during the PDD, spellbinding. 

Marcelino Sambé and Anna Rose O’Sullivan were delightful as Hans-Peter and Clara, joyous dancing and Gary Avis was as always excellent as Herr Drosselmeyer, one of the best interpreters of the role today IMHO

The corps de ballet were great as the snowflakes, lots of flurries. 

Melissa Hamilton was slinky in the Arabian dance, draping over the shoulders of the men and moving like liquid, channelling the music so well.

Fumi Kaneko was a pretty Rose Fairy and I just love the Waltz of the Flowers.

The music was gorgeous, such a genius ballet score from Tchaikovsky, Christmas has got dialled up to 11. 

I'm not familiar with lots of Nutcracker productions, I've only ever seen the Bolshoi's and Birmingham Royal Ballet's (on DVD with the divine Irek Mukhamedov and Miyako Yoshida) and I like all 3 for different reasons but Sir Peter Wright's productions (both RB and BRB) just gets the magical essence of The Nutcracker. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Darlex said:

Getting back to Nutcracker, reading this morning's link (a big thank you to the team who does this for us every day), Vera Liber makes confusing reading of the facts in her last paragraph. 

And Luke Jennings says that, unlike Nutcracker, the company's relationship with the rest of the classical cannon has been ambivalent - he singles out Sleeping Beauty. I wonder if he is actually comparing how often the ballet is shown? If so, How do other forum readers interpret his remarks in today's article? 

Okay, so I seem to be diverting the thread again. I am giving RB Nutcracker a rest this year. I always find the second act in this production a strangely desolate affair. 

When I first read his review this morning I was going to come on here and have a rant....but as it's sunny, Sunday and the so-called season of goodwill, I decided not to.  So I am very happy that someone else has instead!!  :)   I was just gobsmacked when I read it.  I mean, I know he is paid by the Guardian, but to reduce The Nutcracker to a class issue is just ridiculous.  I won't even dignify his comments with cogent argument because it's not worth the time it would take.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sim said:

When I first read his review this morning I was going to come on here and have a rant....but as it's sunny, Sunday and the so-called season of goodwill, I decided not to.  So I am very happy that someone else has instead!!  :)   I was just gobsmacked when I read it.  I mean, I know he is paid by the Guardian, but to reduce The Nutcracker to a class issue is just ridiculous.  I won't even dignify his comments with cogent argument because it's not worth the time it would take.  

Presumably his next review of The Sleeping Beauty will include a withering criticism of monarchy as a system of government.

• Like 5

Very much enjoyed the encore performance and will look forward to the cinema cast in the theatre 22 December all being well.  I thought the ending slightly rushed so Clara didn't really have the time to recognise that she still had her pendant as the lights were already showing Drosselmeyer at his table.

As regards Luke Jennings, I rather assumed he was a little 'tongue in cheek' in his support for the mice.  I've always had some sympathy for the urchins snowballing the party guest and wondered about their Christmas festivities.

• Like 6

I found Mr. Jenning’s comments a mixture of amusements and worthiness. I can’t help sharing a sneaky desire to see the mice triumph one day! His rather self righteous remark concerning the unfortunate families whose story is not told in the Nutcracker, is symptomatic of a frequent trend to critique the ‘cultural’  canon across several of the  arts. As another festive character would say “ Humbug”.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

I think Luke Jennings has reached a time in his life that I entered a few years ago. « Grumpy Old Man »

I used to have a high esteem for Luke Jennings as a ballet critic and used to enjoy reading his reviews but not any longer.  I just roll my eyes now whenever I read a review of his and after this one I frankly will not bother reading his reviews. 

• Like 2

Don't forget, he writes for the Grauniad.  There is probably some sort of contractual obligation that says they must mention the word elitism at least once in every article they write.  Or make sure they mention something about the class war, poverty v wealth etc etc.

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 6

On 06/12/2018 at 15:31, James said:

This, I think, is the photograph in question.

Nutcracker1892.jpg

I've just watched the RB version with Collier and Dowell and have now seen this in action! Even Lesley Collier looked a little apprehensive. Fascinating to see people like Johnathon Cope and Christopher Saunders in the Arab Dance. Well worth a watch, even with the rather unattractive costumes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I've just watched the RB version with Collier and Dowell and have now seen this in action! Even Lesley Collier looked a little apprehensive. Fascinating to see people like Johnathon Cope and Christopher Saunders in the Arab Dance. Well worth a watch, even with the rather unattractive costumes.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere..but I gave my DVD away, -alas, must get it again. Which year is that one, ninamargaret?

