So do you think people left in droves because they disliked the first two pieces?  I can understand about the first one because many people don’t seem to like it, but I thought Infra is very popular, even with non-McGregor fans!  

• Like 1

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Sim said:

So do you think people left in droves because they disliked the first two pieces?  I can understand about the first one because many people don’t seem to like it, but I thought Infra is very popular, even with non-McGregor fans!  

Infra appeared to be hugely appreciated up in the amphitheatre tonight, so I'm not sure that would explain the empty seats for part 3.  Or the largely empty upper slips - unless someone had spotted a whole load of other seats in the amphi going begging.

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

Maybe it was the prospect of another long interval followed by another comparatively short work? I can't otherwise imagine why anyone would miss Symphony in C.

Infra certainly got a great reception (though not from me). (It seemed to last hours.)

I enjoyed Osipova's performance in Symphony in C, though I did think that she didn't seem entirely comfortable. Bracewell was terrific, both in this and in The Unknown Soldier, as was O'Sullivan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

In truth, I don't know why they left tonight, but the only other time I saw as many people not return for the third part of a programme was at the McGregor triple bill (Chroma/Multiverse/Carbon Life) 

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

Infra was cheered loudly from the amphi. A problem for a lot of people is the quoted length of the evening. The ROH website says 2 hours 35 minutes. The cast sheet says 2 hours 45 minutes. Many people myself included have last trains to catch. On opening night we had only reached the end of the Second Movement by 22.05. Time for me to depart. Tonight was behind schedule at the beginning of Infra but they seemed to make up for lost time. I caught the last train to Bristol Parkway with 1 minute to spare

Edited by Tony Newcombe
  • Like 2

Infra has seemed to fly by on both occasions to me.

40 minutes ago, Darlex said:

I hadn't read your post when I posted mine, Linda! I have a ticket to see this programme once again next week and shall also just be turning up to see Symphony in C only.

Wouldn't you - and Linda - have done better, in that case, to wait for the second run of Symphony in C?  Or do you dislike the other parts of that bill equally?

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

There were droves of teenagers in the amphi, both on Tuesday and tonight. I can't recall ever seeing that before.

Oh, it happens.  I've noticed it at a few Matthew Ball performances in the past.  Whether or not there's a link, I couldn't say.

• Like 1

Just now, bridiem said:

There were droves of teenagers in the amphi, both on Tuesday and tonight. I can't recall ever seeing that before.

They could be studying Infra. A bit like when a Shakespeare play on the curriculum is on at a theatre and all the school children descend upon it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bridiem said:

I noticed that too. I think it was them who let out a giggle as the curtain went up on Symphony in C. Possibly they had never seen people in tutus before. They quitetened down immediately. 

3 minutes ago, alison said:

Wouldn't you - and Linda - have done better, in that case, to wait for the second run of Symphony in C?  Or do you dislike the other parts of that bill equally?

I hadn't seen either of the first two pieces before. I went with an open mind about the Marriott. I am not a McGregor fan, but had heard that Infra was one of his best pieces. 

4 minutes ago, Thalia said:

They could be studying Infra. A bit like when a Shakespeare play on the curriculum is on at a theatre and all the school children descend upon it. 

Maybe, but they didn't look especially like dance students to me. (And if they were, I hope they'd study Symphony in C!). Or they could be learning about WW1 and the commemorations etc I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Darlex said:

I noticed that too. I think it was them who let out a giggle as the curtain went up on Symphony in C. Possibly they had never seen people in tutus before. They quitetened down immediately. 

One of the finest reactions to Symphony in C happened in Bristol the last time the company did a full tour of the country. They opened with Manon. Durante and Mukhamedov in their prime. 3 days later a triple bill of Winter Dreams, followed by Monotones. So far not a tutu in sight. When the curtain went up on Symphony in C there was a loud  ahh. From the audience!!

Edited by Tony Newcombe
Typo
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Maybe, but they didn't look especially like dance students to me. (And if they were, I hope they'd study Symphony in C!). Or they could be learning about WW1 and the commemorations etc I suppose.

