Dances at a gathering on DVD?

Really enjoyed watching Dances at a Gathering on World Ballet Day, followed by a brief mention at the Robbins/Balanchine Insight at ROH earlier this week. I have been trying to find a copy on DVD/Bluray and one does exist, it’s just near impossible to get hold of. The Paris Opera Ballet have a version from 2014 with Ratamansky’s Psyche but it doesn’t seem to be available in the UK and the Paris Opera shop won’t ship to the UK!

Does anyone have any leads in terms of where o could get this? I know the dances are available on YouTube but would like to watch it as it is supposed to be performed.,,

23 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

on amazon, I found this:

Tribute to Jerome Robbins, by POB. One of the reviews says that 'In the Night' is followed by 'Dances at a Gathering' - so you may be in luck

Hi Dave, that review said In the Night followed Dances at a Gathering meaning he made the former after the latter. I own this particular DVD and it only has En sol, The Concert and In the Night. Plus the Millepied which I've watched once.

Sorry Blossom, you are right that you want the DVD with the Ratmansky as well. However they don't have that for sale. They do have the programme from that 2014 season for €12 though.

Andthe POB shop online used to ship to Australia but now nowhere outside "mainland Europe" including some small islands eg Malta - how odd! Because I bought my DVDs in 2016 as I'd never seen En sol and I wanted to spend my first visit to the Garnier enjoying, not learning a new-to-me ballet...and then found the Boléro was Cherkaoui/Jalet not Béjart!

Edited by Sophoife
Changed a bit

• alison changed the title to Dances at a gathering on DVD?

Erm, is there anything wrong with this one?

Appears to ship to Europe and beyond?  (No experience of the company, though, just found it by Googling).  Payment in USD - not sure what the exchange rate is like at the moment.

Alternatively, what about checking with Dance Books?  I think they still sell DVDs.

In my search, I also found this site, which looks helpful (again, no personal recommendation):

https://www.dancehorizons.com/

Edited by alison
Removed link to a possible pirate site
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Hi Dave, that review said In the Night followed Dances at a Gathering meaning he made the former after the latter. I own this particular DVD and it only has En sol, The Concert and In the Night. Plus the Millepied which I've watched once.

ah - apologies for the duff info Blossom - and thanks for the correction Sophoife

12 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

...thanks for the correction Sophoife

Sorry to do it...but thanks for being so cool about it. 

@alison your Google skills put mine to shame! But having a closer look at that site, I find this in the Terms and Conditions: "all items are made to order" and you can choose a plastic sleeve or a full colour box and artwork. Also they're selling a Blu-ray of the 2018 Robbins tribute that was broadcast live in cinemas on 8 November. No DVD release date has yet been announced.

Also, I, um, happen to be acquainted with, um, shall we say, a place on the interwebs where all these ballet and opera cinema broadcasts (and much other stuff) can be found, usually within 12 hours of the broadcast, and the specs look remarkably similar (I checked).

Methinks 'tis a pirate, arrr! ☠️

• Like 1

I found this site a while back. It was selling recordings of the Royal Ballet that were cinema broadcasts but had not been released as dvds. I contacted the ROH to check if it was legit and was told that the information would be passed on to Opus Arte and the cinema team to look at. Shortly afterwards the Royal Ballet recordings were removed. That probably confirms Sophoife's suspicions about piracy. It would have been nice if Opus Arte had passed the information on to the other companies involved. 

• Like 1

Lol

4 minutes ago, alison said:

I obviously looked at the wrong bits - namely the postage section only.

I was questioning the misspelling of the subscribe button to myself, then I saw the POB Robbins which looked good but as it won't be in cinemas here until June 2019, I got suspicious and that was what sent me looking for site owner info etc...which there isn't any of...