21 hours ago, Jane S said:

Tim Matiakis was rather good - also much younger than most who take these roles?

Avis has already done the Macmillan sister,  hasn't he?

My dream casting would be Gartside/Yanowsky...

Gary Avis has danced the Helpmann sister a number of times. I saw him in June 2010, with Phiip Mosley as the Ashton sister. Personally, I think it would be a mistake to cast former principals in these roles - it was not a great success when it was tried before. Benet Gartside would be brilliant alongside Gary Avis.

Sorry, back to Nutcracker...

10 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Amongst the female dancers, there is an impressive cast list in minor roles including Sarah Wildor, Maria Almeida,  Karen Paisley, Fiona Chadwick, Viviana Durante and Wendy Ellis - all of whom went on to become principals.

Among the up and coming male dancers at the time are Bruce Sansom, Ashley Page, Errol Pickford, Anthony Dowson, Phillip  Broomhead and of course the aforementioned Jonathan Cope!

The year of this production is 1985

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

I used to have a high esteem for Luke Jennings as a ballet critic and used to enjoy reading his reviews but not any longer.  I just roll my eyes now whenever I read a review of his and after this one I frankly will not bother reading his reviews. 

He has just announced his retirement from the Observer at the end of the month..

• Like 2

(re Luke Jennings' retirement from the Observer/Guardian)

Probably given that his originally self-published novella Villanelle took off so well and is now the critically-acclaimed (haha - meaning funny that a critic gets critical acclaim) Killing Eve TV series, with one of my favourite actresses, the Canadian Sandra Oh in the Eve role, he has too many plates spinning and has had to drop one?

• Like 1

I had no intention of going to the live screening, - but of course having read the Forum comments a small voice was saying- 'Why weren't you there?' and I managed to get to an encore this afternoon- oh was it worth it! Marcelino Sambe just on fire, I so enjoyed his performance.  One thing I don't like about the production is the 'joining in the diverts' aspect, but , with his enthusiastic energy twice that of anyone on stage he reconciled me even to that. He and Anna Rose O' Sullivan were lovely together, such chemistry- I can't wait to see them again.

As for Muntarigov and Nunez- what can one say, perfection in every possible way. They looked so happy, it was impossible not to smile back. I sometimes think Vadim is one of those rare dancers so brilliant, so assured in technique that he makes it look very easy, and a small minority of  viewers make the mistake of believing him...and under rate his brilliance.

They just glided through the grand pas as if it was a walk in the park. But, the incredible technique underlying that was really awesome.

Thanks again Forum for making me go. Tears of joy! -  and I must stock up on waterproof mascara for the live performance coming soon!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Mary said:

As for Muntarigov and Nunez- what can one say, perfection in every possible way.

Your post was a lovely homage to these two wonderful dancers, Mary. Thank you.

I completely agree with what you say about Muntagirov. I sense there is a risk of his awesomeness sometimes being taken for granted, including on here.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, capybara said:

Your post was a lovely homage to these two wonderful dancers, Mary. Thank you.

I completely agree with what you say about Muntagirov. I sense there is a risk of his awesomeness sometimes being taken for granted, including on here.

Not by me!!!

• Like 6

Loved the relay.  So enjoyed it in every way. A total treat.

The only thing that let it down was (noticed independently by all in our party) the ill fitting shoes worn by the female party children. Such a pity - they danced perfectly and will have the best feet in the country :( It's so basic.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:17, aliceinwoolfland said:

Someone on Instagram who goes to the ballet dozens of times each season posted an Instagram story saying they were at the Paul Hamlyn Christmas Treat matinee. Can someone enlighten me? I thought that was specifically for people who had never seen ballet before, often from disadvantaged groups? 

It's possible that they had a complimentary/company ticket for some reason.  Somebody I know participated in something voluntary a few years ago at Thurrock and was given a ticket for one of those invitation-only performances (of Swan Lake, on that occasion) as a thank you.

Another possibility is that they got in as, for example, the person involved with a certain group who told them about the event and nominated them to be invited.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1