Jazz Pants nightmare

Clarkd3

Hello, I’m hoping that you might be able to help me out with a sizing issue around jazz pants!

My 13 yr old DD is doing a tap exam soon and needs jazz pants. I’m having lots of trouble finding a pair to fit as she needs an inside leg of around 29 inch but waist 22-24 inch......plus she’s fussy about the flare at the bottom as she won’t wear them if they’re really wide! I’m also looking to pay as little as possible as she refuses to wear them in tap class and tbh the teacher is usually happy with leggings!

Obviously the fit is the most important thing but I’m going round in circles with websites that don’t often give you the leg length and the ones I have ordered don’t fit! 

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received! 😊

Hi. Is there a particular reason for the jazz pants request. After all the name is a bit of a give away. I’ve noticed over the past few years girls wear footless tights now for ISTD tap incl exams. DD took her ISTD Adv1 Tap last Friday.  Foot less tights and crop top. 

1) Examiner/teacher can see the feet in leggings/tights

2) The flare can trip the dancer up 

3) The inability to find jazz pants that fit!!! Your case proves that point. 

Probably not helpful in your case but I would ask the teacher again for her reasoning. Especially as your DD wears leggings in class.  

Good Luck. 

• Like 1

Just a thought (and apologies if you’ve already considered this) but as it’s the established uniform and only for exams, could the teacher not ask to borrow a pair from one of the older girls? 

Or if all the girls in the exam group have black leggings, could that particular group not wear the red leotard with black leggings? The examiner certainly wouldn’t mind; the main thing is that all the girls in that group look similar.

(When dd did tap exams the girls all wore a velour turtleneck leotard with black footless tights, but the leotard could be any colour. They still looked nice and it made life easier!)

20 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Just a thought (and apologies if you’ve already considered this) but as it’s the established uniform and only for exams, could the teacher not ask to borrow a pair from one of the older girls? 

Or if all the girls in the exam group have black leggings, could that particular group not wear the red leotard with black leggings? The examiner certainly wouldn’t mind; the main thing is that all the girls in that group look similar.

(When dd did tap exams the girls all wore a velour turtleneck leotard with black footless tights, but the leotard could be any colour. They still looked nice and it made life easier!)

Yes no luck on the borrowing front for various reasons! Maybe in the future the style of legs may change but for now my hunt for small waisted longer leg jazz pants is still needed! 😉

• Like 1

Hi Clarkd3 

Have you tried Dance Gear? Their made to order jazz pants are reasonably priced, and I would say more dancer size friendly. I’ve used them for a lot and if you call up they are usually pretty accommodating if you need something tweaking slightly, I imagine if you had a sizing request (as in you needed a slightly longer leg) they would probably be able to help or they would at least ask the manufacturing team. 

I remember when the width of the flare on your jazz pants was in direct correlation to how cool you were 😂 I even had scary spice inspired leopard print ones! 

Good luck with the hunt, they really should remain firmly buried in the noughties! 

• Like 1

My DD always had to wear the same Jazz pants when she did graded lessons. It was a dance school rule. They were expensive for one use and you would guarantee that she had grown out of them by the time the next exam came along. Like your DD she hated wearing them so they were only ever used once . A local dance costume maker might be your best bet. That way you  could get them made to your spec and shouldn't cost much. Alternatively have you tried purchasing a second hand pair from the dance costume selling sites on FB? You could then arrange for the flare to be reduced.

• Like 1

Bringing back horror memories of a male Jazz teacher in the early 80's who wore the tightest possible Jazz pants with wide flappy flares all manner of bright hues & pared with skinny V tops open way too low....We were taught to do oh so 1970's style jazz walks with isolations from the corner to 'Fantasy' by Earth, Wind & Fire .....a sight to behold I'm sure!! :lol:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

I used to have the same issue with my DD for jazz pants - same sort of size. The capezio Adult XS are about 22-24" inch waist but inside leg of 30".  I know I had to go adult sizing to get the small waist for my DDs as they grew - Adult XS is more size 6

Yes, I think dd’s used to be adult xs Capezio - she still has the same problem now; tiny waist and long legs! 

Peanut, I’m glad I wasn’t eating when I read your post. 😳😂😂😂

8 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

I used to have the same issue with my DD for jazz pants - same sort of size. The capezio Adult XS are about 22-24" inch waist but inside leg of 30".  I know I had to go adult sizing to get the small waist for my DDs as they grew - Adult XS is more size 6

Agreed – DD doesn't do jazz but likes tracksuit pants to wear to and from ballet class and they were all enormously wide on her until I found some through an Australian dance website (Energetiks). Even though your DD may still be 'a child', the child sizes seem to get wider as they get into the teens, reflecting the way people usually grow I suppose. DD isn't tall (5ft 3) but was wearing Adult XS from age 12 as her legs got longer but her torso stayed slender. Sometimes have to adjust leo straps or trouser length, and I'm still trying to work out why the manufacturers think all teens get wider but then sizing narrows down again for slender adults!

11 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

Yes we have some of those from my eldest DD but I got a ‘you must be joking’ from middle DD because of the size of the flare! 

22 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

Hi Clarkd3 

Have you tried Dance Gear? Their made to order jazz pants are reasonably priced, and I would say more dancer size friendly. I’ve used them for a lot and if you call up they are usually pretty accommodating if you need something tweaking slightly, I imagine if you had a sizing request (as in you needed a slightly longer leg) they would probably be able to help or they would at least ask the manufacturing team. 

I remember when the width of the flare on your jazz pants was in direct correlation to how cool you were 😂 I even had scary spice inspired leopard print ones! 

Good luck with the hunt, they really should remain firmly buried in the noughties! 

Thank you, sounds hopeful! 😊

10 hours ago, joyofdance said:

My DD always had to wear the same Jazz pants when she did graded lessons. It was a dance school rule. They were expensive for one use and you would guarantee that she had grown out of them by the time the next exam came along. Like your DD she hated wearing them so they were only ever used once . A local dance costume maker might be your best bet. That way you  could get them made to your spec and shouldn't cost much. Alternatively have you tried purchasing a second hand pair from the dance costume selling sites on FB? You could then arrange for the flare to be reduced.

Yup! New jazz pants for last years tap exam , now no good! Taking in the flare might be necessary! 🙄

8 hours ago, Mrs Brown said:

My 11 year old is 5ft 4 and has to have jazz pants for tap. hers are arabesque ones I think, small adult. her waist is only 25inches and they fit her fine.

Yes it’s that make that we’ve now got! 😅😊

• Like 1