I suppose they’ll study whatever is on the curriculum. They looked like GCSE dance students to me - both tonight and Tuesday. They were certainly with teacher-type figures. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

One of the finest reactions to Symphony in C happened in Bristol the last time the company did a full tour of the country. They opened with Manon. Durante and Mukhamedov in their prime. 3 days later a triple bill of Winter Dreams, followed by Monotones. So far not a tutu in sight. When the curtain went up on Symphony in C there was a loud  ahh. From the audience!!

I also remember 'ahs' at Covent Garden at curtain up of Symphony in C and, of course,  Raymonda Act 3. 

1 minute ago, Darlex said:

I also remember 'ahs' at Covent Garden at curtain up of Symphony in C and, of course,  Raymonda Act 3. 

There was also applause on Tuesday night when the curtain went up on S in C. Understandable!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, alison said:

I've been out of the loop for ages, stuck down here in Sussex trying to sell my mother's house,  so when someone offered me a ticket I snapped it up without checking.  When is Symphony in C on next and what other pieces are on the same bill?

I know all the information is probably online but the new ROH website gives me a headache trying to find the right page and right now I don't need the extra aggro - I'm getting enough from the buyer's solicitors!  (Sorry Lee, nothing personal)

Linda

Was anyone else aware of strange noises during Infra? At the interval after it the usher in the right Stalls Circle  was asking if anyone heard things. Because I’ve never seen Infra before I assumed the noise was part of the show.

17 minutes ago, loveclassics said:

I've been out of the loop for ages, stuck down here in Sussex trying to sell my mother's house,  so when someone offered me a ticket I snapped it up without checking.  When is Symphony in C on next and what other pieces are on the same bill?

I know all the information is probably online but the new ROH website gives me a headache trying to find the right page and right now I don't need the extra aggro - I'm getting enough from the buyer's solicitors!  (Sorry Lee, nothing personal)

Linda

I'd forgotten it was on again this season! Just checked, and it's on with The Firebird and Month in the Country in June. Can't wait!

Good luck with the house sale.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Was anyone else aware of strange noises during Infra? At the interval after it the usher in the right Stalls Circle  was asking if anyone heard things. Because I’ve never seen Infra before I assumed the noise was part of the show.

Yes, sounded like a woman screaming somewhere below Grand Tier level. Definitely not part of the soundtrack.

21 minutes ago, alison said:

Would anyone like to piece together which dancers were in whose roles for Infra, based on the original cast?

By my count: 

Original - First - Second

Benjamin - Katsura - Hinkis

Choe - Maeda - Dias

Cuthbertson - Takada - Stix-Brunell

Galeazzi - Magri - Bracher

Hamilton - O’Sullivan - Kaneko

Nuñez - Naghdi - Pajdak

Cervera - Dyer - Kay (replaced by Dyer)

Hirano - Sambé - Donnelly

Kay - Acri - Sissens

Underwood - Bracewell - Edmonds

Watkins - Serrano - Junker

Watson - Richardson - Ball

Please do correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MrsBBB said:

Yes, sounded like a woman screaming somewhere below Grand Tier level. Definitely not part of the soundtrack.

People were saying it was some sort of audio equipment, I did check to see if I was blasting everyone with the Eagles in error. 

Edited by Rob S

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'd forgotten it was on again this season! Just checked, and it's on with The Firebird and Month in the Country in June.

That's weird - I could have sworn it was on with Within the Golden Hour and something.  Must be imagining things.

47 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I noticed the usher addressing the audience in that area but I hadn’t heard anything untoward during Infra.

During Symphony in C, however, there was something that sounded like someone shouting – a wordy shriek. I thought it had come from the stage area. 

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

I'm very much not an expert, but really enjoyed Beatriz Stix-Brunell tonight - great debut in Infra and quick change of pace for Symphony in C.

I find this a tad strange.  I agree she was lovely in the SiC - as she was on the opening night - but she did not appear - as far as I am aware - in INFRA on 22.11.18.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I'd forgotten it was on again this season! Just checked, and it's on with The Firebird and Month in the Country in June. Can't wait!

Good luck with the house sale.

Thanks for the info Bridiem and for your kind wishes.  Much appreciated.

Linda

• Like 1