Richard LH

The Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, December 2018 - January 2019

I have a thorny question. The SPF and Cavalier wigs are so white and powdered that they only look good on very fair-skinned dancers. What happens when dancers of color dance this role? Do they still wear the white powdered wigs? Like what do you do for dancers like Hayward and Carlos Acosta?

It's not a thorny question at all. Francesca Hayward looks wonderful in her blonde wig. I don't think that Carlos Acosta ever danced The Prince in the RB's production, did he?

• Like 3

Ha ha perhaps he didn't want to wear the wig!!

However I can't see him particularly in this role somehow.

I'm sure if Acosta had danced the Prince he'd have worn the white wig in just the same way that other dancers do e.g. in Manon - it was just the fashion at various times in history, regardless of skin tone.

And I too think Francesca Hayward really suits the white wig - if you think anyone does :)  (I do think they changed the shade of the blonde wig for Princess Stephanie in Mayerling for her, though)

• Like 1

ROHCollections says that Acosta danced the prince twice in the 1999/2000 season with Viviana Durante as his Sugar Plum Fairy. Jog any memories?

Jonathan Cope didn't wear a white wig when I saw this production in 2001. His wig may have been glittered, but it was certainly dark.

Personally I think the frosted wigs look a bit odd on the dancers with East Asian skin tone, but look fine on black/white mixed heritage dancers. They certainly don’t look as bizarre as when any darker-skinned dancer gets landed with one of the pale ginger courtesan wigs in Manon, perhaps because the frosted wigs aren’t trying to appear natural, and therefore can look equally unnatural and therefore equally splendid on most.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, James said:

Jonathan Cope didn't wear a white wig when I saw this production in 2001. His wig may have been glittered, but it was certainly dark.

I'd need to check the video, but I don't think Miyako Yoshida did either.  I certainly remember her doing a Sugar Plum Fairy with frosted hair.  OTOH, that might not work too well on blondes.

Lauren Cuthbertson has not wore a wig in previous performances. Just lots and lots of silver/white hairspray. I seem to remember a time lapse video on social media.

On 27/12/2018 at 22:09, Fonty said:

That is such a poignant bit of music.  Sometimes I think it is inappropriate for a pdd being danced by a sugar plum fairy and her prince in a cheery Christmas ballet, and instead should be incorporated into a piece featuring a pair of doomed lovers. 

Graeme Murphy's reimagining Nutcracker: the Story of Clara is the one you need to see, then, Fonty...

• Like 1

I have watched that Cope/Yoshida performance so often I wore out my computer, Ivy Lin.

My favourites, both of them! and the hair does look better.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mary said:

I have watched that Cope/Yoshida performance so often I wore out my computer, Ivy Lin.

My favourites, both of them! and the hair does look better.

And I also love Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov in this and Dowell too - it's just a perfect cast! It's great to spot all the future principals in smaller roles too like Watson and Morera.

• Like 2

On 27/12/2018 at 09:00, Sim said:

This music chokes me up every time I hear it.  That and the SPF pdd music. 

And in my mind's eye, no matter how many  times  hear it, I only ever picture Alina and Ivan dancing this beautiful pdd....

On 27/12/2018 at 13:59, Ivy Lin said:

My favorite Nutcrackers are George Balanchine's version which really gives very young ballet students a chance to shine, and has a much more intimate Christmas party. I also enjoyed Alexei Ratmansky's version, and Mark Morris's The Hard Nut. Also enjoyed on video the Kent Stowell production.

I just find that every year Peter Wright's version gets stuffier. I adored the Collier/Dowell video as well as the version he made for BRB so many years ago. But that video now seems quaint in its simplicity and charm and I think the RB production is overstuffed. Sometimes you get subtraction from addition.

Horses for courses I guess because I have never really taken to George Balanchine’s version despite trying several times when I lived in New York. 

I don’t think there’s a perfect version (disliked ENB’s version) but I’ve come to appreciate the RB’s version.

• Like 1

I don't suppose anyone has any idea of who might be the Rose Fairy tomorrow, or on the 15th?  Who's been dancing it this run?

23 minutes ago, alison said:

I don't suppose anyone has any idea of who might be the Rose Fairy tomorrow, or on the 15th?  Who's been dancing it this run?

I can tell you tomorrow evening if that helps 🤣

24 minutes ago, alison said:

Mayara Magri, Elizabeth Harrod, Claire Calvert, Beatriz Stix-Brunell as far as I’m aware.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrsBBB said:

Mayara Magri, Elizabeth Harrod, Claire Calvert, Beatriz Stix-Brunell as far as I’m aware.

Fumi Kaneko was another

• Like 1

No Naghdi?  Mendizabal's also danced it, and Choe.

It seems Yasmine Naghdi doesn't dance the Rose Fairy any longer :(  She danced it as a Soloist, and as a First Soloist for the worldwide Cinema relay, but she only danced the Sugar Plum Fairy during the current run. 

Oh, that's a shame.  She was so good at it.  Yet it seems this year it's been classified as a First Soloist role.

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

It seems Yasmine Naghdi doesn't dance the Rose Fairy any longer :(  She danced it as a Soloist, and as a First Soloist for the worldwide Cinema relay, but she only danced the Sugar Plum Fairy during the current run. 

Has the Rose Fairy been danced by ANY principal in recent years? It was highly unusual for Hayward to continue to dance Clara until last year, two seasons after her promotion.

Laura Morera danced her not too long ago, IIRC. 

Posted (edited)

Yanowsky, Nunez, Galeazzi, and Lamb all danced Rose Fairy as principals. The Rose equivalent in Balanchine's production (Dewdrop) is also frequently danced by principals at NYCB.

Edited by MRR
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RuthE said:

Has the Rose Fairy been danced by ANY principal in recent years? It was highly unusual for Hayward to continue to dance Clara until last year, two seasons after her promotion.

I guess the reason why Naghdi didn't dance the Rose Fairy this year could be because she also had her scheduled performances as Irina soon after she danced all her SPF performances. 

• Like 1

It looks as though my plans this week are likely to get messed up again.  If anyone's still looking for a (not particularly good) stalls circle standing for tonight's performance, do send me a PM with contact details in case I need to get rid of my ticket for this evening at fairly short notice.